This Is a Real Reason Why Middle-Class Incomes Remain Stagnant

The city of Seattle raised the minimum wage to $15 an hour and unemployment went down.
King County’s jobless rate dips to 3.3 percent; lowest in 7 years

From your article:

"That seasonal cycle explains a large part of the dip in unemployment last month.

The highest unemployment rates, not seasonally adjusted, usually occur in January and February because of holiday-hiring layoffs, said Anneliese Vance-Sherman, a regional economist with the Employment Security Department."

Agreed. Years ago many of us had two or more jobs. Hell, I didn't have any kids and I had three jobs at one time just to support myself. If my full-time job didn't have me working on Saturday, I would make sure I had weekend work somewhere.

It was a different mindset back then though. If you needed more money, you just had to work more hours, that's it, not complain to your politicians that your employer was greedy.

I don't know any younger person today that has two jobs. If your job doesn't pay enough, don't learn a skill, don't keep trying to get into a company that pays well, just contact government and they will fill in the gaps.
These social programs took all the motivation out of people. Years ago the mood of the country was for everybody to get ahead. Today, the mindset is do enough just to get by.

Why didn't you take a job that paid all of your expenses?

Eventually I did, but I lived through the Reagan recession which was much worse than Obama's. I became unemployed at the beginning of that recession and took any job that paid, even if I was making less than minimum wage which was somewhere around $3.50 an hour at the time.

Once Reagan got the economy going again, I didn't want to live paycheck to paycheck. I took other jobs just for extra money.
The Booosh corrupt world depression was much worse than anything since the corrupt Pub Great Depression. Ay caramba.

Businesses don't open up or stay open to "invest in our country." Businesses don't open up because they have a social obligation to people. Businesses don't open up so they can create jobs for Americans.

Businesses open up and stay open for one reason only--to make a profit. That's it in a nutshell.

Why can't a business do all of that?

And how often do you "do the right thing?"

When you go grocery shopping, do you go to the most expensive store or the store with lower prices? If you have a lawn care company, did you hire the most expensive one, or did you find somebody that mows your lawn at a reasonable price? When you need your car repaired, do you choose the garage that will repair it for $850.00, or do you choose the garage that will do the exact same work for $650.00?

So if you won't overpay people to do work for you, why do you think companies should?

I do the right thing everyday. I pay my employees what they deserve, twice or more of what my competitors pay. I can do this by using good debt, which any good business person can do.

I think you are a liar. Nobody can pay their employees twice as much as their competitors and stay in business. That's why many of our jobs are now overseas.

Businesses don't open up or stay open to "invest in our country." Businesses don't open up because they have a social obligation to people. Businesses don't open up so they can create jobs for Americans.

Businesses open up and stay open for one reason only--to make a profit. That's it in a nutshell.

Why can't a business do all of that?

Because businesses heavily rely on investors. Investors are attracted to the growth rate of a company. If a company is overpaying their employees and creating jobs just for the hell of it, they have a terrible growth rate and no investors. Eventually they go out of business.

Reagan was the King of Supply Side Economics

Reduce taxes and regulation on the wealthy and it will trickle down in wages and jobs for working Americans

Who would have figured the wealthy would just keep the extra money?

What are you talking about? Reagan had tax increases just as he had tax reductions. But the President isn't in charge of taxes anyway--the Congress is which happened to be Democrat at the time.

We had some great economic years under Reagan just like we did under Clinton and even GW. If you are going to try and blame a guy that's been dead for 12 years for what's going on today, at least give him credit as well.

The Reagan revolution was built on government spending in Defense. Tripling the deficit covers up a lot economically. Stupid Carter ran on a balanced budget and got killed for the economy

Cutting taxes on the wealthy has been a disaster....time we return to a reasonable tax structure

The top 10% of wage earners in this country pay about 70% of all collected federal income taxes. If 70% is not enough, then tell me what percentage is.

It is called an income tax
Your claim only affirms that a small percentage is claiming most the income....Something we already know

Yes, it is income taxes, the taxes that fund just about every goodie in our federal government.

Income is not claimed, income is created.

Very true...it is created by the workers who receive an ever decreasing slice of the pie

This is the Reagan phone. To your point, this is what should be issued.

Welcome to 2015, dinosaur!

images

A low minimum wage that has failed to keep up with inflation or worker productivity creates a taxpayer subsidy to low-wage employers.
Raising the minimum wage would reduce the cost of social welfare programs, foster economic growth, and strengthen families - all virtues extolled by conservatives.

A low minimum wage that has failed to keep up with inflation or worker productivity creates a taxpayer subsidy to low-wage employers.
Raising the minimum wage would reduce the cost of social welfare programs, foster economic growth, and strengthen families - all virtues extolled by conservatives.

Minimum wage didn't create taxpayer subsidies, politicians did.

What are you talking about? Reagan had tax increases just as he had tax reductions. But the President isn't in charge of taxes anyway--the Congress is which happened to be Democrat at the time.

We had some great economic years under Reagan just like we did under Clinton and even GW. If you are going to try and blame a guy that's been dead for 12 years for what's going on today, at least give him credit as well.

The Reagan revolution was built on government spending in Defense. Tripling the deficit covers up a lot economically. Stupid Carter ran on a balanced budget and got killed for the economy

Cutting taxes on the wealthy has been a disaster....time we return to a reasonable tax structure

The top 10% of wage earners in this country pay about 70% of all collected federal income taxes. If 70% is not enough, then tell me what percentage is.

Your claim only affirms that a small percentage is claiming most the income....Something we already know

Yes, it is income taxes, the taxes that fund just about every goodie in our federal government.

Very true...it is created by the workers who receive an ever decreasing slice of the pie

Then the workers need to get a larger slice of the pie by making themselves more valuable to employers. The more valuable you are to an employer, the more money you are worth to him.

No, it's not. It has the seventh largest economy in the world by GDP, but that has no relevancy now does it.

Want to try again?

Ever been to Brazil? No?, I have.

Brazil is a developing country. Brazil continues to be poor on measures of educational achievement, income, health, and safety. Which makes it third world.

Gallup recently found that 76% of Americans favor raising the minimum wage, while only 22% oppose it.
Yet Republicans continue to block a rise in the minimum wage.
Why?
Because Republicans only represent the 1%

If the 1% you refer to are the people with functional brains. Then yes I'd hope so.

The minimum wage increase to $15 is one of the stupidest ideas I've seen in a very long time. I'll give you a good example of why this is so stupid.

Let's go with McDonalds. Posted roughly a 20% profit margin, which btw is exceptional for fast food. According to what I've seen labor is about 25% of cost of sales for them.

How are you going to double the labor cost, and what's going to be it's impact on the business model?

1 - Will they cut staff?
2 - Will they raise prices?
3 - Will there be a combination of both?

Note that these are the only 3 alternatives. The most likely answer will be option 3. They will go with more automation which will cut jobs and offset some of the need to increase prices and maintain a good profit margin.

Now this doesn't sound as bad does it? Of course this won't be the only company who does this, and where are those now unemployable workers going to go? Why onto the federal dole, which btw will have to increase what it pays out due to the increased costs on well....pretty much everything.

Now here's where the real fun starts. Let's go with the guy making $15 an hour before the min wage increase. Congratulations...he's now making minimum wage. Think his employer is going to increase his pay....just cause? He might for his more important personnel, but he won't for everyone in most cases. Said employee will see his buying power plummet, and guess who else might need some federal assistance?

Guess he'll have to go buy less fast food...and other things he normally does. At this point I'd suggest you familiarize yourself with something called the Misery Index.

Gallup recently found that 76% of Americans favor raising the minimum wage, while only 22% oppose it.
Why?

If the 1% you refer to are the people with functional brains. Then yes I'd hope so.

The minimum wage increase to $15 is one of the stupidest ideas I've seen in a very long time. I'll give you a good example of why this is so stupid.

Let's go with McDonalds. Posted roughly a 20% profit margin, which btw is exceptional for fast food. According to what I've seen labor is about 25% of cost of sales for them.

How are you going to double the labor cost, and what's going to be it's impact on the business model?

1 - Will they cut staff?

Note that these are the only 3 alternatives. The most likely answer will be option 3. They will go with more automation which will cut jobs and offset some of the need to increase prices and maintain a good profit margin.

Now this doesn't sound as bad does it? Of course this won't be the only company who does this, and where are those now unemployable workers going to go? Why onto the federal dole, which btw will have to increase what it pays out due to the increased costs on well....pretty much everything.

Now here's where the real fun starts. Let's go with the guy making $15 an hour before the min wage increase. Congratulations...he's now making minimum wage. Think his employer is going to increase his pay....just cause? He might for his more important personnel, but he won't for everyone in most cases. Said employee will see his buying power plummet, and guess who else might need some federal assistance?

Guess he'll have to go buy less fast food...and other things he normally does. At this point I'd suggest you familiarize yourself with something called the Misery Index.

McDonald's orders 7,000 touchscreen kiosks to replace cashiers

Workers are getting screwed royally

$30 trillion in wealth created since 2009 and almost none trickled down to the workers.

Time for strong unions again to hold back all labor until wages and benefits return

What unions? The only remaining unions now are government unions and they are putting the taxpayers in a serious hole. Unions are a thing of the past. They are in their rightful place--history books.

Yeah, 30 trillion since 2009, and who was President during all that time? Oh, that's right, blame Reagan.

Exactly...and Government Unions are not allowed to strike

The drop in wages and benefits corresponds to the decrease in power for the unions

Imagine the workers getting a bigger piece of the pie again, it would be great for the country
The money is there......Workers need to start demanding it

What you don't understand is that your idea only works in your little world.

In reality, all costs to business get passed down to us--the little people.

For instance, everybody wants cleaner air. Oh how nice cleaner air is. So in the trucking industry, we got hit with all kinds of environmental costs. A new tractor today costs over 10K than they did seven years ago. Why? Because of all the pollution BS they have to manufacture those trucks with.

Then we have this stuff called Diesel Emission Fluid, or DEF for short. It's a separate container that squirts that goofy fluid into the exhaust pipe to make it cleaner. During the Bush regime, the EPA forced refineries to make diesel fuel cleaner by greatly lowering the sulfur content. Since that time, diesel fuel increased to around a dollar a gallon more than gasoline, and it's still that way today. Prior to that, diesel was cheaper than gasoline.

So my employer has to pay more for trucks, more for diesel fuel, has to buy DEF for the trucks, and 80% of the problems with the trucks we have have to do with some pollution gadget going haywire. So who do you think pays for all this, my employer?

Of course not. My employer has to increase our fees to our customers. Our customers who manufacture the products we buy at the store has to increase their prices to cover additional transportation costs. That's how it works in the real world.
Very interesting, and sounds fair to me. The only problem is that the nonrich are going to hell under Reaganist policy, and can't afford to keep up the demand we need.

How is semi fuel economy been doing? Has it gone up like car economy AND power? Thanks in great part to Dems I might add...Win win (along with less pollution.)

Our price of fuel today has nothing to do with the Dems. In fact, without them, fuel would be even lower today.

Our fuel break is due to fracking which most libs are against. Thanks to fracking ON PRIVATE LAND we've experienced an abundance of fuel. In fact, our lower fuel costs are what's driving the economy now and has for well over a year. What's more is that my employer has been able to lift our fuel surcharge which makes our service a little bit cheaper for our customers. On top of that, since we had a total Republican leadership, we no longer have two speed limits: one lower speed for trucks and another higher speed for cars. We all drive the same speed so we can get our deliveries done faster.

Quit trying to give credit to Democrats for Republican accomplishments. You don't know how desperate it makes you look.
Next year, new regulations to raise semi MPG. Since you can't answer any questions.
Fuel Efficient Semi-Trucks | Evan Transportation

Then the workers need to get a larger slice of the pie by making themselves more valuable to employers. The more valuable you are to an employer, the more money you are worth to him.

American workers are among the most productive on earth. They also work more hours and receive less vacation and benefits and retire later than the rest of the world....In spite of what conservatives claim...American workers are not lazy

Why?

1 - Will they cut staff?

McDonald's orders 7,000 touchscreen kiosks to replace cashiers
They would do that if they were paying a $2 wage
If they were really smart, they would use a smartphone app to allow customers to order and pay

Forum List

Back