This mayor wants to publicize who’s on welfare and where they live

The poor need to be shamed so they don't enjoy being poor so much

Only through suffering and humiliation will the poor give up their ways
Was that in the gospel of mark? :2up:

As Jesus once said to a beggar in the street.......Get a job freeloader!

Well that's the difference between the time of Jesus (which you on the left don't understand) and America today.

Back in Jesus's day, if you were born poor, you stayed poor because there were no choices. In a great country like ours, you have all the choices in the world including getting out of poverty.

There are still places like that where you have no choices but to be poor. Those people are trying to get into this country just to have a chance. Poverty in the US is a choice for most people.
Poverty in the US is a choice for most people.
?!

Well that's the difference between the time of Jesus (which you on the left don't understand) and America today.

Back in Jesus's day, if you were born poor, you stayed poor because there were no choices. In a great country like ours, you have all the choices in the world including getting out of poverty.

There are still places like that where you have no choices but to be poor. Those people are trying to get into this country just to have a chance. Poverty in the US is a choice for most people.
?!

Yep, exactly what I said. Our government doesn't select who will be poor, rich or anything in between. If government doesn't select that, then who does?

People who truly need a hand up from the public no. The bunch of able bodied lazy lard asses yes, and especially the 50% of illegals who are sucking up public assistance.

?!

Yep, exactly what I said. Our government doesn't select who will be poor, rich or anything in between. If government doesn't select that, then who does?
You can see no circumstance where someone might find themselves needing assistance through no fault of their own?

?!

You can see no circumstance where someone might find themselves needing assistance through no fault of their own?

Only in a situation where a medical condition might be the culprit. Other than that, no, I really don't.

Most poverty is caused from bad planning which is not the fault of anybody but the individual. In many of those cases, children are involved. It takes a lot of money to raise a child today. That's why nobody should have children until they are 100% sure their financial situation is stable and worth the risk.

If you can afford a jet ski and a motor home, should taxpayers be paying for your food stamps?

If you can afford a jet ski and a motorhome, should taxpayers be paying for your food stamps?
Right, because everyone who gets public assistance has jet skis and motorhomes
Conservatives actually believe that... unfortunately.
People who identify as conservatives tend to see things as black, or white. They have trouble with complications.

They are however, more likely to identify threats, than people who identify as liberals.

So maybe we should leave the Republicans outside in the front yard to guard the country, and liberals will do all the thinking

Republicans are not conservatives and liberals are not democrats.

The two parties suck.

Of course, nobody has taken the time to really evaluate the proposal.

David0.42(IQ) immediately goes to his corner and everyone else joins in.

He knows it all between classes.

?!

Only in a situation where a medical condition might be the culprit. Other than that, no, I really don't.

Most poverty is caused from bad planning which is not the fault of anybody but the individual. In many of those cases, children are involved. It takes a lot of money to raise a child today. That's why nobody should have children until they are 100% sure their financial situation is stable and worth the risk.
I envy you...living in a black or white world must be so easy.

This mayor is a moron.
If you receive government assistance in the state of Maine, Lewiston Mayor Robert Macdonald thinks the public has a right to know about it.

In a Thursday column for the Twin City Times, Macdonald said a bill will be submitted during Maine’s next legislative session“asking that a Web site be created containing the names, addresses, length of time on assistance and the benefits being collected by every individual on the dole.”

He added: “After all, the public has a right to know how its money is being spent.”

Proposals to target welfare recipients and reform assistance programs have become lightning rods for broader discussions on how the poor are treatedand how taxpayer dollars are used.

Kansas lawmakers received both national criticism and praise this summer after approving a law limiting how people in the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program can use their benefits. And at least 13 states have some sort of drug testing laws for public public assistance applicants or recipients.

[Kansas bans welfare recipients from seeing movies, going swimming on government’s dime]

Macdonald, a local Republican mayor who is up for reelection in November, can’t submit a state bill himself, so he would need a state lawmaker to back the plan in the legislature.

In his column Thursday, he wrote that Maine has a Web site listing the pension amounts individuals receive — something “taxpayers have a right to know,” he said — and wondered why welfare recipients’ information isn’t also publicly posted.

“The answer: our liberal, progressive legislators and their social-service allies have made them a victimized, protected class,” Macdonald wrote. “It’s none of your business how much of your money they get and spend. Who are you to question it? Just shut up and pay!”

Whats wrong with that? Liberals published who owns firearms.

This mayor is a moron.
If you receive government assistance in the state of Maine, Lewiston Mayor Robert Macdonald thinks the public has a right to know about it.

In a Thursday column for the Twin City Times, Macdonald said a bill will be submitted during Maine’s next legislative session“asking that a Web site be created containing the names, addresses, length of time on assistance and the benefits being collected by every individual on the dole.”

He added: “After all, the public has a right to know how its money is being spent.”

Proposals to target welfare recipients and reform assistance programs have become lightning rods for broader discussions on how the poor are treatedand how taxpayer dollars are used.

Kansas lawmakers received both national criticism and praise this summer after approving a law limiting how people in the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program can use their benefits. And at least 13 states have some sort of drug testing laws for public public assistance applicants or recipients.

[Kansas bans welfare recipients from seeing movies, going swimming on government’s dime]

Macdonald, a local Republican mayor who is up for reelection in November, can’t submit a state bill himself, so he would need a state lawmaker to back the plan in the legislature.

In his column Thursday, he wrote that Maine has a Web site listing the pension amounts individuals receive — something “taxpayers have a right to know,” he said — and wondered why welfare recipients’ information isn’t also publicly posted.

“The answer: our liberal, progressive legislators and their social-service allies have made them a victimized, protected class,” Macdonald wrote. “It’s none of your business how much of your money they get and spend. Who are you to question it? Just shut up and pay!”

Were they public officials looking to make it public policy?

Let's ask each other...

First...would you ever take assiatance from the government.

If you did, would you mind if people knew ?

Simple questions.

This mayor is a moron.

Aaaah...so it's fine for public citizens to do it?
How about we get a FOI and do it ourselves?

Let's ask each other...

Simple questions.
Technically, we all get assistance from the government.
If you refer to welfare, yes, if times got bad for myself.
I wouldn't want people to know, but that's just me.

?!

No need to envy me. I just made better decisions in life. When I was younger, I made a decision to not have children and I never did. I didn't want the responsibility or associated costs with children.

I started working minimum wage jobs and kept trying to better myself. In those days, it was not uncommon for me to have two to three jobs with my full-time job being six days a week.

I made investments and took risks. Some worked out and some didn't. But one thing about me is I always tried.

So I cannot see anything that would prevent another American from doing the same as I did or even better provided they are physically and mentally capable.

Let's ask each other...

Simple questions.
Technically, we all get assistance from the government.
If you refer to welfare, yes, if times got bad for myself.
I wouldn't want people to know, but that's just me.

Technically ...no we dont.
Some of us get a return on our investment.
Others get more than their fair share.

No need to envy me. I just made better decisions in life. When I was younger, I made a decision to not have children and I never did. I didn't want the responsibility or associated costs with children.

I started working minimum wage jobs and kept trying to better myself. In those days, it was not uncommon for me to have two to three jobs with my full-time job being six days a week.

I made investments and took risks. Some worked out and some didn't. But one thing about me is I always tried.

So I cannot see anything that would prevent another American from doing the same as I did or even better provided they are physically and mentally capable.
Time to tear this apart and show you why suck a black and white view is blatantly wrong and makes you look quite stupid.
Better decisions? How do you define better decisions? How do you apply this to poor people across the country? Do you take into account the job availability in areas where the poor struggle? Rent costs? Financial troubles mid pregnancy? Nothing is black and white, NOTHING to do with the poor. Oh, you chose not to have children? Congratulations, how is this relevant? Some people want to raise a family, society should help them do that, after all, this is a "christian" society. Oh, you worked two to three jobs with a full time job being six days a week? Congratulations, I assume you believe everyone in poverty should have to work that much to be viewed as "trying." Single mothers? GO WORK 50 HOURS A WEEK YOU DEADBEAT. This is the stupidity of such a view. This sick idea that in the twenty first century, when productivity is surging, that poor people should simply work 50 hours a week or be called deadbeats. You don't even take into account employers hiring part time to avoid giving out benefits, stale employment in particular areas, rent prices.. Now, take into account conservative nut jobs wanting to take away the minimum wage AND the safety net, well, you should see the psychopathy by now. Congratulations, poor people don't try to stay poor on purpose, everybody tries, and if your investments didn't work out, what would've happened to you?

Dont mind david....he's laughing to keep from crying.

Time to tear this apart and show you why suck a black and white view is blatantly wrong and makes you look quite stupid.
Better decisions? How do you define better decisions? How do you apply this to poor people across the country? Do you take into account the job availability in areas where the poor struggle? Rent costs? Financial troubles mid pregnancy? Nothing is black and white, NOTHING to do with the poor. Oh, you chose not to have children? Congratulations, how is this relevant? Some people want to raise a family, society should help them do that, after all, this is a "christian" society. Oh, you worked two to three jobs with a full time job being six days a week? Congratulations, I assume you believe everyone in poverty should have to work that much to be viewed as "trying." Single mothers? GO WORK 50 HOURS A WEEK YOU DEADBEAT. This is the stupidity of such a view. This sick idea that in the twenty first century, when productivity is surging, that poor people should simply work 50 hours a week or be called deadbeats. You don't even take into account employers hiring part time to avoid giving out benefits, stale employment in particular areas, rent prices.. Now, take into account conservative nut jobs wanting to take away the minimum wage AND the safety net, well, you should see the psychopathy by now. Congratulations, poor people don't try to stay poor on purpose, everybody tries, and if your investments didn't work out, what would've happened to you?

Fuck poor people.

This mayor is a moron.

Aaaah...so it's fine for public citizens to do it?
How about we get a FOI and do it ourselves?
How did you infer that I thought it was fine for 'public citizens' - whatever they are - to do it?

Forum List

Back