The world leaping ahead of us, the U.S. still has no fast trains.

Americans don’t think ahead or care beyond short-term satisfaction
Says the guy (identity cautiously assumed) who would vote against a known good economy just to see Trump lose.

Irony at its best
I’m not voting against an economy, I’m voting against what I consider evil and dangerous

What is truly sad is you know so little about the technology's involved that you actually think that trains are better for moving people than aircraft. Here's a hint...if they were, EVERYBODY would be doing it. Trains have enormous environmental costs, and the cost to build and maintain the infrastructure, especially on a high speed train is tremendous. Efficiency wins the day. When high speed trains become as efficient as air travel, then people will use them. But not until that happens.
Airlines Are Suspending Flights Because Fuel Is Too Expensive | OilPrice.com

August of 2018. Got anything more current? oh, btw she seems to be a biofuel propagandist. Care to guess how much more expensive biofuels are than fossil fuels?

Traffic jams cost US $87 billion in lost productivity in 2018; Boston and DC have the worst

Out in the southern midwest, I can drive 440 miles in 5 hours in almost any direction anytime of any day of the week. This 440 mile stretch below will average drivers 10 to 12 hours in good weather.
data=4OBuAvhLp8c82ASN6friKZlZcAJuPPmzd7E0VvMS2Zm5f5_vtpx49tJnjeO4noe4s-wWr0KtqwoPoASuwmqCEJkPtAYrGoS_Kf2vhnaXHu4Xdy5WikdsCPQ3cfkH-pxb1OYyITKQX3aBNuN4AKPE1B7Hxaa9RDA_y_O4DBjGCb_tOMbz9v-Z70ZPIuCwRk0t4rx-UwNCO5CclluXg5T2sQq7Ww,ZdlxIOo5PIDQijj7uugo8_c2vE-ZH1Np9l65h72AAS8yTiUUr8RWVTH9DSl_pcMtqta5LGWQs68iBbxxiF8a5VZ1KENicrUQ86QK_rdYtRUxX04qSqGkp-liMOuQ7isKoeJnsXCRqbWPEi-r3TTyDfpHvKy0kpd9K18QpN_iHXt4noluINXPQL0ASURs_sXDOR4NYdIcNDEecvcbAtCDeJC3Ao6BERZ7Sj3oqB6ZYBzDyBdhRTkFoUWofjYKNvcavDU5RTFVaR4ozpBb31kV1JRusiACpzPzU2v59QvsjBQIinxIuwrDTko3JerMp3QlJt6TRv8JF86c01pAz36IAZa4uoA6Yj7KsshhCZUMD3pFyyB3S1UJsj-jE2uSxrlJA1Yk3_VHb6k

Try teleworking instead. That would do more to reduce traffic, reduce pollution, and increase the quality of life for employees than ANY other factor.

You should look it up.

I really hate flying

and I will never get on a train going 200 miles and hour

If I can't drive there then then the mountain will have to come to Mohammad.

still in the large cities where traffic is horrible, a train can be useful

There are no trains in the US that travel at 200 mph. I doubt that there are any that travel that speed in the world. There are some that travel 200 kph which is about 154 mph.

A train in a city is light rail and can make sense. We've had elevated rails (the "L") in cities for many, many decades.
yeah in the US

But the fastest model train in the world is reported to go 268 mph and is in China
There are 5 others models that are clocking over 200

still not close to a plane

Still whenever I was on a train, i had to get a window seat just to take in the scenery

At over 200 mph , damn your going to miss it all or get whiplash

China has the world’s fastest and largest high-speed rail network — more than 19,000 miles, the vast majority of which was built in the past decade. Japan’s bullet trains can reach nearly 200 miles per hour and date to the 1960s. They have moved more than 9 billion people without a single passenger causality. France began service of the high-speed TGV train in 1981 and the rest of Europe quickly followed.

But the U.S. has no true high-speed trains, aside from sections of Amtrak’s Acela line in the Northeast Corridor. The Acela can reach 150 mph for only 34 miles of its 457-mile span. Its average speed between New York and Boston is about 65 mph. California’s high-speed rail system is under construction, but whether it will ever get completed as intended is uncertain.

Sadly, the US is falling light years behind China.

Sure China can create these HS bullet trains. Because if anyone there tried the Corrupt bull shit that they do in California from sub- contractors all the way to state politicians that makes building a train impossible, as we have just witnessed by their complete ineptness here where I live.... they would be imprisoned or executed by the government. Damn right they are going to make their trains run on time.

Only liberals care about fast trains. If they're built, no one will ride on them and they will lose billions of dollars.

Let's take a look at a possible high speed rail versus short haul air and driving. We'll us where I am to Denver. And trust me, a high speed rail would be a damned site cheaper to build where you are at instead of here. But let's do it anyway.

You fly from Grand Junction to Denver. By the time you mess around with the terminal, boarding, taxiing, flight, landing, deboarding and the terminal, you just blew 3 1/2 hours.

Now, let's drive that 240 miles. It's going to take about 4 1/2 hours total. Flying, you saved 1 hour.

Now, let's do a high speed train. That high speed train is going to do it in 1/2 the driving time so it's going to take 2 1/4 hour. And that is just doubling the speed of the car. Real high speed rail will at least triple it or quadruple it. Meaning, real his speed rail will take about an hour and a half. And when include taking at least 4 stops of 15 minutes each in the larger towns, that means you still get there in less time than flying.

Of course, due to the Rocky Mountains, the High Speed rail is not viable. But from NYC to Washington DC, a high speed train can make that trip in half the time than you driving and about 3/4 the time that it takes to fly. And the HS Rail can do it much less costly than the Air Travel.

The reason places like Japan, Europe and China have done this is that they Nationalized it and just did it. They treat it like we did going to the Moon, the B-29, and the Manhattan program. A Corporation or a State alone can't initially afford it. Just remember, the Interstate System was Nationalized just like the German Autobahn. If it can get you there quicker, even the Rich will use it if they are smart. When the HS Rail does it much faster than the Lear Jet then the Rich didn't get or stay rich by making stupid decisions.

HS Rail is not going to replace long distance air travel but it can completely replace short hauls from city to city in the east and west coast. Okay, it's not doable between places like Kansas City and Denver since it wouldn't have the traffic. Or from NYC to LA which would have the traffic but at some point, the faster air travel makes up for it's built in delays. And the Aircraft is the most economical way for that distance.

Can HS Rail be done? Sure it can. Does anyone else care if you will ride it or not? I know I don't find it too alarming.

China has the world’s fastest and largest high-speed rail network — more than 19,000 miles, the vast majority of which was built in the past decade. Japan’s bullet trains can reach nearly 200 miles per hour and date to the 1960s. They have moved more than 9 billion people without a single passenger causality. France began service of the high-speed TGV train in 1981 and the rest of Europe quickly followed.

But the U.S. has no true high-speed trains, aside from sections of Amtrak’s Acela line in the Northeast Corridor. The Acela can reach 150 mph for only 34 miles of its 457-mile span. Its average speed between New York and Boston is about 65 mph. California’s high-speed rail system is under construction, but whether it will ever get completed as intended is uncertain.

China is rolling in US cash due to focusing on commerce. The US is ridiculously deep in debt due to focusing on empire and warfare.

That’s because we have superior freeways and Americans like being independent and free to drive their own cars. Not to mention trains never take you to and from you beginning and end destination, you always need a second mode of transportation just to get to the train.

Europe has a so called good high speed train system, yet it still sucks and is insanely expensive. Personally I’ve used the train a few times and in some specific cases is good to use, but usually it’s far faster and cheaper to just drive or fly to your destination.

The train from Rome to Paris....disgusting!!!

Greg

That’s because we have superior freeways and Americans like being independent and free to drive their own cars. Not to mention trains never take you to and from you beginning and end destination, you always need a second mode of transportation just to get to the train.

Europe has a so called good high speed train system, yet it still sucks and is insanely expensive. Personally I’ve used the train a few times and in some specific cases is good to use, but usually it’s far faster and cheaper to just drive or fly to your destination.

The train from Rome to Paris....disgusting!!!

Greg

The problem with that is is the same problem we would have around here. The Alps get in the way. And trying to put a hispeed rail through a mountain chain is not only cost prohibitive but during the winter months, there are going to be days it's going to have to slow way down or not run at all.

On Friday, I'm flying from Las Vegas to Reno and back in one day. Couldn't do that on a train, even a fast train.

So, what you're asking people to do is slow down when you ask them to ride a fast train.

Is it really that far from Las Vegas to Reno? :eek:

Americans don’t think ahead or care beyond short-term satisfaction
Says the guy (identity cautiously assumed) who would vote against a known good economy just to see Trump lose.

Irony at its best
I’m not voting against an economy, I’m voting against what I consider evil and dangerous

What is truly sad is you know so little about the technology's involved that you actually think that trains are better for moving people than aircraft. Here's a hint...if they were, EVERYBODY would be doing it. Trains have enormous environmental costs, and the cost to build and maintain the infrastructure, especially on a high speed train is tremendous. Efficiency wins the day. When high speed trains become as efficient as air travel, then people will use them. But not until that happens.
Airlines Are Suspending Flights Because Fuel Is Too Expensive | OilPrice.com

airlines scrambling to work out higher fuel costs
shocker thats never happened before ........like the 15 other times it has

And by the time the government lays down the first track thats already over budget oil prices will probably have dropped
heres why the Saudis have lost contol of the market
When prices hit 80 and 100 and keep going a barrel americans cant resit the money ....more wells come on line
you'll get a glut .....AGAIN
i wouldnt worry about it to much
EIA_shale_map.png

us-offshore-technically-recoverable-resources-1320x764.png

the country doesn't tap as much as it could Not by a long shot.
some annalist say we could up production 3 million more barrels a day pretty quickly
the Russians and Saudis would be eatin dust or jet exhaust

chooo chooo

On Friday, I'm flying from Las Vegas to Reno and back in one day. Couldn't do that on a train, even a fast train.

So, what you're asking people to do is slow down when you ask them to ride a fast train.

To us Westerners, it's not that far. To an Easterner it's light years. But the point is, the traffic from Reno to LV isn't high enough to pay for a HS Train. HS Trains make sense in high capacity corridors only. I think a little common sense needs to be used here.

To us Westerners, it's not that far. To an Easterner it's light years. But the point is, the traffic from Reno to LV isn't high enough to pay for a HS Train. HS Trains make sense in high capacity corridors only. I think a little common sense needs to be used here.

Isn't it an hour drive? Wtf?!

I've driven from Palm Springs to Las Vegas and back. Not even paved roads and shit, once you get out of California.

Yes, it's a seven hour drive. Even with a fast train it would take maybe four hours, and then four hours back, for a total of eight hours round-trip. On a plane I can do the entire round-trip in two hours. So fast trains make no sense.

And then if you're on a fast train, you don't have a car when you arrive.

The whole point of fast trains is that liberals want people to stop driving cars, but they forget that once you get to your destination, you need a car.

Traffic jams cost US $87 billion in lost productivity in 2018; Boston and DC have the worst

Out in the southern midwest, I can drive 440 miles in 5 hours in almost any direction anytime of any day of the week. This 440 mile stretch below will average drivers 10 to 12 hours in good weather.
data=4OBuAvhLp8c82ASN6friKZlZcAJuPPmzd7E0VvMS2Zm5f5_vtpx49tJnjeO4noe4s-wWr0KtqwoPoASuwmqCEJkPtAYrGoS_Kf2vhnaXHu4Xdy5WikdsCPQ3cfkH-pxb1OYyITKQX3aBNuN4AKPE1B7Hxaa9RDA_y_O4DBjGCb_tOMbz9v-Z70ZPIuCwRk0t4rx-UwNCO5CclluXg5T2sQq7Ww,ZdlxIOo5PIDQijj7uugo8_c2vE-ZH1Np9l65h72AAS8yTiUUr8RWVTH9DSl_pcMtqta5LGWQs68iBbxxiF8a5VZ1KENicrUQ86QK_rdYtRUxX04qSqGkp-liMOuQ7isKoeJnsXCRqbWPEi-r3TTyDfpHvKy0kpd9K18QpN_iHXt4noluINXPQL0ASURs_sXDOR4NYdIcNDEecvcbAtCDeJC3Ao6BERZ7Sj3oqB6ZYBzDyBdhRTkFoUWofjYKNvcavDU5RTFVaR4ozpBb31kV1JRusiACpzPzU2v59QvsjBQIinxIuwrDTko3JerMp3QlJt6TRv8JF86c01pAz36IAZa4uoA6Yj7KsshhCZUMD3pFyyB3S1UJsj-jE2uSxrlJA1Yk3_VHb6k

You can drive 440 miles in 5 hours in almost any direction? I'd like to see that. An average of 88 miles per hour for five hours will get you more than one speeding ticket and probably an arrest after the first two or three.

The corridor you highlight in your map is the route of the Acela Express. The only profitable high-speed rail line in the United States. A corridor with over 44 million people.

The GOP half of America thinks college is bad for the country.
How do you educate these people when they believe that education is bad?

Forum List

Back