The ‘smoking gun’ proving North Carolina Republicans tried to disenfranchise black voters

Just like Liberals said. We're always right!

The ‘smoking gun’ proving North Carolina Republicans tried to disenfranchise black voters

*snip*

One of the most comprehensive studies on the subject found only 31 individual cases of voter impersonation out of more than 1 billion votes cast in the United States since the year 2000. Researchers have found that reports of voter fraud are roughly as common as reports of alien abduction.

The federal court in Richmond found that the primary purpose of North Carolina's wasn't to stop voter fraud, but rather to disenfranchise minority voters. The judges found that the provisions "target African Americans with almost surgical precision."

In particular, the court found that North Carolina lawmakers requested data on racial differences in voting behaviors in the state. "This data showed that African Americans disproportionately lacked the most common kind of photo ID, those issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)," the judges wrote.

So the legislators made it so that the only acceptable forms of voter identification were the ones disproportionately used by white people. "With race data in hand, the legislature amended the bill to exclude many of the alternative photo IDs used by African Americans," the judges wrote. "The bill retained only the kinds of IDs that white North Carolinians were more likely to possess."

The data also showed that black voters were more likely to make use of early voting — particularly the first seven days out of North Carolina's 17-day voting period. So lawmakers eliminated these seven days of voting. "After receipt of this racial data, the General Assembly amended the bill to eliminate the first week of early voting, shortening the total early voting period from seventeen to ten days," the court found.

Most strikingly, the judges point to a "smoking gun" in North Carolina's justification for the law, proving discriminatory intent. The state argued in court that "counties with Sunday voting in 2014 were disproportionately black" and "disproportionately Democratic," and said it did away with Sunday voting as a result.

"Thus, in what comes as close to a smoking gun as we are likely to see in modern times, the State’s very justification for a challenged statute hinges explicitly on race — specifically its concern that African Americans, who had overwhelmingly voted for Democrats, had too much access to the franchise," the judges write in their decision.

This is about as clear-cut an indictment of the discriminatory underpinnings of voter-ID laws as you'll find anywhere. Studies have already shown a significant link between support for voter ID and racial discrimination, among both lawmakers and white voters in general.

"Faced with this record," the federal court concludes, "we can only conclude that the North Carolina General Assembly enacted the challenged provisions of the law with discriminatory intent."

Ya know what's funny.... You couldn't get into the DNC convention without showing ID. What's good for the goose, is good for the gander don't ya know...
You couldn't get into the RNC convention with a gun, in open-carry Ohio.

So what's your point?

Non sequitur much?:laugh::laugh:
I've asked you twice to tell me what your point is, and you respond with this?

That's all you deserve, sunshine....

One of the most comprehensive studies on the subject found only 31 individual cases of voter impersonation out of more than 1 billion votes cast in the United States since the year 2000. Researchers have found that reports of voter fraud are roughly as common as reports of alien abduction.

This study brought to you by: The DNC.
False, bitch.

Again, you have nothing but your failed bullshit.

Doe someone need another Drumpf Day?

Just like Liberals said. We're always right!

*snip*

The federal court in Richmond found that the primary purpose of North Carolina's wasn't to stop voter fraud, but rather to disenfranchise minority voters. The judges found that the provisions "target African Americans with almost surgical precision."

In particular, the court found that North Carolina lawmakers requested data on racial differences in voting behaviors in the state. "This data showed that African Americans disproportionately lacked the most common kind of photo ID, those issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)," the judges wrote.

So the legislators made it so that the only acceptable forms of voter identification were the ones disproportionately used by white people. "With race data in hand, the legislature amended the bill to exclude many of the alternative photo IDs used by African Americans," the judges wrote. "The bill retained only the kinds of IDs that white North Carolinians were more likely to possess."

The data also showed that black voters were more likely to make use of early voting — particularly the first seven days out of North Carolina's 17-day voting period. So lawmakers eliminated these seven days of voting. "After receipt of this racial data, the General Assembly amended the bill to eliminate the first week of early voting, shortening the total early voting period from seventeen to ten days," the court found.

Most strikingly, the judges point to a "smoking gun" in North Carolina's justification for the law, proving discriminatory intent. The state argued in court that "counties with Sunday voting in 2014 were disproportionately black" and "disproportionately Democratic," and said it did away with Sunday voting as a result.

"Thus, in what comes as close to a smoking gun as we are likely to see in modern times, the State’s very justification for a challenged statute hinges explicitly on race — specifically its concern that African Americans, who had overwhelmingly voted for Democrats, had too much access to the franchise," the judges write in their decision.

This is about as clear-cut an indictment of the discriminatory underpinnings of voter-ID laws as you'll find anywhere. Studies have already shown a significant link between support for voter ID and racial discrimination, among both lawmakers and white voters in general.

"Faced with this record," the federal court concludes, "we can only conclude that the North Carolina General Assembly enacted the challenged provisions of the law with discriminatory intent."

Ya know what's funny.... You couldn't get into the DNC convention without showing ID. What's good for the goose, is good for the gander don't ya know...
You couldn't get into the RNC convention with a gun, in open-carry Ohio.

So what's your point?

Non sequitur much?:laugh::laugh:
I've asked you twice to tell me what your point is, and you respond with this?

That's all you deserve, sunshine....
It's always been easy for me to weed out the posers from the posters. You've never been a threat.

everyone homes in on voter id, but the op also mentions cutting down early voting and eliminating sunday as a day to vote.

If voting is that important to a person, they should be able to get to the polls in a single day.

Hell, make polling 24 hours, one evening to another, but early voting leads to people making a choice before all the information may be out and about, and opens up avenues for fraud.

Pass ports expensive,

Lmao the last one was $50 bucks and good for 10 years.

Been awhile, it was more than $50 in the 90's when I got my first one. Now they are $110.

http://www.uspassporthelpguide.com/passport-fee/

>>>>
...which no American should be forced to pay in order to exercise their Constitutional right to vote.

You don't pay for a password to exercise the Constitutional right to vote, you pay for a passport for international travel. Use internally the the US as a means of identification is collateral to that.

>>>>

Pass ports expensive,

Lmao the last one was $50 bucks and good for 10 years.

Been awhile, it was more than $50 in the 90's when I got my first one. Now they are $110.

http://www.uspassporthelpguide.com/passport-fee/

>>>>
...which no American should be forced to pay in order to exercise their Constitutional right to vote.

You don't pay for a password to exercise the Constitutional right to vote, you pay for a passport for international travel. Use internally the the US as a means of identification is collateral to that.

>>>>

Damn they are $110 bucks now?

For what is this disney world now?

The North Carolina law said a college issued ID was unacceptable but a state issued CCW was..

That's not racist, that is just biased against college kids going to a southern school on mommy's dime that live in the blue states.

Students are still residents of the state.

The North Carolina law said a college issued ID was unacceptable but a state issued CCW was..

That's not racist, that is just biased against college kids going to a southern school on mommy's dime that live in the blue states.

By mommy and daddy, they didn't grow up there with the same values..they vote to Fuck it up , then most will leave giggling and high diving each other.

Just like the members of congress setting rules that they themselves don't have to abide by.

I really don't think that was the intentions by the founding fathers.

But hey if you want more moral decay..go for IT.

By mommy and daddy, they didn't grow up there with the same values..they vote to Fuck it up , then most will leave giggling and high diving each other.

Just like the members of congress setting rules that they themselves don't have to abide by.

College students have always been able to vote at school. Putting unreasonable restrictions such as not allowing them to use their photo student ID is not necessary and is un-American.

College students have always been able to vote at school. Putting unreasonable restrictions such as not allowing them to use their photo student ID is not necessary and is un-American.

The logical thinking is, they look at how liberals totally trashed their home states , why would you let them throw a local election that they have no stake in?

The logical thinking is, they look at how liberals totally trashed their home states , why would you let them throw a local election that they have no stake in?
They're not "throwing" anything. They're of voting age and legal residents. Get over it.

They're not "throwing" anything. They're of voting age and legal residents. Get over it.

That is an ulterior motive, vote and run home when you graduate.

Giggling and high fiving all the way..

That's outsiders throwing an election.

They are throwing an election to raise taxes and don't have to pay for it..

But it does work both ways thank God, their parents vote to raise taxes in the blue states, run and take their pensions with them and move to red states.

They are now in heaven paid for by future tax payers of blue states.

A funny America we live in.

First, out of State Students are not considered residents of the State, ask any college student about the hoops you have to jump through and the time it take to qualify for in-state tuition.

Secondly, students who travel normally would not meet the residency requirements for college away from home.

I don't live in North Carolina, but I have had two children go though school. We live in Yorktown, VA - my daughter when to college in Harrisonburg, VA. Her home address was Yorktown even though she lived in the Dorm at college during her Freshman and Sophomore years. We ensure she knew she need to get an absentee ballot before she left. The Dorm is not a permanent address as you can't stay there year round. They kick you out during breaks and over the summer.

Now during her Junior and Senior years, she rented an apartment and so could have registered in the local area if she wanted.

What is the big deal about college students voting absentee like members of the Military. Voted that way for 20 years and never missed an election.

>>>>

First, out of State Students are not considered residents of the State, ask any college student about the hoops you have to jump through and the time it take to qualify for in-state tuition.

Secondly, students who travel normally would not meet the residency requirements for college away from home.

I don't live in North Carolina, but I have had two children go though school. We live in Yorktown, VA - my daughter when to college in Harrisonburg, VA. Her home address was Yorktown even though she lived in the Dorm at college during her Freshman and Sophomore years. We ensure she knew she need to get an absentee ballot before she left. The Dorm is not a permanent address as you can't stay there year round. They kick you out during breaks and over the summer.

Now during her Junior and Senior years, she rented an apartment and so could have registered in the local area if she wanted.

What is the big deal about college students voting absentee like members of the Military. Voted that way for 20 years and never missed an election.

>>>>

I'm not talking about tuition. I'm talking about being a legal resident of the state for voting purposes. Elections are generally held in November during the school year. There is no reason they should not be able to vote locally using their school ID. If the state has concerns with them voting on local issues, then maybe just give them a ballot for the general. Putting hurdles in place is not the answer.

Not if they maintain a residence in another. At that point they have to choose.

This is more of a concern in local elections, where the issue is why should someone on a 4 year visit get to decide things that impact people who have lived there and will live at a location for decades?

Forum List

Back