The Tea Party vs a $70 million HS Football Stadium

I am a USMB poster......I get to bitch about anything I please

In this case, Texans bitching about taxes while they waste money on a 70 million stadium for teenagers

All that bitching for nothing, the bond proposal failed. Next subject.

If it failed, I'd say "all the bitching" was not for nothing. Apparently the "bitching" worked.

You mean rightwingers bitching worked this time?

BTW it did fail by a rather large margin. 55% - 45%

khou.com | Houston News, Local News, Breaking News, Weather | Elections - All Races

$70 million

Would pay for 175,000 laptop computers
Would pay a years tuition at a Texas University for 14,000 students

Would pay a month's supply of condoms for Sandra Fluke.

You know she wasn't testifying about herself don't you? She was talking about someone else that needed birth control for a health condition, not to prevent pregnancy.

Oh yeah, sure, for a friend, yeah, that's it, a friend... :eusa_whistle:

$70 million

Would pay for 175,000 laptop computers
Would pay a years tuition at a Texas University for 14,000 students

You know she wasn't testifying about herself don't you? She was talking about someone else that needed birth control for a health condition, not to prevent pregnancy.

What medical condition requires $70 million worth of condoms a month?

(Please say nymphomania, please, please, please, please :cool:)

What medical condition requires $70 million worth of condoms a month?

(Please say nymphomania, please, please, please, please :cool:)

I wouldn't do Sandra Fluke with your dick, even if it was sheathed in $70 million of condoms. :D

Kaz, there are mineral ownership rights and lots of times those aren't transferred to the next landowner. There can be shallow or deep rights also.

What I am aware of recently is the horizontal fracking where government is granting the rights miles under ground. It's like a development where if landowners had to sign off, one landowner could block the project because it's not practical to avoid a random property. Government OK'd the drilling, but the landowners are actually getting royalty checks. A handful of liberals want to stop them for their political ideology and keep us dependent on foreign oil so we load tankers up and float them across oceans to protect the environment while sending checks to prop up despotic governments. Yes, liberals are morons.

If manifold is referring to something else, maybe he could be more specific.
The royalty checks go the owner of the mineral rights which may or may not be land owner. I don't think the concern is political ideology but rather potential damage particularly to Aquifers. In this case, I think the reward is worth the risk. However, if this turns into an ecological disaster, the cleanup costs will be huge.

Normally, aquifers are found in the shallow areas ie 500 to 1500 feet below surface. Double casing is run through the vertical and contains the integrity of the aquifer. Fracturing occurs at depths of 5000 to 10000 feet depending on what formation you are in. The fracture propagates out approximately 600 feet. Aquifers are in no danger of contamination.

Houston also voted down $250 million to rebuild the Astrodome

Also a local issue for local taxpayers to decide.

Your point?

We are not allowed to discuss local issues?

Their vote, in either Katy or Houston does not effect my taxes as a citizen of Texas. Personally I'm glad both were voted down and frankly I think they should have separated the sports stadium from the new science center and the other education based issue in Katy.

Good point..

So if the citizens of Katy (or anywhere else in Texas) had a choice to build a $20 million Science and Technology Center to turn out Engineers, Scientists, Computer Scientists and Doctors or spend $70 million on a Football Stadium to turn out Football Players

How would they choose?

Guess which state?

The Tea Party vs. the $70 million high school football stadium - The Week

In Texas, pretty much the only thing more popular than low taxes is football. Hence the awkward battle in Katy, Texas, over a proposal to build the most expensive high school football stadium in the United States.

The 14,000-seat stadium would be built next to the 10,000-seat stadium the school already has. Improvements would include state-of-the-art lighting, concourses to provide shelter during storms, bigger bathrooms, and adjacent field houses to hold weight rooms and offices for the staff. The proposed price tag is $69.5 million.

Every other stadium that even comes close is located in, you guessed it, Texas. That includes the $49 million Woodforest Bank Stadium near Houston and the Alamo Stadium in San Antonio, a 23,000-seat facility that is currently undergoing a $35 million renovation.

Of course, it's not Jerry Jones who is footing the nearly $70 million bill for Katy's new football stadium; it's the taxpayers, as part of a $100 million bond package. And that has some local Tea Party members, like Cyndi Lawrence, angry, according to the Houston Chronicle:

A $69 million price tag for a second stadium is excessive on the backs of the taxpayers … Just a few years ago, the housing market crashed. Who's to say this market is stable? If something happens again, they will be forced to raise taxes. I think it's just bad planning, putting that much debt on future generations.

Let me guess, since the stadium is infrastructure and/or education, and the Tea Party is against it, it is good.

Or are you just being stupid?

Mama always says.......Stupid is as stupid does

Paying $70 million on a HS Football Stadium would even have Forrest laughing at ya

Then you agree with the Tea Party, but still hate them for being right.

Interesting.

Good point..

So if the citizens of Katy (or anywhere else in Texas) had a choice to build a $20 million Science and Technology Center to turn out Engineers, Scientists, Computer Scientists and Doctors or spend $70 million on a Football Stadium to turn out Football Players

How would they choose?

I can only say how I would vote.

Houston also voted down $250 million to rebuild the Astrodome

And you don't get the difference between funding a stadium for a private business and a government school, do you, big guy?

I understand the difference in a $100 million "education" expenditure where $70 million is on a football stadium

All this time liberals have been arguing "majority rule" to justify the confiscation and redistribution of trillions of dollars of other people's money. Suddenly, majority rule doesn't make it right because "football."

You're a flaming hypocrite. No news there, just pointing out another example.

And you don't get the difference between funding a stadium for a private business and a government school, do you, big guy?

I understand the difference in a $100 million "education" expenditure where $70 million is on a football stadium

All this time liberals have been arguing "majority rule" to justify the confiscation and redistribution of trillions of dollars of other people's money. Suddenly, majority rule doesn't make it right because "football."

The majority is allowed to make stupid decisions

And the majority of posters are allowed to ridicule them for it

Your issue with it is purely political. Your hatred of an iconic red state. You could care less if you weren't a political hack.

Given your view that a community can confiscate money and redistribute it freely to the point of discouraging people from self responsibility, to spend money on something that's overwhelmingly popular in the community is what's "stupid."

And as I pointed out, you know nothing of the full financial, only the price tag. They sell a lot of tickets in Texas.

Your issue with it is purely political. Your hatred of an iconic red state. You could care less if you weren't a political hack.

Given your view that a community can confiscate money and redistribute it freely to the point of discouraging people from self responsibility, to spend money on something that's overwhelmingly popular in the community is what's "stupid."

And as I pointed out, you know nothing of the full financial, only the price tag. They sell a lot of tickets in Texas.

Don't try to sell me any bullshit that this stadium will pay for itself. Even NFL Stadiums do not pay for themselves

I am merely mocking the State of Texas (yes, this is a Texas wide problem) for their misplaced priorities. If Texans were passing bond issues to build Science and Technology Centers to turn out future engineers, scientists, doctors and computer scientists, I would applaud them

$70 million taxpayer dollars to turn out football players....I don't think so

Don't try to sell me any bullshit that this stadium will pay for itself. Even NFL Stadiums do not pay for themselves

I am merely mocking the State of Texas (yes, this is a Texas wide problem) for their misplaced priorities. If Texans were passing bond issues to build Science and Technology Centers to turn out future engineers, scientists, doctors and computer scientists, I would applaud them

Who pushed this into the bond bill?

Texas Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (T-STEM) Centers

Texas Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (T-STEM) Centers

http://www.thecb.state.tx.us/reports/PDF/2942.PDF?CFID=3289629&CFTOKEN=32118148

AVAILABLE FUNDING
T-STEM is funded from a grant provided to the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB) from the Texas Guaranteed Student Loan Corporation (TG). TG committed $8.5 million to support the program for the 2012-2013 biennium. A total of $3 million in direct student support was used in the first year of the program’s operation, for a balance of $5.5 million.

$8.5 million funding for STEM for the whole state while one school district will spend $70 million for a football stadium

Typical liberal idiotic polar extremes, it can either "pay for itself" or it generates zero revenue, those are the choices.

Bam, now that's what I'm talking about. You get to decide what is priority. If it passes collectivist liberal muster, then it's OK with you. But if a red state priorities their community interest, then that's not OK with you. You are the standard for reasonable.

How do you stand the stench of hypocrisy being in the same room with yourself?

Typical liberal idiotic polar extremes, it can either "pay for itself" or it generates zero revenue, those are the choices.

Bam, now that's what I'm talking about. You get to decide what is priority. If it passes collectivist liberal muster, then it's OK with you. But if a red state priorities their community interest, then that's not OK with you. You are the standard for reasonable.

I love the game of Football and have been watching it for over 50 years. But I understand that it is a game. Entertainment

I have also been an Engineer for over 35 years and understand that developing Scientists, Engineers, Doctors and Computer Scientists is a better investment for a society than developing football players

I love the game of Football and have been watching it for over 50 years. But I understand that it is a game. Entertainment

I have also been an Engineer for over 35 years and understand that developing Scientists, Engineers, Doctors and Computer Scientists is a better investment for a society than developing football players

Deflection

Forum List

Back