There must be a better way to euthanize dogs rather than gassing them all

Vets and assistants have to make rounds daily to check on the health of dogs at the pound. Then why can't a vet spend a few more minutes a day to humanely give a dog a shot, instead of gassing him?

Not only we but our politicians need to make a change.

what makes you think they gas them?

They don't so why has gassing them became the myth.

They put them in the death chambers without regard as to size or level of aggression and pump the air out. The dogs die horribly of asphyxiation. They don't spend money on actual gas when just removing the air is free.

Save a life, adopt a shelter dog, or support no kill shelters.

Vets and assistants have to make rounds daily to check on the health of dogs at the pound. Then why can't a vet spend a few more minutes a day to humanely give a dog a shot, instead of gassing him?

AFAIK, carbon dioxide poisoning (I believe that was the gas mentioned) is not painful at all. It is actually rather euphoric though the effect that it has in humans is not guaranteed to be the same as animals. People use this to kill themselves though in suicides when they don’t have the guts to do it in any of the other ways. I would suspect that the shelters are going to do whatever is cheaper (as they should) and that is going to vary based on volume. High volume would lead ot gassing as being economical vs. low volume going to a shot (where a gas ‘chamber’ would be prohibitively expensive).

I am somewhat confused as the anger displayed here. We do horrendous things to humans every damn day that make this look like a cake walk. We are talking about dropping bombs on another nation at this very moment which will cause many to die horrible and unspeakable deaths. Quite frankly, I don’t care about the dogs and cats that are killed like this. As long as we are being reasonable (not making this process more painful than it has to be unnecessarily) than it is what it is. We have too many animals and that simply means some are going to NEED to be put down. There is no way around that. We have to much barbarism between humans at this time for me to shift much attention to animals that require euthanasia.

AFAIK, carbon dioxide poisoning (I believe that was the gas mentioned) is not painful at all. It is actually rather euphoric though the effect that it has in humans is not guaranteed to be the same as animals. People use this to kill themselves though in suicides when they don’t have the guts to do it in any of the other ways. I would suspect that the shelters are going to do whatever is cheaper (as they should) and that is going to vary based on volume. High volume would lead ot gassing as being economical vs. low volume going to a shot (where a gas ‘chamber’ would be prohibitively expensive).

I am somewhat confused as the anger displayed here. We do horrendous things to humans every damn day that make this look like a cake walk. We are talking about dropping bombs on another nation at this very moment which will cause many to die horrible and unspeakable deaths. Quite frankly, I don’t care about the dogs and cats that are killed like this. As long as we are being reasonable (not making this process more painful than it has to be unnecessarily) than it is what it is. We have too many animals and that simply means some are going to NEED to be put down. There is no way around that. We have to much barbarism between humans at this time for me to shift much attention to animals that require euthanasia.

My dog has an irritable personality. She's 4 now and was born with a deformity of a badly crooked front leg so I'm always explaining why I can't take a chance with every other dog. My wife does it differently and still let's her get close. Because of that, I have done a lot of research or observation in order to keep her out of trouble or biting. Otherwise, Muffin is normal, which means whatever dogs view as an attack is to them a violent death, causing them to die accordingly.

Why did I open this thread it makes me sad and mad that not all animals have homes and makes me more mad that owners do not spade or neuter their animals so they have less animals to put down..

Gas is pretty humane. If you are old enough you must have had to put a pet down at some time. It's a tough thing to do. I wonder how the technicians involved in partial birth abortion cope with the trauma.

Forum List

Back