This story is for AFrench2, please read it in its entirety. Maybe you can understand economics better.

Mikeoxenormous

Diamond Member
May 6, 2015
Floor E Da
Overtaxing the rich: A cautionary tale - The Globe and Mail

Each and every day, 10 men go to a restaurant for dinner together. The bill for all 10 comes to $100 each day. If the bill were paid the way we pay our taxes, the first four would pay nothing; the fifth would pay $1; the sixth would pay $3; the seventh $7; the eighth $12; the ninth $18. The 10th man – the richest – would pay $59. Although the 10 men didn't share the bill equally, they all seemed content enough with the arrangement – until the restaurant owner threw them a curve.

"You're all very good customers," the owner said, "so I'm going to reduce the cost of your daily meal by $20. I'm going to charge you just $80 in total." The 10 men looked at each other and seemed genuinely surprised, but quite happy about the news.

The first four men, of course, are unaffected because they weren't paying anything for their meals anyway. They'll still eat for free. The big question is how to divvy up the $20 in savings among the remaining six in a way that's fair for each of them. They realized that $20 divided by six is $3.33, but if they subtract that amount from each person's share, then the fifth and sixth men would end up being paid to eat their meals. The restaurant owner suggested that it would be fair to reduce each person's bill by roughly the same percentage, and he proceeded to work out the amounts that each should pay.

The results? The fifth man paid nothing, the sixth pitched in $2, the seventh paid $5, the eighth paid $9, the ninth paid $14, leaving the 10th man with a bill of $50 instead of $59. Outside the restaurant, the men began to compare their savings. "I only got one dollar out of the $20," said the sixth man, pointing to the 10th man, "and he got $9!" "Yeah, that's right," exclaimed the fifth man. "I only saved a dollar, too! It's not fair that he got nine times more than me!" "That's true," shouted the seventh man. "Why should he get back $9 when I only got $2? The rich get all the breaks!" "Wait a minute," yelled the first four men in unison. "We didn't get anything at all. The system exploits the poor!"

The nine outraged men surrounded the 10th and brutally assaulted him. The next day, he didn't show up for dinner, so the nine sat down and ate without him. But when it came time to pay the bill, they faced a problem that they hadn't faced before. They were $50 short.

The Moral of the story : The fact is, if you overtax the rich, they just might not show up for dinner next time. After all, there are plenty of good restaurants around the world.

Thank you for the story...and the outraged beating and brutal assault there at the end. That was quite a violent curveball to a rather modest story.
How was it brutal, it is the "FACTS"....Do you not believe in "FACTS"?
No, I'm saying you used the word "brutal" in the story. you said he was brutally assaulted.

Quite an ending...
That was what was in the story, dont shoot the messenger please. Okay, i will rephrase the ending to be more in line with CNN. The rich guy was somewhat peacefully but brutally assaulted. Does that work for you?

There it is Frenchie boy shows his ignorance. He doesn't know about the Yacht tax disaster yet.

Correcto. And there is no logical reason why yachts and planes should have been taxed more, other than Leftist feel goodism, striking back at the rich.
This was a great example of what their policies do to jobs and industry and yet they remain clueless and ready to move right on to the next thing they can screw up.

thank you for that post.

"≈25,000 workers in American Yacht Building lost their jobs, 75,000 more jobs were lost from companies supplying parts and materials to those yacht companies"

• "We went from net exporter to importer, as the rich just bought their boats made in other countries, and listed their livery in the Bahamas, to get around the taxes: and the industry has never recovered"

Thank you for the story...and the outraged beating and brutal assault there at the end. That was quite a violent curveball to a rather modest story.

Gee a Trump supporter telling a story that involves violence. No surprise.

Yes, there was violence in the story but it had a meaning to it by saying that if you tax the rich they could end up leaving for havens where the taxation is lower while still selling you the product...

A balance must be struct and putting it all on the rich is never wise...

The problem with liberals is that they all think it won't be them that gets taxed....they truly believe that only the rich will pay more...but that isn't true...look at the cost of gas heating oil food lumber tools and everything that gets shipped by truck....

During Obama we all paid more for everything and it was not a job seekers market...people were stuck at a fixed income as costs skyrocketed....

Its already happening again along with a devaluation of the dollar...in a year the middle class and working poor won't be able to afford shit....because the dollar won't go very far....

And for you retired folks surviving on SSN and maybe a small pension...soon it will hit you too with social security freezing rates....
The only bright side to what Joe is doing is when he is finished no one will want anything like him to happen again....

Think ahead people...especially you young folks...it will be you and your children that will not live as good of a life as your parents.....

You can't be mad at the Kid. He is a product of the environment that we allowed to take over our children. He thinks exactly the way they taught him to think, which is, "Don't think for yourself. Don't use common sense. We have already thought for you. Only believe what we tell you."

Puppy, how is that open border project working out for you and your state? They're expensive aren't they. No problem, you just need to get to work and what you make on Mon, Tues, and Wed, send to the president of Venezuela and see if that helps stem the tide. If not, send what you make on Thurs to the Congo...

The moral of the story is you tax where the money is.

1617652183570.png

Gee a Trump supporter telling a story that involves violence. No surprise.
cant get through a day, w/out some demonRAT shit stain mentioning TRUMP...enjoy-your-TRUMP orgasm

I just was wondering why the 4 poor people in the story go apeshit and get violent?

Are they the minorities in your story?
Why is it the poor always bitch and moan when a tax break is given to the rich and middle class?
Oh, uhm I know this one, I learned it last week on Jeopardy...perhaps because *checks notes*

Shut the fuck up.

I just was wondering why the 4 poor people in the story go apeshit and get violent?

Are they the minorities in your story?
Why is it the poor always bitch and moan when a tax break is given to the rich and middle class?
Oh, uhm I know this one, I learned it last week on Jeopardy...perhaps because *checks notes*

Shut the fuck up.
Oh i see, it is because you whiney bitches cant stand it when other people can make it, but your sorry prog ass, just is too stupid. Is that it?

b2b644a3140e9a2215c7e8b1ef7954c1.jpg

Forum List

Back