The Two Faces Of EVs: Brilliant In Town, Hopeless In The Fast Lane

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia

Electric vehicles are mainly overpriced city cars, fine for local use but hopeless if you plan a long trip on fast motorways.

Next-generation solid-state technology batteries promise to half the price, weight and cost, and double the range. But until solid-state arrives, and this seems unlikely in any great numbers until at least 2030, EVs will remain the unfinished article.

Meanwhile, European car buyers are being effectively gaslit by a lack of detailed information about the EVs they are being persuaded to buy. Not only is official range information often seriously exaggerated. An important negative is deliberately omitted; the fact that high but legal autoroute cruising slashes range by between 30 and 60%.

EV buyers need honest data which should include a rating of fast-lane performance.

ACEA, the European Automobile Manufacturers’ Association, known by its French acronym, was asked to comment on the quality of range data in general and the possibility of a motorway performance rating but declined to reply.

“Range falls off a cliff at high speed. For an electric car, the extra energy required getting from 60 mph to 75 mph is astonishing and virtually doubles energy consumption to move all that air out of the way,” Wells has said.

This range argument has been the elephant in the room for years. Back in 2012 when I questioned Elon Musk at the Geneva car show, he confirmed that Tesla average range claims were measured at 55 mph. It doesn’t much imagination to realize cruising at 75 mph is going to slash range.

EV range at autoroute cruising speeds is cut often by between 30% and 60%.

That explains why I pass so many Teslas and Mach Es like they are standing still when on the interstate.

Sigh, if only there was a nationwide charging system that still had their cables attached.....How many billions did we lay out for that?

Doesn't matter, charge time from empty is too long for cross country travel to be practical anyway.

Exactly, if you're someone who just drives around town and rarely takes your car long range they might make sense for you, but that doesn't describe most Americans. One day we'll probably get there, but it isn't today and herding us headfirst into a wall isn't going to help us.

Electric vehicles are mainly overpriced city cars, fine for local use but hopeless if you plan a long trip on fast motorways.

Next-generation solid-state technology batteries promise to half the price, weight and cost, and double the range. But until solid-state arrives, and this seems unlikely in any great numbers until at least 2030, EVs will remain the unfinished article.

Meanwhile, European car buyers are being effectively gaslit by a lack of detailed information about the EVs they are being persuaded to buy. Not only is official range information often seriously exaggerated. An important negative is deliberately omitted; the fact that high but legal autoroute cruising slashes range by between 30 and 60%.

EV buyers need honest data which should include a rating of fast-lane performance.

ACEA, the European Automobile Manufacturers’ Association, known by its French acronym, was asked to comment on the quality of range data in general and the possibility of a motorway performance rating but declined to reply.

“Range falls off a cliff at high speed. For an electric car, the extra energy required getting from 60 mph to 75 mph is astonishing and virtually doubles energy consumption to move all that air out of the way,” Wells has said.

This range argument has been the elephant in the room for years. Back in 2012 when I questioned Elon Musk at the Geneva car show, he confirmed that Tesla average range claims were measured at 55 mph. It doesn’t much imagination to realize cruising at 75 mph is going to slash range.

That explains why I pass so many Teslas and Mach Es like they are standing still when on the interstate.

Sigh, if only there was a nationwide charging system that still had their cables attached.....How many billions did we lay out for that?

Doesn't matter, charge time from empty is too long for cross country travel to be practical anyway.
Perfect post.... Yeah that's basically what it's amounts to; An "around the town " errands buggy.

So you won't be supporting the fossil fuel industry disinformation campaign or voting for Trump?
wait-what.gif

I remember back in the olden days when cell phones were the size of bricks and didnt work worth a shit,,

all new tech has to go through growth to where its ready for everyday use,,

I don't see why smaller gas or diesel engines couldn't power a larger electric motor.

That's how trains that pull 100s of tons of weight run. Obviously the torque is doable.

I don't see why smaller gas or diesel engines couldn't power a larger electric motor.
if youre talking about hybrid, the problem comes when the engine has to constantly rev up and down to keep up with the motor,,

a train with diesel electric doesnt have that problem because they are more or less constant and not stopping for lights or pedestrians,,

the prius works because it has a battery that runs the electric motor and the ICE just makes sure the battery is always fully charged,,

if youre talking about hybrid, the problem comes when the engine has to constantly rev up and down to keep up with the motor,,

a train with diesel electric doesnt have that problem because they are more or less constant and not stopping for lights or pedestrians,,

the prius works because it has a battery that runs the electric motor and the ICE just makes sure the battery is always fully charged,,
That would only work if it was a smaller battery because of the weight factor.

That would only work if it was a smaller battery because of the weight factor.
of course the battery would be smaller,, it has the ICE to keep it fully charged where a straight EV doesnt,,

heres a guy doing it with old trucks,,
its boring but he explains a lot of what we are talking about

hes got other videos talking in depth than this one,

heres a sweet idea hes got

Why? We have plenty of Oil-Gasoline (the earth makes more every day). What’s the rush? To involve the GOVT to restrict or demand or over-tax?

When the market makes a good reliable car…we will be interested. For now, we’re all good. I got gas stations all over. Every 200 miles coast to coast or Mexico border to Canada.

of course the battery would be smaller,, it has the ICE to keep it fully charged where a straight EV doesnt,,

heres a guy doing it with old trucks,,
its boring but he explains a lot of what we are talking about

hes got other videos talking in depth than this one,

heres a sweet idea hes got

It's not boring to me! :D

Also, what is a truck like that faster than? Wait, does the electric motor make it go faster?

Because with a 240 or 300, the only thing a truck like that is passing is an old Volksvagen.

It's not boring to me! :D

Also, what is a truck like that faster than? Wait, does the electric motor make it go faster?

Because with a 240 or 300, the only thing a truck like that is passing is an old Volksvagen.
which truck are you talking about??
the big rigs are running around 800HP with up to 2000 ft lbs of torque,,

the standard truck models will be around 300 hp with up to 1000 lbs of torque,,

either of those will beat the pants off any standard ICE truck

it would help if you actually watched it before commenting,,

That's how trains that pull 100s of tons of weight run. Obviously the torque is doable.

I couldn't find the displacement ... but GE put out a locomotive rated at 6,000 hp ... 4.5 megawatts ... size of a small power station ...

Er ... 10's of thousands of tons ... all time record is 100,000 tons for 171 miles ... {Cite}

Forum List

Back