This day in history, the Confederacy's High Water Mark died, and so did the Founder's Intent

bendog

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2013
Ah weep. The National Beast was borne, and liberty died, and the evil civil war amendments were forced onto the States, leading to birthright citizenship, gay marriage and .... dare I say it.... Obama.

Ah weep. The National Beast was borne, and liberty died, and the evil civil war amendments were forced onto the States, leading to birthright citizenship, gay marriage and .... dare I say it.... Obama.
What happened?

What happened?
Final day of Gettysburg. I was a little appalled when I came to the South and learned that its pretty ingrained in white boy children to want to have that day and Picket's Charge to do over again. And it's not totally racism. Although to me it's appalling. I mean they had 100 years to rid themselves of slavery and then have the temerity to feel aggrieved over civil rights laws. I mean hell, if they wanted blacks to have the vote, they had the chance.

But it's sort of the lost ideal of State sovereignty, and being not one giant homogenous superpower

You are correct. Not so strange when you think of the way the amendments were forced on the country. Poison tree.

You are correct. Not so strange when you think of the way the amendments were forced on the country. Poison tree.
I was sorta joking about the amendments. I mean they had to agree to not try the slavery thing again to get back in the club ... and have the bluebellies leave. LOL But yeah it was jammed down their throats.

Hard to compare back then and the original klan to the civil rights bills of of the 1960s though, imo.

What happened?
Final day of Gettysburg. I was a little appalled when I came to the South and learned that its pretty ingrained in white boy children to want to have that day and Picket's Charge to do over again. And it's not totally racism. Although to me it's appalling. I mean they had 100 years to rid themselves of slavery and then have the temerity to feel aggrieved over civil rights laws. I mean hell, if they wanted blacks to have the vote, they had the chance.

But it's sort of the lost ideal of State sovereignty, and being not one giant homogenous superpower

I am not sure why Gettysburg but what you say is true. It's always Gettysburg we wish for a do over of. I never wondered why that particular one before.

I was sorta joking about the amendments. I mean they had to agree to not try the slavery thing again to get back in the club ... and have the bluebellies leave. LOL But yeah it was jammed down their throats.

Hard to compare back then and the original klan to the civil rights bills of of the 1960s though, imo.

Oh no...wrong there. Most southern states approved the 13th amendment with little problem. Some northern states rejected it. And I am speaking of before reconstruction.
But the 14th was never passed. A flawed article written as punishment. Several Northern states accepted disenfranchisement rather than accept it and both New Hampshire and Oregon tried to leave the Union over it. Of course the South didnt have that choice and had its state governments overthrown and military rule instituted as punishment for rejecting it.
And today, as a direct result, we are ruled by an oligarchy of nine DC judges.

The "Founders intent" needs a page on the history forum not the political forum

OT, I wish some TV channel would have on Ted Turner's movie about Gettysburg. With Martin Sheen as Bobby Lee.

I tried to find a decent biography on George Meade but he largely slipped away unnoticed.

OT, I wish some TV channel would have on Ted Turner's movie about Gettysburg. With Martin Sheen as Bobby Lee.

I tried to find a decent biography on George Meade but he largely slipped away unnoticed.

The most memorable and honored battle was Chamberlains fixed bayonet charge down Little Roundtop. To which a statute honoring him was erected in Maine where he was from.

That battle is still taught in the Army's leadership school to this day.

You cannot imagine how appalled I was to find out they weren't integrated when I came here around 1990

You cant imagine how appalled they were when you got there.
Oh, most were most civil. Very few made any excuses for Vicksburg. And those were the uneducated and failures.

It's been a great place to live. I'm a decade from retirement at least, but my little chick has flown the coop. Many settle in Atl and Nashville, but she's gone farther. I admit she didn't go to public schools, but I didn't come here to make any political statements. Since Katrina and now since the advent of the NewWhiteAggrievedParty it's a less gracious place.

There's not much difference between Ole Miss and Iowa now. LOL

The most memorable and honored battle was Chamberlains fixed bayonet charge down Little Roundtop. To which a statute honoring him was erected in Maine where he was from.

They ran out of ammunition, didn't they. Great book by Shaara.

Oh no...wrong there. Most southern states approved the 13th amendment with little problem. Some northern states rejected it. And I am speaking of before reconstruction.
But the 14th was never passed. A flawed article written as punishment. Several Northern states accepted disenfranchisement rather than accept it and both New Hampshire and Oregon tried to leave the Union over it. Of course the South didnt have that choice and had its state governments overthrown and military rule instituted as punishment for rejecting it.
And today, as a direct result, we are ruled by an oligarchy of nine DC judges.

All persons born or naturalized in the United States and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

That part being the most egregious to it's detractors.

They ran out of ammunition, didn't they. Great book by Shaara.

Yes. Chamberlain new the only chance he had, and it was a desperate one, to use his advantage of being on higher ground, and knowing the Confederates would have to reload after their first volley, overwhelm them with men running and screaming down hill and stabbing them before they could get off second shots.

Forum List

Back