CDZ The WILL of the people, or the BEST INTERESTS of the people?

Should an elected representative legislate according to what they perceive to be the will of their constituents

No, I don't believe any elected representative should legislate according to their own biased, perceived one-issue will. No. Just, no.

or according to what they perceive to be the best interests of their constituents?

That would be my choice, since it is at least an indication of empathy. These elected officials take an oath to that empathy. They rarely uphold that oath these days.
Yeah, and to me that goes back to the system under which these people operate. These people don't need to lead or demonstrate original thinking or empathy. They just need to do what a few of their most influential constituents tell them to do. They're little more than freaking ORDER TAKERS.

As long as We The People keep our electoral process status quo, these people will continue to behave the way they do. So this is on us. It's like maintaining a system where stores and restaurants aren't allowed to lock anything up, including the front doors. What do we think is going to happen?

You see elements of it at even the local level, of course, but it really gets amplified as you move up the ladder.

Last edited:
The will of the people is so strong that we'd never allow anyone to do anything in our best interests.

The will of the people is so strong that we'd never allow anyone to do anything in our best interests.
Which is exactly as it should be. People don't need some idiot dictator deciding what is in their "best interest". Each person must decide for himself. As a Country we don't need leaders; we need representatives. Of the People. For the People. By the people.

Which is exactly as it should be. People don't need some idiot dictator deciding what is in their "best interest". Each person must decide for himself. As a Country we don't need leaders; we need representatives. Of the People. For the People. By the people.
I personally don't think that we need representatives. What good are they?

I personally don't think that we need representatives. What good are they?
Not much if they don't actually represent. What good are leaders that lead any way they want? I believe they call that tyranny.

Forum List

Back