Thinking about getting an ATI 410

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
I've run into an issue with the new Game Warden.

You can only hunt public land here with a shotgun, which has never been a issue for me until now.

Because my 410s are capable of firing a bullets and not just shotgun shells, the new Game Warden says they aren't legal on public land. The OLD Game Warden's prerogative was, if you weren't carrying any solid ammunition, you were GTG.

But... I'd rather buy a single shot for a C-note than ruffle feathers.

So I'm looking at this ATI improved modified fixed choke 410 from Buds for $97 bucks plus a $20 ffl transfer fee.

I looked locally and the "best" I could find was a used H&R single shot that was worth about the asking price for the ATI but was priced at $300.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Sorry... Here's the link...

1000002658.png

Last edited:
I've run into an issue with the new Game Warden.
You can only hunt public land here with a shotgun, which has never been a issue for me until now.
Because my 410s are capable of firing a bullets and not just shotgun shells, the new Game Warden says they aren't legal on public land.
That is a crock. I can load slug into any shotgun. What COUNTS is what you are found CARRYING while actually out there.

The OLD Game Warden's prerogative was, if you weren't carrying any solid ammunition, you were GTG.
That is right.

But... I'd rather buy a single shot for a C-note than ruffle feathers.
So I'm looking at this ATI improved modified fixed choke 410 from Buds for $97 bucks plus a $20 ffl transfer fee.
Once again government bureaucracy hits its mark making you spend $117 to placate politicians for absolutely no consequence. In the end, it actually changes NOTHING with what you hunt or do but makes you jump through a hoop for a useless bureaucracy.

I squirrel hunt with a .22....Can you use a .22 on public land? Around here a .22 is fine in shotgun only counties.
Missouri has different regulations and requirements for each public area published in the hunting regs.

1000002660.png

1000002661.png

If not, I guess any decent .410 will do. I'd go with the H&R myself.

Hard to pay $300 for a gun that cost half that brand new.

Missouri has different regulations and requirements for each public area published in the hunting regs.

View attachment 1007547
View attachment 1007548

Hard to pay $300 for a gun that cost half that brand new.

Buy once cry once.

I bought an old 1920s era Stevens .410 last week, fixed it up some (just cosmetic), and consigned it for $350.....I'll get it by and by too. They don't make them like they used to.

Top gun in the pic.

DSCN4899.JPG

View attachment 1007547

Different regulations for each public area? That is insane. Why not one set of uniform regulations for the entire state? Also, by their own words, it isn't the firearm that matters but the PROJECTILE being used by it, not what can theoretically be shoved into it. Sounds like these people really just don't want you hunting with a gun.

That sounds like getting pulled over and being given a speeding ticket for going 54 mph in a 55 mph zone because theoretically, your car /could/ be capable of going 90 mph even though it wasn't.

Forum List

Back