The Right to Bear Arms vs Right to Vote: Registration requirement

bucs90

Gold Member
Feb 25, 2010
Just asking about consistency on these two issues: Right to vote, vs Right to bear arms.

I've heard the arguments from Voter ID advocates, and of course, we must register to vote. We have a right to vote, yet, are required to register that vote.

I've heard the arguments from the Gun Control crowd that all guns should be registered (many states dont require it, the feds dont req it). You have the right to bear arms, yet, you dont have to register that arm (firearm).

Should our vote and our gun both be registered? Or, should be be free to buy guns and cast votes without the government making us register, and take our word of integrity in practicing both rights?

There's no constitutionally enumerated right to vote.

/thread

Just asking about consistency on these two issues: Right to vote, vs Right to bear arms.

I've heard the arguments from Voter ID advocates, and of course, we must register to vote. We have a right to vote, yet, are required to register that vote.

I've heard the arguments from the Gun Control crowd that all guns should be registered (many states dont require it, the feds dont req it). You have the right to bear arms, yet, you dont have to register that arm (firearm).

Should our vote and our gun both be registered? Or, should be be free to buy guns and cast votes without the government making us register, and take our word of integrity in practicing both rights?

Not the same issue at all. The right to vote is codified with a Constitutional requirement that those that vote be checked to determine legal right to vote in the district they vote in and that they can only vote once.

The right to own firearms has no such restriction. The Government already checks to ensure those that buy legal firearms are legally able to do so.

And we have laws banning some people from owning a gun. So, wouldnt a registry ensure no one owns a gun who isn't suppose to? Wont stop fraud, obviously, just like voter reg doesnt stop voting fraud. Just asking the question.

Are you also going to suggest a waiting period and proof of identity to vote? Should people prove they are not mentally ill before voting?

It would be impossible to have an honest election if people didn't register to vote.

Criminals don't legally buy guns - registration would not affect them - so what is the rationale for registering guns?
You don't have to be a citizen to buy a gun - you have to be a citizen to vote - hence you are required (in my state) to have a voter ID card to vote. I got my card when I registered at 18. It is now out of date but I registered on-line when I moved. I am still able to exercise my right to vote.

The constitution does not enumerate all our rights - see 9th amendment. The constitution only enumerates the powers the states and people gave to the federal government. The 10th amendment preserves those not mentioned to the states or the people.

• Thanks
Reactions: WUN
Guns, ammo - have only one purpose - to kill.

Of course we should have the capability to trace both to the buyer.

Criminals don't legally buy guns - registration would not affect them - so what is the rationale for registering guns?
You don't have to be a citizen to buy a gun - you have to be a citizen to vote - hence you are required (in my state) to have a voter ID card to vote. I got my card when I registered at 18. It is now out of date but I registered on-line when I moved. I am still able to exercise my right to vote.

The constitution does not enumerate all our rights - see 9th amendment. The constitution only enumerates the powers the states and people gave to the federal government. The 10th amendment preserves those not mentioned to the states or the people.

Actually most guns crooks get are legally obtained through straw buyer or private sales. None require any kind of background check.

Also the only place i've heard of are a few places like chicago that require registering only handguns, but as far as I'm aware there is nowhere else that requires guns to be registered.

The funny thing about this country is that it's easier to get a gun than it is to vote.

Whaaat? Register to vote is an argument to register firearms? How does that work?

Are you also going to suggest a waiting period and proof of identity to vote? Should people prove they are not mentally ill before voting?

How about illegal aliens? Known terrorists? Criminals?

They (and mentally ill) can buy on line, from the creep next door and from gun shows.

Actually most guns crooks get are legally obtained through straw buyer or private sales. None require any kind of background check.

Also the only place i've heard of are a few places like chicago that require registering only handguns, but as far as I'm aware there is nowhere else that requires guns to be registered.

The funny thing about this country is that it's easier to get a gun than it is to vote.
It's easier to get on food stamps than it is to get a building permit, but commie fuckchops like you squeal like the little pink pigs that you are if anyone even suggests cutting back the communistic welfare state.

Cuts both ways, comrade.

We should be registering gun buyers, not guns. Just like we register voters.

When you register to vote, you are put on an approved voter list. Then you can choose to vote or not vote, and who you vote for is strictly your business and not the government's.

When you register to be a gun buyer, you would get placed on an approved gun buyer list. Then you can choose to buy a gun or not buy a gun, and what you buy is strictly your business and not the government's.

Actually, you’ve got an apples and oranges situation when comparing the two.

Very generally speaking, in order to limit or restrict a right the state must demonstrate a compelling interest, supported by evidence, indicating the efficacy of the measure.

Obviously the only way for the state to determine if a resident is a citizen and eligible to vote is for the prospective voter to provide documentation when registering. This would also be necessary to ensure the prospective voter meets other conditions of eligibility, such as not being a felon.

But once the initial registration is completed, however, and the voter remains active on the registration rolls, he should not be compelled to prove his identity every time he votes; this manifest an undue burden to voting and can not be justified as there is no evidence that requiring ID prevents voter ‘fraud.’ Indeed, there is no evidence ID fraud has altered the outcome of any modern election.

The same would be true with regard to registering firearms: there is no evidence registration prevents gun crime, absent this evidence requiring gun registration would manifest an undue burden to one exercising his Second Amendment rights.

Whether requiring ID every time one votes or requiring gun registration, the issue isn’t what ‘sounds good,’ or ‘seems the right thing to do,’ rather, the only issue is what can the state prove in court, and what evidence can the state provide to support and justify its desire to restrict a Constitutional right.

How about illegal aliens? Known terrorists? Criminals?

They (and mentally ill) can buy on line, from the creep next door and from gun shows.

Actually there are laws that prevent assorted criminals from obtaining arms "on line" and there are laws that prevent "the creep next door" from selling a weapon to a criminal. How for do you want to go with this argument? If there are laws in place what are you proposing?

It's easier to get on food stamps than it is to get a building permit, but commie fuckchops like you squeal like the little pink pigs that you are if anyone even suggests cutting back the communistic welfare state.

Cuts both ways, comrade.

What the hell does a building permit and foodstamps have to do with the OP you neo-nazi piece of shit?

Stricter laws apply to buying a gun than for voting with one big exception: YOU HAVE TO BE A CITIZEN TO VOTE.

If you are a felon you can't vote or buy guns.
If you have been involuntarily committed you can vote but not buy guns.
If you are a violent criminal but not a felon you can vote but you can't buy a gun.
If you have been convicted of being an addict you can vote but you can't buy a gun.
If you have been convicted of alcohol addiction you can vote but you can't buy a gun.

If you want consistency you have to show me where the Constitution says anything about the right to vote not being infringed. Until you do that I will continue to be honest and point out that there is a difference between a natural right and an entitlement.

Last edited:

Cuts both ways, comrade.

What the hell does a building permit and foodstamps have to do with the OP you neo-nazi piece of shit?
You being too stupid to make the connection isn't my problem, comrade.

Forum List

Back