The snap receivers should work.

When you give them more SNAP money they can afford to buy better food. That's true. Then we save money on Obamacare. They eat better, are healthier and use Obamacare less.
More SNAP money = more junk food = more obesity and poor health.

The more SNAP money they get the more processed and packaged foods they buy. One USDA official boasted that with the increased benefits recipients would be able to buy such things as individually packaged single serving foods, such as flavored yogurt.

Last edited:
The bill would also require more older workers to prove they have a job or are in a training program in order to receive food stamps. Currently, able-bodied adults between 18 to 49 and who don't have children are required to work 20 hours a week or enroll in a work training program to receive aid from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or SNAP, the formal name for the food-stamp program.

What is one suppose to do IF not working. I agree!
I think it's funny how the government tells people that if they just work 20 hours a week instead of 40, the government will give them free food so the poor pathetic things don't have to work 40 hours per week. Then the left call it corporate welfare.

There is no such bill that would require "older" adults" to work. It's a left wing twist of a bill that hasn't even been developed. Desperate times call for desperate propaganda while the freaking Country is falling apart and American cities are overwhelmed by illegal criminal aliens.
We're going through a tough time right now but hang in there. Are you not saving enough to retire? If you are then the country really isn't falling apart on you now is it?

Us rich people think things are going great. We've never been richer. You know what will fix your problem? Give US more tax breaks. Eventually it'll trickle down to you stupid.

More SNAP money = more junk food = more obesity and poor health.

The more SNAP money they get the more processed and packaged foods they buy. One USDA official boasted that with the increased benefits recipients would be able to buy such things as individually packaged single serving foods, such as flavored yogurt.
Not true.

The end to the extra benefits — coupled with the rising costs of food — will be a hardship for many, said Linda Jones, the co-founder of a food distribution nonprofit based in Alabama, one of the states affected by the change this month.

"They're just already down and out. They don't have very much to begin with," she said in an interview with NPR. "And then when you take something else from them and then with the prices going up, it's just extra hard on them."

In Alabama 12% on snap are white. 25% are black. 25% are hispanics. Could it be you don't like SNAP because most of it's going to blacks and hispanics? I'm sure they're rather make enough that they can get off SNAP. I thought RED states did a better job for blacks than us Blue cities. Seems your blacks are stuck in poverty. And then you say affirmative action isn't necessary? Perhaps Alabama companies need to start hiring more black people.

Instead, the costs are shifted, she explained — to states, to local governments, to charities, and within the households themselves, as recipients work to recalculate how to spend their limited income.

"Do they buy fewer items of less variety? Do they serve smaller amounts at meals? Who in the family is going to go hungry?" she said.

The steepest drops will disproportionately hit elderly people, she said. Older adults who qualify for the minimum SNAP benefit will see their amount fall from $281 per month to just $23 in March.

On average, those who qualify for SNAP will now receive about $6 per person per day.

Last month, as the end of the federal pandemic-era boost in benefits approached, New Jersey became the first state to pass SNAP legislation in 2023: All beneficiaries in that state will now receive at least $95 in benefits each month, and if the federal government determines you qualify for a lower amount, a state-funded supplement will make up the difference.

Lawmakers in 27 other states have introduced legislation to strengthen SNAP so far this year

Low-income people who are at least 60 years old may qualify for programs targeted at seniors, including the Seniors Farmers' Market Nutrition Program, which provides coupons for fresh produce at farmers markets.

Not true.

The end to the extra benefits — coupled with the rising costs of food — will be a hardship for many, said Linda Jones, the co-founder of a food distribution nonprofit based in Alabama, one of the states affected by the change this month.

"They're just already down and out. They don't have very much to begin with," she said in an interview with NPR. "And then when you take something else from them and then with the prices going up, it's just extra hard on them."

In Alabama 12% on snap are white. 25% are black. 25% are hispanics. Could it be you don't like SNAP because most of it's going to blacks and hispanics? I'm sure they're rather make enough that they can get off SNAP. I thought RED states did a better job for blacks than us Blue cities. Seems your blacks are stuck in poverty. And then you say affirmative action isn't necessary? Perhaps Alabama companies need to start hiring more black people.

Instead, the costs are shifted, she explained — to states, to local governments, to charities, and within the households themselves, as recipients work to recalculate how to spend their limited income.

"Do they buy fewer items of less variety? Do they serve smaller amounts at meals? Who in the family is going to go hungry?" she said.

The steepest drops will disproportionately hit elderly people, she said. Older adults who qualify for the minimum SNAP benefit will see their amount fall from $281 per month to just $23 in March.

On average, those who qualify for SNAP will now receive about $6 per person per day.

Last month, as the end of the federal pandemic-era boost in benefits approached, New Jersey became the first state to pass SNAP legislation in 2023: All beneficiaries in that state will now receive at least $95 in benefits each month, and if the federal government determines you qualify for a lower amount, a state-funded supplement will make up the difference.

Lawmakers in 27 other states have introduced legislation to strengthen SNAP so far this year

Low-income people who are at least 60 years old may qualify for programs targeted at seniors, including the Seniors Farmers' Market Nutrition Program, which provides coupons for fresh produce at farmers markets.
People on SNAP buy lots of junk foods. The fact that they buy much the same foods as everyone else suggests that they don't really understand that they are poor. This also suggests that they aren't terribly concerned about their health. o_O

"The SNAP allowance is easily able to provide 100 percent of a person's nutritional needs." -Woodznutz

The people who manage the program are well aware of this but cannot state it because of liability issues. However, even without the 30 percent contribution that is the recipient's part of 'calculated' food costs the SNAP benefit can provide a complete nutritional diet.

Last edited:
From the article you didnt read
But the bill would raise that requirement for people up to age 65,
Most adults who are under 65 and who get SNAP benefits are already working or are temporarily between jobs, the left-leaning think tank noted.

I think it's funny how the government tells people that if they just work 20 hours a week instead of 40, the government will give them free food so the poor pathetic things don't have to work 40 hours per week. Then the left call it corporate welfare.
I always worked 40+ hours per week, when I was able too.

People on SNAP buy lots of junk foods. The fact that they buy much the same foods as everyone else suggests that they don't really understand that they are poor. This also suggests that they aren't terribly concerned about their health. o_O

Just a real shame.

I agree the age should be raised to 65. That would be a good start. What would be better is a hard look at what qualifies someone to be defined as disabled for the purposes of SNAP applications.

There are quite a few in my wife’s family who claim “mental health” disability to qualify for SNAP even as they are more than healthy enough to work. I was never taught that Laziness was a disability.

If everyone could snap () their fingers and get a job, she might have a point.

I've seen lots of personal experiences to know they aren't 100% wrong. The people who get SNAP. I'm sure if you analyze each of their lives you can be a bitch, point fingers and say "you see? This is why you don't DESERVE welfare"

I'm sure most of them don't "deserve" it if you look close enough.

My neighbor went on disability in her 50's. Why'd she get so fat right? She doesn't "deserve" disability.

My poker buddy Jeff who has been a piece of shit drunk his whole life. Sorry but he qualifies for SNAP. What are Republicans going to do? Hire people to council these people? Or go after each of them, find a flaw with how they live and use it as an excuse to take their SNAP away. Fine but start with white people first so it doesn't come off as racist.

We have a great party that cares about the poor. It's called the Democratic party. Biden and I believe you take care of the middle class first. Then the poor have a shot and the rich do well too.

The DEMS do everything they can to keep the poor poor.
They offer all of the pie in the sky bullshit every election yet they never deliver.
Thank God the black population is getting wise finally.

The DEMS do everything they can to keep the poor poor.
They offer all of the pie in the sky bullshit every election yet they never deliver.
Thank God the black population is getting wise finally.
Bullshit. Dems/Libs created a middle class the world had never seen before. The only people who were poor were people who wanted to be poor. There were plenty of jobs. In Michigan the Big 3 had this entire state BOOMING! Unions made sure the middle class got their fair share. 35% of workers were union. The rest who weren't in unions could thank the unions for bringing their wages up too. Companies had to compete with union wages. And they feared their employees might unionize. And EVERYONE made money. Google Ford and GM record profits in the 1990's. There was no problem with the unions. Then Bush got in and fucked the country up. Sent all those good paying jobs to China and Mexico.

Actually the beginning of the end was Reagan. He started the silent war on the middle class. He started taking on unions. He started turning a blind eye to illegals. He raised the retirement age. He started giving tax breaks out to rich people and corporations.

Reagan and Republicans make the middle class poor.

Bullshit. Dems/Libs created a middle class the world had never seen before. The only people who were poor were people who wanted to be poor. There were plenty of jobs. In Michigan the Big 3 had this entire state BOOMING! Unions made sure the middle class got their fair share. 35% of workers were union. The rest who weren't in unions could thank the unions for bringing their wages up too. Companies had to compete with union wages. And they feared their employees might unionize. And EVERYONE made money. Google Ford and GM record profits in the 1990's. There was no problem with the unions. Then Bush got in and fucked the country up. Sent all those good paying jobs to China and Mexico.

Actually the beginning of the end was Reagan. He started the silent war on the middle class. He started taking on unions. He started turning a blind eye to illegals. He raised the retirement age. He started giving tax breaks out to rich people and corporations.

Reagan and Republicans make the middle class poor.

Yeah...thats why blue collar workers are bailing on the dems left and right.
Now the dems are replacing blue collar workers with immigrants.

Many snap receivers do work. They work at Walmart. And they make so little that they qualify for SNAP.
Why don’t they have the skill set to command a higher wage?
Didn’t the public school system prepare them for adult responsibilities?
Is college too expensive?

Why don’t they have the skill set to command a higher wage?
Didn’t the public school system prepare them for adult responsibilities?
Is college too expensive?

They should go to trade school.
Cheaper and they make money right off the bat.
There's a study out there that shows those who go to trade school and start working immediately outpace the four year college grad in pay.
Plus they can start their own business.

Forum List

Back