This Burger Joint Is Raising Its Starting Salary To $15 Per Hour

It's not at all complicated. Experts have been assessing cost of living for as long as I can remember. Cost of living analysis is not the problem here.
  • Should a minimum wage support a family?
  • How large a family?
  • What happens when the size of the family increases?
  • What if that family has a lot of credit cards it foolishly took on?
  • What if that family has a lot of loans it foolishly took on?
  • What about kids who are still living with Mom & Dad, should they get a living wage too?
  • What about cities and areas with higher costs of living?
  • What if the spouse is working, how do you account for that?
  • What if the spouse begins working after this job starts, how do you account for that?
  • Can you think of any negatives for the business, and if so, do those negatives matter in any way?
It actually IS a little complicated. Maybe you have answers/ideas for the above, I'd be interested to see them.

Last edited:
IMO the thing to do is raise minimum wage so it is a living wage. I don't think unskilled workers should be paid more than minimum wage, but I do think minimum wage should be a living wage: what a single person needs to earn to have a decent life--decent housing, transportation, food, clothing, etc. Beyond that, if someone wants more, they need to learn a trade or skill, something marketable. One very simple way of doing that is doing temp work: many temp jobs lead to full-time work, and the time you spend doing the temp work is on the job training. It's really simple, but most people don't seem to get it. When I was doing general office work as a temp, if you work hard and are a good employee, they keep you on and train you for something better. One time I had a job selling something over the phone for Wards. I am a terrible salesperson and didn't want to stay, but one day, by a miracle, I sold a big item, and when I wanted to quit, the company was begging me to stay on and be a full time employee and sales person. I declined. But, the point is, if you do temp work and are found to be a good employee by the company where you are temping, they will very often want to keep you and train you up to better positions.

Define living wage, define decent housing, transportation, food, clothing.

Everyone throws out buzz words, however, it is board and general terms that seem to be defined individually.

Sent from my iPad using an Android.

It's not at all complicated. Experts have been assessing cost of living for as long as I can remember. Cost of living analysis is not the problem here.

So what is decent housing? And what is a living wage, it should be easy for you to tell me.

Sent from my iPad using an Android.

fail..............somebody lost their job!!! Thats great!!

Bullshit! Their workers got off the government dole, paid their own bills & bought a home. Many jobs are created every time minimum wage is raised. People who believe the way you do destroy the economy & grow government. You hate freedom, worship imperialism & long for the few to rule over the masses.

Cool, how much are the burger's?
Comparable to everyone else's. They only have two locations so they don't have to worry about a massive employee base. That being said, good for them. It's nice to see a company making enough that they can afford to pay their workers this good. Here, where I am, the starting pay for ANY fast food joint is around 10.50 an hour.

If you have anything approaching a skill you start around 13 an hour.
It is good to see them pay people as well as they can. Not only that, but they may have a superb feeling for the spirit of their community who may value good wages so well they will flock to the small chain. You can make more money with heavy foot traffic than none, and the good will of any community is always a plus in business. Your customers will carry you through the rough places if they know you care about their wishes enough. In Detroit, there is a liking for higher wages than the average bear.

I wish them all the best.

Cool, how much are the burger's?
Comparable to everyone else's. They only have two locations so they don't have to worry about a massive employee base. That being said, good for them. It's nice to see a company making enough that they can afford to pay their workers this good. Here, where I am, the starting pay for ANY fast food joint is around 10.50 an hour.

If you have anything approaching a skill you start around 13 an hour.
It is good to see them pay people as well as they can. Not only that, but they may have a superb feeling for the spirit of their community who may value good wages so well they will flock to the small chain. You can make more money with heavy foot traffic than none, and the good will of any community is always a plus in business. Your customers will carry you through the rough places if they know you care about their wishes enough. In Detroit, there is a liking for higher wages than the average bear.

I wish them all the best.

As I mentioned earlier, it's now time for all liberals in the area to put their money where their mouths are, and support this place.

but I do think minimum wage should be a living wage: what a single person needs to earn to have a decent life--decent housing, transportation, food, clothing, etc.
I believe min wage can allow a single person a decent life. I did it in college and as a young adult and sure didn't think of myself as some woeful character in a Charles Dickens novel. You have roommates, you take the bus or drive a piece of shit car, you manage your food budget, entertainment is beer and video games, etc.

but I do think minimum wage should be a living wage: what a single person needs to earn to have a decent life--decent housing, transportation, food, clothing, etc.
I believe min wage can allow a single person a decent life. I did it in college and as a young adult and sure didn't think of myself as some woeful character in a Charles Dickens novel. You have roommates, you take the bus or drive a piece of shit car, you manage your food budget, entertainment is beer and video games, etc.

You are a dependent if you have to mooch off roommates to make it. Far to many people getting minimum wage have a spouse & child to support. That means someone other than the employer is supporting them. That is not an efficient or free market society.

You are a dependent if you have to mooch off roommates to make it.
No you aren't.

Mooching implies not carrying your fair share of the burden, roommates simply agree to split up rent cost for a shared living space. I've had roommates and in no way did it disqualify me from living a decent life.

Far to many people getting minimum wage have a spouse & child to support.
I was addressing a post that said min wage should be able to support a single person living a decent life. I contend that it can.

• How large a family?
  • What about kids who are still living with Mom & Dad, should they get a living wage too?
  • What if the spouse begins working after this job starts, how do you account for that?
  • Can you think of any negatives for the business, and if so, do those negatives matter in any way?
It actually IS a little complicated. Maybe you have answers/ideas for the above, I'd be interested to see them.

A minimum wage should support one person. People need to manage their lives accordingly. If you can't afford to have children, don't. Don't go into debt. Etc. Most of the things you list are superfluous. An individual, whether living with roommates, familiy, etc., should get a wage that covers a decent cost of living for one individual. It is very simple.

• How large a family?

A minimum wage should support one person. People need to manage their lives accordingly. If you can't afford to have children, don't. Don't go into debt. Etc. Most of the things you list are superfluous. An individual, whether living with roommates, familiy, etc., should get a wage that covers a decent cost of living for one individual. It is very simple.

Should it pay your ObamaCare premiums as well?

• How large a family?

It does . The current federal minimum wage is $7.25 per hour. A full-time minimum wage employee earns $15,080 annually. In 2012, the poverty threshold for a single person was $11,945 link

Carry on

For the increase in pay some staff were cut. Those left now making the $15.00 are expected to 'pick up the slack' from having one-two less people per shift. They are also expected to 'stay that extra hour' when ever asked to with NO overtime. If it's less than half an hour the employee can not add that to his time card.
One fucking word of complaint and you're down the down the road looking for a minimum wage replacement job.
The owner now literally 'owns' these employees who are too shit scared to complain.
Ya it's really working out for them.
The cheapest burger is the same size as the 'Junior Burger' at McDonalds.
At some McDonalds it's just called 'a hamburger'.

CaféAuLait;8934376 said:
They have a lower overhead, no drive thru, no tables, no chairs and only 12 employees. open 9 hours a day. It is a walk in walk out place... seems to be reasonable prices as well. Now if he had a higher overhead and more employees it may be harder to keep that up.

So.. they have a business plan that gives them less potential customers (no drive thru), people spending less time in a restaurant which leads to less dollars spent per visit (seated customers order more)... less time selling (leading to less sales) with the same rent/lease/mortgage expense...

Don't sound like a smart restaurant business plan to me

Seating increases costs, rent, re taxes, Maint, utilities etc. drive thru and in and out is where the real profits are.

Oops, responded to wrong post. My bad

Seating increases cost but increases income by even more... it is known that seated customers stay longer and spend more

Having seats does not increase rent.. .floor space increases rent... even our small local deli rearranged to add a simple 2 tables... those 2 tables are always full... those tables bring in about an extra 15K per year each

Wow.. a political speech to gather votes... yep.. that sells it :rolleyes:

Unskilled labor of the lowest level and you should NOT be making enough to support a family, or have a place of your on, or buy a new car, etc.. it should allow you enough to feed yourself, share a place to live with others, etc... more than that, you better gain some skills, market yourself, or work a 2nd or 3rd job...

Yeah. Let's take advise from FDR who averaged 20% unemployment over his first two terms.

Biggest fail ever

Sent from smartphone using my wits and Taptalk
Yes, high unemployment due to the Depression brought on by Hoover, thus the name Hoovervilles, depicting camps of homeless.

Except, like Obamalama, FDR's policies actually made a bad situation worse

Dont see this working. Looks like you'd need to sell three burgers an hour minimum to cover just one employees wage. Then you add overhead?
We'll see how long they stay in business.

You obviously do not understand the restaurant business. Most restaurants look to keep their hourly payroll between 20 to 25 percent of sales. They schedule enough employees for their peak periods and cut them loose once things slow down. Ten employees can easily push out $600 to $750 worth of food per hour. If they are well trained, they should be able to do $1000 per hour during peak periods. Have you ever been to a "Five Guys" during lunch?

Already shown that this place's labor cost is >40%

IMO the thing to do is raise minimum wage so it is a living wage. I don't think unskilled workers should be paid more than minimum wage, but I do think minimum wage should be a living wage: what a single person needs to earn to have a decent life--decent housing, transportation, food, clothing, etc. Beyond that, if someone wants more, they need to learn a trade or skill, something marketable. One very simple way of doing that is doing temp work: many temp jobs lead to full-time work, and the time you spend doing the temp work is on the job training. It's really simple, but most people don't seem to get it. When I was doing general office work as a temp, if you work hard and are a good employee, they keep you on and train you for something better. One time I had a job selling something over the phone for Wards. I am a terrible salesperson and didn't want to stay, but one day, by a miracle, I sold a big item, and when I wanted to quit, the company was begging me to stay on and be a full time employee and sales person. I declined. But, the point is, if you do temp work and are found to be a good employee by the company where you are temping, they will very often want to keep you and train you up to better positions.

As explained SO many times.. changing an arbitrary floor number only changes the numeric value of the poverty line... it does not bring anyone out of poverty... you think the supervisor who was making $9.50 is now going to be content making the same wage as the burger flipper? You think the apprentice electrician fixing the lighting will accept only making $1 more than the burger flipper? You think the manager will accept only making $6 more than the lowest rung will accept that?? The answers are NO... The wage scales of the others with more marketability, more skill, and more value will also increase... the prices of goods and services will increase... it is an upward ripple effect that eventually leads to the same fucking situation.. then you have the lefties screaming for another raise of the minimum wage at another high rate of change

fucking laughable

• How large a family?

1 person with a car and house?? 1 person sharing an apartment and food budget with 4 roommates? 1 person living at home with parents? 1 person with medical issues? 1 person who lives in a high COL area? 1 person living in a low COL area?

The funny thing is.. the poor here in this country still have luxuries that they do not give up for the basics, yet they still scream for politicians to get them more without doing a damn thing more themselves

• How large a family?

1 person with a car and house?? 1 person sharing an apartment and food budget with 4 roommates? 1 person living at home with parents? 1 person with medical issues? 1 person who lives in a high COL area? 1 person living in a low COL area?

The funny thing is.. the poor here in this country still have luxuries that they do not give up for the basics, yet they still scream for politicians to get them more without doing a damn thing more themselves

Before I got my degree, I worked as a receptionist in an office. I was earning above minimum wage because I had secretarial skills. I could afford to rent a one bedroom duplex and own a second hand car. I was comfortable with a basic economy. My medical insurance was supplied by my employer. Before I did that, I was a waitress. I shared either with a partner or a roommate. I was able to have a second hand car, but not such a nice one, or I took the bus. There is nothing shameful in taking mass transit or sharing with a roommate. It is a long way from poverty. If you want more, become more marketable and earn a higher salary. I made a conscious decision not to have children until I could afford to.

Last edited:

Before I got my degree, I worked as a receptionist in an office. I wasn't minimum wage because I had secretarial skills. I could afford to rent a one bedroom duplex and own a second hand car. I was comfortable with a basic economy. My medical insurance was supplied by my employer. Before I did that, I was a waitress. I shared either with a partner or a roommate. I was able to have a second hand car, but not such a nice one, or I took the bus. There is nothing shameful in taking mass transit or sharing with a roommate. It is a long way from poverty.

And minimum wage does indeed allow a person to live in a base situation... funny, my daughter does while living with my ex-wife and with that minimum wage she pays for a cheap car, community college tuition, and some food.... while working part time... and GASP, because she does things to improve herself, she is getting a promotion and a raise to be a trainer

Another kid in the neighborhood.. working at the gas station at the edge of the neighborhood.. is renting a basement room for $250 a month... buying his own food.. paying his own bills like cell phone etc.. all on the current minimum wage...

There is nothing shameful about starting at the bottom.. I did it.. twice... what is shameful is an entire group of people who think they deserve more for doing nothing more... thank God my own daughter is not in that mind set

You are a dependent if you have to mooch off roommates to make it.
No you aren't.

Mooching implies not carrying your fair share of the burden, roommates simply agree to split up rent cost for a shared living space. I've had roommates and in no way did it disqualify me from living a decent life.

Far to many people getting minimum wage have a spouse & child to support.
I was addressing a post that said min wage should be able to support a single person living a decent life. I contend that it can.

At best employment periods only half the population is employed. Workers have to be able to fully support themselves plus one. If that does not happen, living standards decline. 25% of all goods & services produced through all recorded human history were produced in just the past 12 years. Yet living standards for the workers in the USA declined. The exact opposite should have happened.

Forum List

Back