They're Messing With the Internet Again!

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
White House asks Congress to “update consumer electronic privacy laws.”

Does that worry you? It sure raises red flags for me. Perhaps it's benign but, when it comes to government putting its fingers into the Internet. Alarms signals go off all over the place to me.

Written more than 25 years ago, the ECPA has three parts — the Wiretap Act, the Pen-Register Act and the Stored Communications Act.

It establishes rules for when government and law enforcement officials can place a "tap" on an individual's phones, track where communications are coming from and going, and when law enforcement needs to obtain a warrant for access electronic communications such as emails stored on remote servers.

Read more @ White House asks Congress to update consumer electronic privacy laws | Al Jazeera America

The Obama administration released a report on Thursday asking Congress to pass a set of privacy laws aimed at adding more protections for Americans’ personal data and emails under the Electronic Communications Privacy Act (ECPA).

It's actually a move to add protections, not take away.

Just from what I'm getting from this article, however, I doubt it will have much, if any, effect. I think it's more about providing the President cover for this:

Obama has been under fire since former National Security Agency contractor Edward Snowden revealed that the United States has routinely collected data from unsuspecting people worldwide.

If you want to find something Internet-related to worry about, home in on the impending loss of Net Neutrality thanks to Obama's FCC Chairman, Tom Wheeler

The Obama administration released a report on Thursday asking Congress to pass a set of privacy laws aimed at adding more protections for Americans’ personal data and emails under the Electronic Communications Privacy Act (ECPA).

It's actually a move to add protections, not take away.

Just from what I'm getting from this article, however, I doubt it will have much, if any, effect. I think it's more about providing the President cover for this:

Obama has been under fire since former National Security Agency contractor Edward Snowden revealed that the United States has routinely collected data from unsuspecting people worldwide.

If you want to find something Internet-related to worry about, home in on the impending loss of Net Neutrality thanks to Obama's FCC Chairman, Tom Wheeler

Really?? I think it is more about the neutering of a nation.

Forum List

Back