This mindset is racist to me, is racist to you?

Blacks need welfare, affirmative action, gov't assistance, hiring quotas.

I'm focusing on the word need. That word makes the statement INACCURATE. Whether or not it is racist depends on a lot more info that is not stated in the original post. What is the full context of the statement around this? What is the specific point that the speaker is trying to make?

If the overall point is "Blacks have needed welfare, affirmative action, gov't assistance, and hiring quotas to offset the socio-economic damage done by centuries of slave economy, followed by decades of segregation, denied or diminished employment and lack of access to quality public education" it would not be a racist statement. And by putting it in the past tense it would also now be a correct statement. Whether or not blacks as a group STILL need welfare, affirmative action, gov't assistance, and hiring quotas to offset the socio-economic damage is pretty much a matter of debate and probably will be for some time.

But if the overall point is "Blacks are not capable of succeeding without welfare, affirmative action, gov't assistance, and hiring quotas to offset the socio-economic damage....", that would be incorrect and possibly racist.. Just my opinion.

Possibly racist? Why only possibly?

As a white guy growing up in the inner city, I was taught that pitying blacks because they're black is immoral. I think my parents got it right.

Sounds to me a lot like the mindset some slaveowners had, that blacks need to be owned as slaves because they can't handle freedom or living on their own/independence.

Edit: title should be is IT racist to you?

I think poor people need help, but I'm not sure that they need the sort of help that we've historically given them.

dear fucking IDIOT,

black people have needed help because racist fucks exsist.

pretend all you wnat no one is racists but it is a fucking fact

Well, duh, you alone are proof of that.

Immie

Can I offer you a cookie?

Oreo.jpg

I'm focusing on the word need. That word makes the statement INACCURATE. Whether or not it is racist depends on a lot more info that is not stated in the original post. What is the full context of the statement around this? What is the specific point that the speaker is trying to make?

If the overall point is "Blacks have needed welfare, affirmative action, gov't assistance, and hiring quotas to offset the socio-economic damage done by centuries of slave economy, followed by decades of segregation, denied or diminished employment and lack of access to quality public education" it would not be a racist statement. And by putting it in the past tense it would also now be a correct statement. Whether or not blacks as a group STILL need welfare, affirmative action, gov't assistance, and hiring quotas to offset the socio-economic damage is pretty much a matter of debate and probably will be for some time.

But if the overall point is "Blacks are not capable of succeeding without welfare, affirmative action, gov't assistance, and hiring quotas to offset the socio-economic damage....", that would be incorrect and possibly racist.. Just my opinion.

Because there is also the possibility that the person making the statement was mis-informed. I have OFTEN met people who have stated something that was wrong, in many cases offensive, because it was what they were told and believed without question. When presented with evidence in a rational manner they vacated the wrong, sometimes offensive point of view. Some people believe bad things because that's what they were taught. Some people believe bad things because they want them to be true. I worry most about the latter.

Because there is also the possibility that the person making the statement was mis-informed. I have OFTEN met people who have stated something that was wrong, in many cases offensive, because it was what they were told and believed without question. When presented with evidence in a rational manner they vacated the wrong, sometimes offensive point of view. Some people believe bad things because that's what they were taught. Some people believe bad things because they want them to be true. I worry most about the latter.

Good answer, thanks

As a white guy growing up in the inner city, I was taught that pitying blacks because they're black is immoral. I think my parents got it right.

Sounds to me a lot like the mindset some slaveowners had, that blacks need to be owned as slaves because they can't handle freedom or living on their own/independence.

If you think blacks are incapable of succeeding without those things (and believe that they have all of the same opportunities as whites - for example), I think it could be considered racist.

But I think there are people who believe that blacks have kind of gotten off to a bad start in America, and a lot of those hierarchical structures (outside of their control) remained in place long after slavery, and that they need an additional 'boost' here or there to level the playing field. I don't think that's necessarily racist. These are the people who consider blacks to be just as capable as whites, but are simply held back due to barriers beyond their control.

Last edited:
Im so fucking sick of you lying fucking assholes

The Democrat Party founded the KKK. Does that make you fucking sick?

In all fairness, the Democratic Party was a completely different organization at the time when the KKK was founded (same goes for the Republican Party).

Political parties evolve, change views, initiatives, and ultimately attract different types of people (and represent different values) throughout the ages.

I doubt the type of person that founded the KKK would be a supporting member of the Democrats today, given their push for secular legislation, and support for affirmative action, gay marriage, ect.... do you?

Last edited:

In all fairness, the Democratic Party was a completely different organization at the time when the KKK was founded (same goes for the Republican Party).

Political parties evolve, change views, initiatives, and ultimately attract different types of people (and represent different values) throughout the ages.

I doubt the type of person that founded the KKK would be a supporting member of the Democrats today, given their push for secular legislation, and support for affirmative action, gay marriage, ect.... do you?

Yes, we've all head the spin on this. How come Robert Byrd didn't evolve to a Republican? George Wallace? Hmmmm. Jesse Jackson wanted to castrate Obama. Bill Clinton said Obama was a Chicago street thug. Looks like some of you didn't evolve.

Last edited:

Kevin,

You have to understand that we are dealing with TM here. You see, in her world view, if whites at any point in history denied blacks jobs, then whites of today are guilty and blacks must continue to be helped for all time. So saying that the KKK was founded by the Democrats (regardless of time frame) is perfectly fair in her bizarro little world. Buford is just giving TM a typical TM response in return. There is no statute of limitations in her world.

If you think blacks are incapable of succeeding without those things (and believe that they have all of the same opportunities as whites - for example), I think it could be considered racist.

But I think there are people who believe that blacks have kind of gotten off to a bad start in America, and a lot of those hierarchical structures (outside of their control) remained in place long after slavery, and that they need an additional 'boost' here or there to level the playing field. I don't think that's necessarily racist. These are the people who consider blacks to be just as capable as whites, but are simply held back due to barriers beyond their control.

Can you elaborate on the "barriers beyond their control"?

Can you elaborate on the "barriers beyond their control"?

I guess you can't.

Fact is blacks have no more barriers placed against them than any one of any color or ethnicity. We all have the same opportunity to educate ourselves and find suitable employment. Blacks need to stop playing the victim and liberal whites to get over their guilt.

Forum List

Back