This mayor wants to publicize who’s on welfare and where they live

You can see no circumstance where someone might find themselves needing assistance through no fault of their own?

Only in a situation where a medical condition might be the culprit. Other than that, no, I really don't.

Most poverty is caused from bad planning which is not the fault of anybody but the individual. In many of those cases, children are involved. It takes a lot of money to raise a child today. That's why nobody should have children until they are 100% sure their financial situation is stable and worth the risk.
I envy you...living in a black or white world must be so easy.

No need to envy me. I just made better decisions in life. When I was younger, I made a decision to not have children and I never did. I didn't want the responsibility or associated costs with children.

I started working minimum wage jobs and kept trying to better myself. In those days, it was not uncommon for me to have two to three jobs with my full-time job being six days a week.

I made investments and took risks. Some worked out and some didn't. But one thing about me is I always tried.

So I cannot see anything that would prevent another American from doing the same as I did or even better provided they are physically and mentally capable.
Time to tear this apart and show you why suck a black and white view is blatantly wrong and makes you look quite stupid.
Better decisions? How do you define better decisions? How do you apply this to poor people across the country? Do you take into account the job availability in areas where the poor struggle? Rent costs? Financial troubles mid pregnancy? Nothing is black and white, NOTHING to do with the poor. Oh, you chose not to have children? Congratulations, how is this relevant? Some people want to raise a family, society should help them do that, after all, this is a "christian" society. Oh, you worked two to three jobs with a full time job being six days a week? Congratulations, I assume you believe everyone in poverty should have to work that much to be viewed as "trying." Single mothers? GO WORK 50 HOURS A WEEK YOU DEADBEAT. This is the stupidity of such a view. This sick idea that in the twenty first century, when productivity is surging, that poor people should simply work 50 hours a week or be called deadbeats. You don't even take into account employers hiring part time to avoid giving out benefits, stale employment in particular areas, rent prices.. Now, take into account conservative nut jobs wanting to take away the minimum wage AND the safety net, well, you should see the psychopathy by now. Congratulations, poor people don't try to stay poor on purpose, everybody tries, and if your investments didn't work out, what would've happened to you?

Fuck poor people.
The worst part is, you're serious.
:wtf:

This mayor is a moron.
This mayor wants to publicize who’s on welfare and where they live
If you receive government assistance in the state of Maine, Lewiston Mayor Robert Macdonald thinks the public has a right to know about it.

In a Thursday column for the Twin City Times, Macdonald said a bill will be submitted during Maine’s next legislative session“asking that a Web site be created containing the names, addresses, length of time on assistance and the benefits being collected by every individual on the dole.”

He added: “After all, the public has a right to know how its money is being spent.”

Proposals to target welfare recipients and reform assistance programs have become lightning rods for broader discussions on how the poor are treatedand how taxpayer dollars are used.

Kansas lawmakers received both national criticism and praise this summer after approving a law limiting how people in the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program can use their benefits. And at least 13 states have some sort of drug testing laws for public public assistance applicants or recipients.

[Kansas bans welfare recipients from seeing movies, going swimming on government’s dime]

Macdonald, a local Republican mayor who is up for reelection in November, can’t submit a state bill himself, so he would need a state lawmaker to back the plan in the legislature.

In his column Thursday, he wrote that Maine has a Web site listing the pension amounts individuals receive — something “taxpayers have a right to know,” he said — and wondered why welfare recipients’ information isn’t also publicly posted.

“The answer: our liberal, progressive legislators and their social-service allies have made them a victimized, protected class,” Macdonald wrote. “It’s none of your business how much of your money they get and spend. Who are you to question it? Just shut up and pay!”

Whats wrong with that? Liberals published who owns firearms.
Were they public officials looking to make it public policy?

Aaaah...so it's fine for public citizens to do it?
How about we get a FOI and do it ourselves?
How did you infer that I thought it was fine for 'public citizens' - whatever they are - to do it?

You were okay with liberal activist publishing the names and addresses of firearm owners.

Only in a situation where a medical condition might be the culprit. Other than that, no, I really don't.

Most poverty is caused from bad planning which is not the fault of anybody but the individual. In many of those cases, children are involved. It takes a lot of money to raise a child today. That's why nobody should have children until they are 100% sure their financial situation is stable and worth the risk.

No need to envy me. I just made better decisions in life. When I was younger, I made a decision to not have children and I never did. I didn't want the responsibility or associated costs with children.

I started working minimum wage jobs and kept trying to better myself. In those days, it was not uncommon for me to have two to three jobs with my full-time job being six days a week.

I made investments and took risks. Some worked out and some didn't. But one thing about me is I always tried.

So I cannot see anything that would prevent another American from doing the same as I did or even better provided they are physically and mentally capable.
Time to tear this apart and show you why suck a black and white view is blatantly wrong and makes you look quite stupid.
Better decisions? How do you define better decisions? How do you apply this to poor people across the country? Do you take into account the job availability in areas where the poor struggle? Rent costs? Financial troubles mid pregnancy? Nothing is black and white, NOTHING to do with the poor. Oh, you chose not to have children? Congratulations, how is this relevant? Some people want to raise a family, society should help them do that, after all, this is a "christian" society. Oh, you worked two to three jobs with a full time job being six days a week? Congratulations, I assume you believe everyone in poverty should have to work that much to be viewed as "trying." Single mothers? GO WORK 50 HOURS A WEEK YOU DEADBEAT. This is the stupidity of such a view. This sick idea that in the twenty first century, when productivity is surging, that poor people should simply work 50 hours a week or be called deadbeats. You don't even take into account employers hiring part time to avoid giving out benefits, stale employment in particular areas, rent prices.. Now, take into account conservative nut jobs wanting to take away the minimum wage AND the safety net, well, you should see the psychopathy by now. Congratulations, poor people don't try to stay poor on purpose, everybody tries, and if your investments didn't work out, what would've happened to you?

Fuck poor people.

No...thats the part of me that was poor and worked my way out of poverty.

Fuck poor people.

People fall in and out of poverty, millions are kept out and get out thanks to a safety net.

Yep, exactly what I said. Our government doesn't select who will be poor, rich or anything in between. If government doesn't select that, then who does?
You can see no circumstance where someone might find themselves needing assistance through no fault of their own?

That's right...it's black and white to you...you either succeed or you're inferior.
Such a simple and satisfying outlook on life...no need to think or empathise or consider circumstance...you're poor so you're useless/stupid/inferior/...

Yep, exactly what I said. Our government doesn't select who will be poor, rich or anything in between. If government doesn't select that, then who does?

That's right...it's black and white to you...you either succeed or you're inferior.
Such a simple and satisfying outlook on life...no need to think or empathise or consider circumstance...you're poor so you're useless/stupid/inferior/...
I don't remember Jesus preaching that wealth was a measure of success or superiority..

Fuck poor people.

People fall in and out of poverty, millions are kept out and get out thanks to a safety net.

Thats interesting.
I never once had to take gov assistance although I would have qualified.
The problem nowadays is people like you have no shame so you think it's fine for others to pay your way.
Personally I wont accept charity unless I'm dying.

Whats wrong with that? Liberals published who owns firearms.
Were they public officials looking to make it public policy?

Aaaah...so it's fine for public citizens to do it?
How about we get a FOI and do it ourselves?
How did you infer that I thought it was fine for 'public citizens' - whatever they are - to do it?

You were okay with liberal activist publishing the names and addresses of firearm owners.
Was I?

Fuck poor people.

Thats interesting.
The problem nowadays is people like you have no shame so you think it's fine for others to pay your way.
Welfare programs shown to reduce poverty in America

Food stamps. Unemployment benefits. Social security. Earned income tax credits.

Do these social welfare programs work? Yes, according to a new study from the Pew Charitable Trusts.

Safety nets like food stamps prevent millions more people from struggling to put food on the table, says Jake Grovum, who analyzed the data for the Pew Charitable Trusts.

Consider Grovum’s findings:

• For people of all ages, the official poverty rate in the US was 14.5%. That’s equivalent to 45.3 million people.
  • Without food stamps, the poverty rate would be 17.10% – another 8 million Americans would be living in poverty.
  • Without social security, the poverty rate for Americans 65 and older would be 52.67% instead of the current 14.6%.
  • Without tax credits like the federal earned income tax credit, poverty for children under 18 would be 22.8% instead of the official poverty rate of 19.9%.
These numbers are important. US lawmakers have long struggled to show exactly how and where certain types of government assistance are helping Americans stay out of poverty.

Nobody, on the right or the left, wants more people to live in poverty. Yet America has a dismal record on poverty for an advanced nation. Already, over 14% of US households have experienced food insecurity. One in seven Americans live in poverty, including one in five US children. Of all the millions of unemployed people in the country, fully one-third have been out of work for 27 weeks or more.
Guess they're all deadbeats..

Fuck poor people.

Thats interesting.

What a fucken noob.
If you accept gov assistance you are the definition of impoverished.

Thats interesting.

What a fucken noob.
You really don't get it?
  • For people of all ages, the official poverty rate in the US was 14.5%. That’s equivalent to 45.3 million people.
  • Without food stamps, the poverty rate would be 17.10% – another 8 million Americans would be living in poverty.
  • Without social security, the poverty rate for Americans 65 and older would be 52.67% instead of the current 14.6%.
  • Without tax credits like the federal earned income tax credit, poverty for children under 18 would be 22.8% instead of the official poverty rate of 19.9%.

Thats interesting.

What a fucken noob.
You really don't get it?

You dumb fuck!
If you are on gov assistance you are impoverished.
Without my money you'd starve.

Thats interesting.

What a fucken noob.
You really don't get it?

You dumb fuck!
:lalala:

Thats interesting.

What a fucken noob.
You really don't get it?

You dumb fuck!
:lalala:

The typical liberal response to common sense......

Thats interesting.

What a fucken noob.
You really don't get it?

You dumb fuck!

Wrong.

Without your money, they would get a job and learn how to feed themselves.

Food stamps. Unemployment benefits. Social security. Earned income tax credits.

Do these social welfare programs work? Yes, according to a new study from the Pew Charitable Trusts.

Safety nets like food stamps prevent millions more people from struggling to put food on the table, says Jake Grovum, who analyzed the data for the Pew Charitable Trusts.

Consider Grovum’s findings:

These numbers are important. US lawmakers have long struggled to show exactly how and where certain types of government assistance are helping Americans stay out of poverty.

Nobody, on the right or the left, wants more people to live in poverty. Yet America has a dismal record on poverty for an advanced nation. Already, over 14% of US households have experienced food insecurity. One in seven Americans live in poverty, including one in five US children. Of all the millions of unemployed people in the country, fully one-third have been out of work for 27 weeks or more.
Guess they're all deadbeats..

War on poverty: US spent $15 trillion over 5 decades
Next: Fox
January 8, 2014 6:24 PM MST

Months after JFK's assassination, Lyndon Johnson told congress and the nation that he was declaring "an unconditional war on poverty in America." Five decades and $15 trillion later, that war is lost.

Taxpayers have been bilked trillions of dollars.

Back in 1964, America's poverty rate was 19 percent. Today, it's 15 percent and the number is rising thanks to failed programs. The government borrowed money and forced taxpayers to spend $15 trillion in anti-poverty programs. However, bureaucrats and politicians have not been held accountable for squandering America's wealth.

War on poverty: US spent $15 trillion over 5 decades

Forum List

Back