This Burger Joint Is Raising Its Starting Salary To $15 Per Hour

Why should any one of us give a hoot that some burger joint pays so much for low-level unskilled labor?

I mean, good for the workers. I hope that level of pay continues for them.

But what the fuck does that have to do with anything else?

ANY company can pay whatever the fuck it chooses to its employees (provided at least the minimum wage gets paid).

And if their burgers are good, heck: we might even choose to become customers at such joints.

But if the cost of the food is high enough (and assuming the quality is just so so or even only slightly above average), then lots of custoers will go elsewhere.

We don't go to Burger King or McDonalds as a show of "solidarity" with workers there. We go (if we have no concern for taste buds or good nutrition, that is) because we like (or tolerate) the food and are concerned with the cost of the meals.

Moo Cluck Moo, the Detroit-area fast food eatery that already gained acclaim for paying its workers $12 per hour, will raise its starting wage to $15 per hour beginning October 1, the Daily Beast reports. The move comes just a few weeks after fast food workers took to the streets demanding chains like McDonald’s, Burger King and KFC pay them $15 per hour. Many say they’re making slightly more than the federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour.

Critics claim the workers’ demands would put many franchisees, which operate on thin profit margins and run most fast food restaurants, out of business. But Brian Parker, one of the owners of Moo Cluck Moo begs to differ. Parker told HuffPostLive in July that he believes investing in his workers actually benefits his business because the staffers provide better customer service than their colleagues who are working for much less.

“We feel we have a good idea [and] we feel consumers will gravitate towards that good idea and support us,” he told HuffPostLive.

Moo Cluck Moo isn’t the only fast food eatery to take the high road though. John Pepper, the CEO of burrito chain Boloco, pays his workers a starting wage of $9 per hour. Still, he wrote “we can and must do more,”

I'm all for increasing the minimum wage substantially, but $15 seems a bit too high. While raising the minimum wage would be beneficial, there is a point when it could be taken too far. It's possible to raise the minimum by $2 or $3 per hour and only have to raise prices a little. Trying to double the minimum wage would force much higher prices. Secondly, without making the minimum wage staggered where teenagers start out at a lower level, it would definitely hurt young kids looking for work.

Australia has a pretty good minimum wage plan. It pays almost $16 per hour, but teenagers start out at just over $6 per hour for those under the age of 16. After that, the wage increases by age every year until they hit 20 years at which point, they are eligible for the full $16. The good thing is that this debate is finally getting the time it deserves and we should see some movement on it in the very near future. The fact is that the majority of Americans do support an increase in the minimum. The question is how much.

He's free to do whatever stupid thing he wants...he must live in a neighborhood that will 15 bucks for a lously hamburger
Their website is here: Moo Cluck Moo

Burgers start at $3.25

man do you people just swallow anything that you read?
Irony.

Yet size of the burger is not mentioned.. if it is the size of a McD's basic burger, it is showing that it does raise prices... Fries are $2.95, much higher than a McD's.. a combo with fries and soda is $7.50

Now.. if they are like a 5 guys, that is a decent price... but I am unsure what 'level' or burger joint they are.. from the 1 pic I saw on the inside of a restaurant, it kinda looks like an elevation burger place.. and in that article it stated their labor costs are about 40%, but did not state if they have less employees and it did not say if the employees had more of a workload or other responsibilities..

Anyway.. if it works for them and they business survives, more power to them... I guess we will see what happens with them, as I am sure the press will keep an eye with this situation

Moo Cluck Moo, the Detroit-area fast food eatery that already gained acclaim for paying its workers $12 per hour, will raise its starting wage to $15 per hour beginning October 1, the Daily Beast reports. The move comes just a few weeks after fast food workers took to the streets demanding chains like McDonald’s, Burger King and KFC pay them $15 per hour. Many say they’re making slightly more than the federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour.

Critics claim the workers’ demands would put many franchisees, which operate on thin profit margins and run most fast food restaurants, out of business. But Brian Parker, one of the owners of Moo Cluck Moo begs to differ. Parker told HuffPostLive in July that he believes investing in his workers actually benefits his business because the staffers provide better customer service than their colleagues who are working for much less.

“We feel we have a good idea [and] we feel consumers will gravitate towards that good idea and support us,” he told HuffPostLive.

Moo Cluck Moo isn’t the only fast food eatery to take the high road though. John Pepper, the CEO of burrito chain Boloco, pays his workers a starting wage of $9 per hour. Still, he wrote “we can and must do more,”

We know where Guano will be from 9-5

Are you sure he is skilled enough to get a job there?

If they can find a way to keep the pay at that level and still attract customers, more power to them.

But if you think that this is somehow justification for forcing others to do likewise through government intervention, you need to rethink your powers of persuasion.

So you'll be submitting an application?

Why should any one of us give a hoot that some burger joint pays so much for low-level unskilled labor?

I mean, good for the workers. I hope that level of pay continues for them.

But what the fuck does that have to do with anything else?

ANY company can pay whatever the fuck it chooses to its employees (provided at least the minimum wage gets paid).

And if their burgers are good, heck: we might even choose to become customers at such joints.

But if the cost of the food is high enough (and assuming the quality is just so so or even only slightly above average), then lots of custoers will go elsewhere.

We don't go to Burger King or McDonalds as a show of "solidarity" with workers there. We go (if we have no concern for taste buds or good nutrition, that is) because we like (or tolerate) the food and are concerned with the cost of the meals.

I agree and as far as I know the only other place that pays Mickymac employees $15 and hour is in the State of North Dakota. A State thats going great guns right now.

If this place is in Detroit I doubt anyone will be able to pay for those burgers since Detroit is bankrupt.

Last edited:
Cool, how much are the burger's?

Comparable to everyone else's. They only have two locations so they don't have to worry about a massive employee base. That being said, good for them. It's nice to see a company making enough that they can afford to pay their workers this good. Here, where I am, the starting pay for ANY fast food joint is around 10.50 an hour.

If you have anything approaching a skill you start around 13 an hour.

Welcome to $25 burgers and overpaid idiots that will call in sick on payday to load up n weed and colt 45 beer.

Dont see this working. Looks like you'd need to sell three burgers an hour minimum to cover just one employees wage. Then you add overhead?
We'll see how long they stay in business.

They have a lower overhead, no drive thru, no tables, no chairs and only 12 employees. open 9 hours a day. It is a walk in walk out place... seems to be reasonable prices as well. Now if he had a higher overhead and more employees it may be harder to keep that up.

Last edited:
McDonalds sells burgers at reasonable prices in France and Australia where minimum wage is higher than here.

In France it's $12.22 and Australia it's $16.88. Those are in US dollars.

List of minimum wages by country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Um, not exactly.

The country allows lower pay for teenagers, and the labor deal McDonald's struck with its employees currently pays 16-year-olds roughly US$8 an hour, not altogether different from what they'd make in the states. In an email, Greg Bamber, a professor at Australia's Monash University who has studied labor relations in the country's fast food industry, told me that as a result, McDonald's relies heavily on young workers in Australia. It's a specific quirk of the country's wage system. But it goes to show that even in generally high-pay countries, restaurants try to save on labor where they can.

The Magical World Where McDonald's Pays $15 an Hour? It's Australia - Jordan Weissmann - The Atlantic

Forum List

Back