The role of mistakes

Mistakes happen because humans tend to make them. It is human nature to make mistakes. Now if you are c level and make mistakes, no big deal. You likely will be rewarded. If you are low level, you get fired.

The company that fires the most mistake prone people will dominate an industry.

Where will they find replacements that will never make mistakes? West Point? Harvard? Any suggestions on where to find perfect employees?

too stupid we are talking about people who make more mistakes than others not people who make no mistakes.
Do you have the IQ to follow??

I can only assume that I am not making too many if they keep paying me.

If I get fired for making mistakes then I can assume that I have made too many. Otherwise I have not been able to gauge my effectiveness as an employee.

Some managers pretend a mistake is the end of the world but don't back it up by firing me. Some managers just find the mistake and move on.

With that kind of diversity how do I get the feedback I need?

How many mistakes should a person make? 3? 5?

fewer than the competition!! Now do you understand??

notice the way you try to deceive. First you try to make it a debate about making no mistakes which obviously is impossible and then about a specific number of mistakes which is also impossible.
You probably don't think well about any number of subjects.

Last edited:
How many mistakes should a person make? 3? 5?

fewer than the competition!! Now do you understand??

In other words I shouldn't really concern myself over it. I honestly believe that if I am a hindrance to my employer then I would rather be at home sleeping than working.

I would gladly leave without protest if I believed I was screwing over the company. On the other hand I don't won't to leave them high and dry by leaving when they really wanted me to stay around.

Understand my dilemma?

I would gladly leave without protest if I believed I was screwing over the company. On the other hand I don't won't to leave them high and dry by leaving when they really wanted me to stay around.

dear, if you think you are doing harm and they think you are doing good, I would stay on assumption that they are far smarter than you.

dear, if you think you are doing harm and they think you are doing good, I would stay on assumption that they are far smarter than you.

I just keep staying because they give me a paycheck. If they want to use me as a punching bag in the meantime I am ok with that too. However I would prefer sitting at home and doing nothing.

I just keep staying because they give me a paycheck. If they want to use me as a punching bag in the meantime I am ok with that too. However I would prefer sitting at home and doing nothing.

just try harder to make as few mistakes as possible. sitting at home before you have a better job is just quitting.

w

why not go to them and ask if they can help you make fewer mistakes?

just try harder to make as few mistakes as possible. sitting at home before you have a better job is just quitting.

I never tried to make mistakes.

w

That sounds good. I guess I will never understand this concept.

I would be quitting for their benefit not mine.

I'm just going to assume everything is fine if they keep giving me a paycheck. If they cut my pay then I will take that as an indication that they don't want me around.

What is the role of mistakes in the workplace?

1. Normal occurrences
2. An opportunity to fire incompetent employees
3. An opportunity to change/tweak procedure
4. Something that needs to be fixed
5. Something funny to provide entertainment and improve morale
6. A mistake obligates the manager to provide formal counsel every time a mistake is made

I know there are some differing philosophies about this topic. I have worked at companies that all had differing responses to mistakes that are made.

Are mistakes a complete travesty or an inevitability that requires no action?
I've always looked at mistakes as a statement on the effectiveness of leadership, procedures, and a team motivator.

People make mistakes because they dont know something which points to substandard training/guidance. Some people dont ask for help because the work climate created by the manager doesnt foster it.

If the procedure is the issue then yes its an opportunity to change or improve the procedure. This should be done constantly anyway in order to be proactive. Again this points back to leadership.

A mistake can be used as a team building moment by pointing it out and asking for input on how it should have been done. More likely than not the people that do the task daily would have the best and most timely method of how to do it. After that you get a group agreement to be better and hold each other accountable.

Is this still the case when someone types a 4 instead of a 9?
Yes. Its not that hard to proofread your typing. Its an extra step that needs to be done if the result is significantly damaging.

w

Thats their responsibility. If you have an employee making mistakes you dont wait for that employee to approach you. You correct the action with training.

Forum List

Back