Thoughts on the CDC hiding their 2.4 million defensive gun use research...

2aguy is hiding that the defensive gun use is overwhelmingly by LEO.

And again, the anti gunner has to lie...because the truth, the facts and the reality do not support his beliefs about guns...

CDC, in Surveys It Never Bothered Making Public, Provides More Evidence That Plenty of Americans Innocently Defend Themselves with Guns

Kleck was impressed with how well the survey worded its question: "During the last 12 months, have you confronted another person with a firearm, even if you did not fire it, to protect yourself, your property, or someone else?"

Respondents were told to leave out incidents from occupations, like policing, where using firearms is part of the job.

Kleck is impressed with how the question excludes animals but includes DGUs outside the home as well as within it.

Kleck's "study" found more than 3 million incidents of DGU per year, which is 3 times more than the number of violent crimes committed per year.
If a crime is prevented by use of a gun then a crime never happened to be reported

Not really true as attempting a crime is still a crime. If I attempt to rob a bank and fail, then I still committed a crime.

Real defensive gun use, the problem with klecks methodologies, plus some statistics.

How To Manufacture A Statistic
In 1997, David Hemenway, a professor of Health Policy at the Harvard School of Public Health, offered the first of many decisive rebukes of Kleck and Getz’s methodology, citing several overarching biases in their study.

First, there is the social desirability bias. Respondents will falsely claim that their gun has been used for its intended purpose—to ward off a criminal—in order to validate their initial purchase. A respondent may also exaggerate facts to appear heroic to the interviewer.

Second, there’s the problem of gun owners responding strategically. Given that there are around 3 million members of the National Rifle Association (NRA) in the United States, ostensibly all aware of the debate surrounding defensive gun use, Hemenway suggested that some gun advocates will lie to help bias estimates upwards by either blatantly fabricating incidents or embellishing situations that should not actually qualify as defensive gun use.

Third is the risk of false positives from “telescoping,” where respondents may recall an actual self-defense use that is outside the question’s time frame. We know that telescoping problems produce substantial biases in defensive gun use estimates because the National Crime Victimization Survey (NCVS), the gold standard of criminal victimization surveys, explicitly catalogs and corrects for it.

Specifically, NCVS asks questions on the household level every 6 months. The first household interview has no time frame. Follow-up interviews are restricted to a six-month time frame and then NCVS corrects for duplicates. Using this strategy, NCVS finds that telescoping alone likely produces at least a 30 percent increase in false positives.

These sorts of biases, which are inherent in reporting self-defense incidents, can lead to nonsensical results. In several crime categories, for example, gun owners would have to protect themselves more than 100 percent of the time for Kleck and Getz’s estimates to make sense. For example, guns were allegedly used in self-defense in 845,000 burglaries, according to Kleck and Getz. However, from reliable victimization surveys, we know that there were fewer than 1.3 million burglaries where someone was in the home at the time of the crime, and only 33 percent of these had occupants who weren’t sleeping. From surveys on firearm ownership, we also know that 42 percent of U.S. households owned firearms at the time of the survey. Even if burglars only rob houses of gun owners, and those gun owners use their weapons in self-defense every single time they are awake, the 845,000 statistic cited in Kleck and Gertz’s paper is simply mathematically impossible.

Despite survey data on defensive gun uses being notoriously unreliable, until recently there have been only scattered attempts at providing an empirical alternative. The first scientific attempt was a study in Arizona, which examined newspaper, police reports and court records for defensive gun uses in the Phoenix area over a 100 day period. At the time Arizona had the 6th highest gun death rate, an above average number of households with firearms and a permissive “shall issue” concealed carry law meaning that defensive gun use should be higher than the national average.

Extrapolating Kleck-Gertz survey results to the Phoenix area would predict 98 defensive killings or injuries and 236 defensive firings during the study period. Instead, the study found a total of 3 defensive gun uses where the gun was fired, including one instance in which a feud between two families exploded into a brawl and several of the participants began firing. These results were much more in line with (but still substantially less than) extrapolated NCVS data, which predicted 8 defensive killings or injuries and 19 firings over the same time frame.

Thanks, but I already understand quite well how you leftists manufacture lies. I don't need you to demonstrate.
Wow, I have really gotten into your head, you've wuoted and denied every single post I've made in this thread.

I just heard, "Omigod, someone's PAYING ATTENTION TO ME! I must be important after all!" Was that what you were going for?
Still totally unable to address the subject I see.

I don't see that as "defensive gun use".

I suspect that it goes something like this:

Rwnj sees scary looking guy walking down the street.

Walks past scary guy without making eye contact.

Thinks "good thing I had my pistol on me, no telling what might have happened".

Viola! Defensive gun use number one for the day!

Viola? What the hell do musical instruments have to do with anything?
I don't see that as "defensive gun use".

I suspect that it goes something like this:

Rwnj sees scary looking guy walking down the street.

Walks past scary guy without making eye contact.

Thinks "good thing I had my pistol on me, no telling what might have happened".

Viola! Defensive gun use number one for the day!

Viola? What the hell do musical instruments have to do with anything?
Autocorrect switched the o and the I for me. Should have read "voila".

Should have learned to communicate in English well enough not to need auto-correct.
Ya know what? I've determined that you don't really care about the issue at all. All you wanna do is argue and try to feel good about yourself.

I'm thinking when you wanna address the issue you can come look.me up. Until then, fook off.

Ya know what? No one asked you to "determine" anything.

I'm thinking you're running away like a bitch, while trying to look cool and save face. Like all your gambits, this one was old and tired and rejected around here before your noob ass ever showed up.

Run along now. Your surrender is recognized for what it really is, and you are dismissed.
And I'm thinking that, male or female, you are a dumbass.

Would you like to address the topic now?

2aguy is pulling stuff out of his ass.

There are no document 6500 gun defenses a day.

Hmmm. . . are they averaging bad guys' defending themselves maybe.

Wow....you are parroting brains talking point....you really are a stupid moron.....

Thus, although survey-reported defensive gun uses themselves rarely involve criminal behavior (that is, the defender did not use the gun to commit a criminal assault or other offense), most (at least back in 1993) involved unlawful possession of a gun in a public place by the defender

A quick guide to the studies and the numbers.....the full lay out of what was studied by each study is in the links....

The name of the group doing the study, the year of the study, the number of defensive gun uses and if police and military defensive gun uses are included.....notice the bill clinton and obama defensive gun use research is highlighted.....

GunCite-Gun Control-How Often Are Guns Used in Self-Defense

GunCite Frequency of Defensive Gun Use in Previous Surveys

Field...1976....3,052,717 ( no cops, no military)

DMIa 1978...2,141,512 ( no cops, no military)

L.A. TIMES...1994...3,609,68 ( no cops, no military)

Kleck......1994...2.5 million ( no cops, no military)

CDC...1996-1998... 2.46 million each of those years.( no cops, no military)

Obama's CDC....2013....500,000--3million

--------------------

Bordua...1977...1,414,544

DMIb...1978...1,098,409 ( no cops, no military)

Hart...1981...1.797,461 ( no cops, no military)

Mauser...1990...1,487,342 ( no cops,no military)

Gallup...1993...1,621,377 ( no cops, no military)

DEPT. OF JUSTICE...1994...1.5 million ( the bill clinton study)

Journal of Quantitative Criminology--- 989,883 times per year."

(Based on survey data from a 2000 study published in the Journal of Quantitative Criminology,[17] U.S. civilians use guns to defend themselves and others from crime at least 989,883 times per year.[18])

Paper: "Measuring Civilian Defensive Firearm Use: A Methodological Experiment." By David McDowall and others. Journal of Quantitative Criminology, March 2000. Measuring Civilian Defensive Firearm Use: A Methodological Experiment - Springer

-------------------------------------------

Ohio...1982...771,043

Gallup...1991...777,152

Tarrance... 1994... 764,036 (no cops, no military)

Lawerence Southwich Jr. 400,000 fewer violent crimes and at least 800,000 violent crimes deterred..

If you take the studies from that Kleck cites in his paper, 16 of them....and you only average the ones that exclude military and police shootings..the average becomes 2 million...I use those studies because I have the details on them...and they are still 10 studies (including Kleck's)....
Is this the new conservitard technique? Post the same debunked lies over and over hoping people will believe them this time?

And again, the anti gunner has to lie...because the truth, the facts and the reality do not support his beliefs about guns...

CDC, in Surveys It Never Bothered Making Public, Provides More Evidence That Plenty of Americans Innocently Defend Themselves with Guns

Kleck was impressed with how well the survey worded its question: "During the last 12 months, have you confronted another person with a firearm, even if you did not fire it, to protect yourself, your property, or someone else?"

Respondents were told to leave out incidents from occupations, like policing, where using firearms is part of the job.

Kleck is impressed with how the question excludes animals but includes DGUs outside the home as well as within it.

Kleck's "study" found more than 3 million incidents of DGU per year, which is 3 times more than the number of violent crimes committed per year.
If a crime is prevented by use of a gun then a crime never happened to be reported

Not really true as attempting a crime is still a crime. If I attempt to rob a bank and fail, then I still committed a crime.

Yeah....you don't understand..... if someone sticks a gun in your face and you use yours to run him off, it doesn't get reported as a robbery..... if at all....or you drive someone out of your home with your gun... not a robbery... because you stopped it.

2aguy is pulling stuff out of his ass.

There are no document 6500 gun defenses a day.

Hmmm. . . are they averaging bad guys' defending themselves maybe.

Wow....you are parroting brains talking point....you really are a stupid moron.....

Thus, although survey-reported defensive gun uses themselves rarely involve criminal behavior (that is, the defender did not use the gun to commit a criminal assault or other offense), most (at least back in 1993) involved unlawful possession of a gun in a public place by the defender

A quick guide to the studies and the numbers.....the full lay out of what was studied by each study is in the links....

The name of the group doing the study, the year of the study, the number of defensive gun uses and if police and military defensive gun uses are included.....notice the bill clinton and obama defensive gun use research is highlighted.....

--------------------

(Based on survey data from a 2000 study published in the Journal of Quantitative Criminology,[17] U.S. civilians use guns to defend themselves and others from crime at least 989,883 times per year.[18])

Paper: "Measuring Civilian Defensive Firearm Use: A Methodological Experiment." By David McDowall and others. Journal of Quantitative Criminology, March 2000. Measuring Civilian Defensive Firearm Use: A Methodological Experiment - Springer

Ohio...1982...771,043

Gallup...1991...777,152

Lawerence Southwich Jr. 400,000 fewer violent crimes and at least 800,000 violent crimes deterred..

If you take the studies from that Kleck cites in his paper, 16 of them....and you only average the ones that exclude military and police shootings..the average becomes 2 million...I use those studies because I have the details on them...and they are still 10 studies (including Kleck's)....
Is this the new conservitard technique? Post the same debunked lies over and over hoping people will believe them this time?

Ass hats liky you think that by saying " I Debunk thee," that that actually works...in the old days, ass hats like you could claim anything you wanted and the only response would be to go to the Library and look up the research, if you could find it at all....

Now...moron.......we have access to the research the actual data and we can show that you lie....immediately....so you can say Kleck is debunked all day long, and in the old days the democrats in the media would spread that lie....but the internet makes exposes your lie..... and the truth gets out ...

Now the truth....42 years of research, by both government and private research groups all studying defensive gun use and coming up with actual data.......you can't lie about it, because people can now see it for themselves..

--------------------

Ohio...1982...771,043

Gallup...1991...777,152

Your numbers are meaningless no matter how many times you post them, 2aguy.

You can't show that guns were pulled in defense 6675 times a day.

You can't show that those guns that were pulled were not by criminals trying to protect their stash.

Yeah....you don't understand..... if someone sticks a gun in your face and you use yours to run him off, it doesn't get reported as a robbery..... if at all....or you drive someone out of your home with your gun... not a robbery... because you stopped it.
People are arrested for attempted robbery all the time dumb ass. Lawful people report these things when they happen. It's the gang members and unlawful who don't report attempted crimes...

You can't show that those guns that were pulled were not by criminals trying to protect their stash.
He chooses to live in fantasy...

People are arrested for attempted robbery all the time dumb ass. Lawful people report these things when they happen. It's the gang members and unlawful who don't report attempted crimes...

No...shitstain.....if they don't catch the robber it doesn't get fucking reported as a robbery, you asswipe....

No...shitstain.....if they don't catch the robber it doesn't get fucking reported as a robbery, you asswipe....

Correct, it gets reported as an attempted robbery, which is still a fucking crime you fucking moron.

It is amazing how the oxygen deprivation of having your head up Trump's ass makes you so fucking stupid.

They aren't my numbers dumb ass...42 years of actual research by trained professional researchers, most of them anti gun researchers like Gary Kleck, and the guys who did the Department of Justice research and the CDC research to prove Kleck wrong....and they failed....and those are just three of the close to 16 studies on defensive gun use....

You guys can lie all you want, you can't hide the truth anymore..... it is getting out... more women and minorities know that knowing how to use a gun and carrying a gun is the best self defense they can have....

And parroting the troll called brain does you no credit.....

The research....

--------------------

Ohio...1982...771,043

Gallup...1991...777,152

Correct, it gets reported as an attempted robbery, which is still a fucking crime you fucking moron.

It is amazing how the oxygen deprivation of having your head up Trump's ass makes you so fucking stupid.

You morons....... you lie about reality, and you are useful idiots for the gun grabbers.....

They aren't my numbers dumb ass...42 years of actual research by trained professional researchers, most of them anti gun researchers like Gary Kleck, and the guys who did the Department of Justice research and the CDC research to prove Kleck wrong....and they failed....and those are just three of the close to 16 studies on defensive gun use....

You guys can lie all you want, you can't hide the truth anymore..... it is getting out... more women and minorities know that knowing how to use a gun and carrying a gun is the best self defense they can have....

The research....

--------------------

Ohio...1982...771,043

Gallup...1991...777,152

Lots of poorly done surveys, not real defenses....

And more truth....

We went from 200 million guns in private hands in the 1990s and 4.7 million people carrying guns for self defense in 1997...to close to 400-600 million guns in private hands and over 17 million people carrying guns for self defense in 2017...guess what happened...

--------
-- gun murder down 49%

--gun crime down 75%

--violent crime down 72%

Gun Homicide Rate Down 49% Since 1993 Peak; Public Unaware

Compared with 1993, the peak of U.S. gun homicides, the firearm homicide rate was 49% lower in 2010, and there were fewer deaths, even though the nation’s population grew. The victimization rate for other violent crimes with a firearm—assaults, robberies and sex crimes—was 75% lower in 2011 than in 1993. Violent non-fatal crime victimization overall (with or without a firearm) also is down markedly (72%) over two decades.

You morons....... you lie about reality, and you are useful idiots for the gun grabbers.....
Says the guy constantly lying...

The research....

--------------------

Ohio...1982...771,043

Gallup...1991...777,152

Lots of poorly done surveys, not real defenses....

Poorly done.......you are a troll....

--------------------

Ohio...1982...771,043

Gallup...1991...777,152

And more truth....

We went from 200 million guns in private hands in the 1990s and 4.7 million people carrying guns for self defense in 1997...to close to 400-600 million guns in private hands and over 17 million people carrying guns for self defense in 2017...guess what happened...

--------
-- gun murder down 49%

--gun crime down 75%

--violent crime down 72%

Gun Homicide Rate Down 49% Since 1993 Peak; Public Unaware

Compared with 1993, the peak of U.S. gun homicides, the firearm homicide rate was 49% lower in 2010, and there were fewer deaths, even though the nation’s population grew. The victimization rate for other violent crimes with a firearm—assaults, robberies and sex crimes—was 75% lower in 2011 than in 1993. Violent non-fatal crime victimization overall (with or without a firearm) also is down markedly (72%) over two decades.
Yes crime started going down right after we got background checks(gun control).

Forum List

Back