The US could Save $5.6B a year if it Switched from Coal to Solar – study

The US could save $5.6B a year if it switched from coal to solar – study

Feb 7, 2022

Solar makes more financial sense than coal​

The authors of the peer-reviewed study from the University of Surrey in the UK point out that even if no other argument, such as fighting climate change, is accepted for the switch from fossil fuels to renewables, then economics should be reason enough to embrace clean energy....

Ravi Silva, director of the Advanced Technology Institute at the University of Surrey and co-author of the study, said:

Electrek’s Take​

Of course, solar needs to be balanced with other sources of clean energy, such as wind and hydro, and battery storage is an essential part of the mix to regulate supply and demand. But what’s overwhelmingly clear is that coal – and indeed, fossil fuels in general – are not only bad for the environment, they’re also a terrible financial choice. That’s the main thrust of this study..

I would love to see that cost breakdown because it is horseshit.

Especially knowing that just about all commercial solar is heavily subsidized by the filthy ass deranged governments.

The US could save $5.6B a year if it switched from coal to solar – study

Feb 7, 2022

Solar makes more financial sense than coal​

The authors of the peer-reviewed study from the University of Surrey in the UK point out that even if no other argument, such as fighting climate change, is accepted for the switch from fossil fuels to renewables, then economics should be reason enough to embrace clean energy....

Ravi Silva, director of the Advanced Technology Institute at the University of Surrey and co-author of the study, said:

Electrek’s Take​

Of course, solar needs to be balanced with other sources of clean energy, such as wind and hydro, and battery storage is an essential part of the mix to regulate supply and demand. But what’s overwhelmingly clear is that coal – and indeed, fossil fuels in general – are not only bad for the environment, they’re also a terrible financial choice. That’s the main thrust of this study..

I am an Environmental Engineer. I know how to do an economic cost analysis for this kind of stuff.

Show me the inputs used in this silly ass proposal.

I am an Environmental Engineer. I know how to do an economic cost analysis for this kind of stuff.

Show me the inputs used in this silly ass proposal.
Allow me.

e3b3232fc80a81ecfcb7a014de1b520c.jpg

"Efficiency" (as applied to solar) is just concocted silliness to begin with. The input remains clean and free no matter the output. Given one does zero maintenance and the installed cost gets returned over time in the form electrical power, everything gained thereafter translates to infinite "efficiency." Producing less than when new is expected and irrelevant. The notion that solar panels somehow lack efficiency just because we haven't yet figured out how capture 100% of the theoretically available power is ridiculous. It hasn't cost me a dime to keep my solar panels humming along and most were installed free.

Any more dumbfuckery that you wish to spew? Why battery storage?
So that wind and solar can be effective base loads. I don't care what they use as long as they don't require an alternate energy source for generation.

Of course if they did that they wouldn't be able to make their ridiculous claim that they are the cheapest. That's important for tricking the masses but not how good businesses are run.

Last edited:
theHawk said:
Coal is already on its way out. It only makes up 12% of energy production in Arizona. Can solar replace most of it, I think so. But it won’t be able to do more than that. It will never replace nuclear and natural gas, which are already very clean and efficient.
Why is coal on it's way out?

theHawk said:
You still can address the fact that solar can’t produce anything at nighttime.

Solar could make up 100% of all “new” generation for the next decade, and it still won’t come close to nuclear and natural gas.
But wind can and Batteries are the biggest new technology these days, from cars to, yes, storing Solar energy.

`

Why is coal on it's way out?

But wind can and Batteries are the biggest new technology these days, from cars to, yes, storing Solar energy.

`
Why isn't it a requirement that all renewable sources have battery back up?

That's seven posts/Trolls in six threads (in 10 mins) you Obsessively STALKED.
I generally just ignore and use them now when I want to bump up my threads.

You're a ONE LINE TROLL, but again good for looking like my posts are replies instead of blogging.
`

That's seven posts/Trolls in six threads (in 10 mins) you Obsessively STALKED.
I generally just ignore and use them now when I want to bump up my threads.

You're a ONE LINE TROLL, but again good for looking like my posts are replies instead of blogging.
Keeping you honest is a full time job. I usually don't need more than a sentence or two to do it. :)

Really a dumb answer.

Global renewable energy jobs will grow fivefold from 4.4 million today to 22 million by 2050, with more than 85% of those gains in the wind and solar sectors, according to an international team of academics.

Jobs in the fossil-fuel sector will, at the same time, fall from 12.6 million to 3.1 million, with about 80% of the job losses related to oil, gas and coal extraction, the researchers write in a study published in the journal One Earth.

Ten million jobs and two trillion dollars: EY flags world's 'shovel ready' renewables bounty
Read more

Speed energy transition to boost global economy 2.5% on way to 'climate safety': Irena
Read more

Overall, the number of jobs in the energy industry will grow from 18 million today to 26 million in 2050 — with 84% of those in renewables, 11% in fossil fuels and 5% in nuclear — under the report's “well-below 2°C” (WB2C) scenario.

lol....more theory....dud

d3s8zkd-376e9533-37f8-4034-81dd-4908b9600620.jpg

You know what productivity means?
You know what a job in renewable energy means?
I know that when someone answers a question with two questions he's stalling. I have noticed that people who only ever criticize what they don't believe aren't very good at stating what they do believe.

Which you just proved.

How are renewable jobs low productivity? What does that even mean?

I know that when someone answers a question with two questions he's stalling. I have noticed that people who only ever criticize what they don't believe aren't very good at stating what they do believe.

Which you just proved.

How are renewable jobs low productivity? What does that even mean?

Jobs in the renewable energy field aren't very productive.

Do you know what GDP is? I can explain further if you're still confused.

Jobs in the renewable energy field aren't very productive.

Do you know what GDP is? I can explain further if you're still confused.
I know what GDP is. Are you trying to say those jobs don't pay well?

Yes, I was confused by your choice of words.

productive: producing or able to produce large amounts of goods, crops, or other commodities; relating to or engaged in the production of goods, crops, or other commodities; achieving or producing a significant amount or result.

pay: give (someone) money that is due for work done, goods received, or a debt incurred.

salary: a fixed regular payment, typically paid on a monthly or biweekly basis but often expressed as an annual sum, made by an employer to an employee, especially a professional or white-collar worker.

"If you wish to be the king of the jungle, it's not enough to act like a king. You must be the king. There can be no doubt. Because doubt causes chaos and one's own demise." Mickey Pearson

Forum List

Back