Three kids die in makeshift heater explosion after landlord shuts off heat during pol

So tragic. I wish the articles were more clear. I know electric companies will not shut off power during severe weather, but dont know if they were informed or required to install new service. It appears there was already a court date set from events in may? Or was that an emergency hearing? The article makes it seem the LL cut off power, but not sure what that means ... flipped the breaker? Would the electric company bear any responsibility? Was there an eviction in progress? As a landlord, I require my tenant to keep electric on and dont have the ability to shut off their power. When I was in WA, LLs are required to maintain electric if the tenant does not, so disconnect notices go to both the LL and the tenant.

Either way, from info given, the LL (or at least their property mgmt co) was well aware that tenants were there without power during severe weather, are uncooperative with authorities, and have at least 2 subpar (slum, I am assuming) units. Time to set the bar IMO on this LL.

from the article it says the power was cut off in the spring

maybe the tenants hot wired the service

or

it also said they had a generator

maybe they had been back feeding electricity

certainly not seeing the whole story

Last edited:
some states you cant out here it can be cut off

Whoa for true?

Now I am not excusing anyone here but geeze louise you can't cut off a heat source. I've just been in minus 50 for a month.

out here = South Dakota

it is up the the Utility company

most have a policy that they would rather not cut off service

and try to make arraignment

also they will not cut off folks with certain medical conditions

For true?

I'm north of you and colder :lol:We are talking a new brand of frigid baby. But seriously are they allowed to cut off service in the dead of winter?

Capitalism for you. landlord more interested in profits than poor kids and their families...fucking assholes. They should be charged with murder.

Yea, if every landlord would just pay for everyone's bills, the world would be a better place. Why even pay rent? Just let rich landlords provide for everyone! :cuckoo:

Whoa for true?

Now I am not excusing anyone here but geeze louise you can't cut off a heat source. I've just been in minus 50 for a month.

out here = South Dakota

it is up the the Utility company

most have a policy that they would rather not cut off service

and try to make arraignment

also they will not cut off folks with certain medical conditions

For true?

I'm north of you and colder :lol:We are talking a new brand of frigid baby. But seriously are they allowed to cut off service in the dead of winter?

yup

Capitalism for you. landlord more interested in profits than poor kids and their families...fucking assholes. They should be charged with murder.

Yea, if every landlord would just pay for everyone's bills, the world would be a better place. Why even pay rent? Just let rich landlords provide for everyone! :cuckoo:

because if we did that

there would be a lot more houses like the one

in the article

So tragic. I wish the articles were more clear. I know electric companies will not shut off power during severe weather, but dont know if they were informed or required to install new service. It appears there was already a court date set from events in may? Or was that an emergency hearing? The article makes it seem the LL cut off power, but not sure what that means ... flipped the breaker? Would the electric company bear any responsibility? Was there an eviction in progress? As a landlord, I require my tenant to keep electric on and dont have the ability to shut off their power. When I was in WA, LLs are required to maintain electric if the tenant does not, so disconnect notices go to both the LL and the tenant.

Either way, from info given, the LL (or at least their property mgmt co) was well aware that tenants were there without power during severe weather, are uncooperative with authorities, and have at least 2 subpar (slum, I am assuming) units. Time to set the bar IMO on this LL.

okey dokey new deal

I'm a Conservative. And a Capitalist. And a landlord. I own a 100+ year-old commercial building in a small town located on the National Road (look that up). I have two tenants: a non-profit retailer and a young gal with a newly acquired cosmetology license. I charge them half the going rent. Why? It's more important to me that the community have thriving job-creating retail activity than for me to realize profit. Over the past 15 years I have broken even on this investment, but the community has reaped dividends.

And that, to me, is a victory.

His tenants agreed to pay utilities. They didn't. If you stopped paying your obligations, would you expect the landlord to let you stay on out of the goodness of his heart?

Oh wait! You don't pay your rent and proudly stated that, didn't you?

Never mind.

I honestly thought you were not allowed to cut off heat. No matter what.

You can't, in the winter. Funny thing, since it happened months ago, it wasn't the winter.

Three kids die in makeshift heater explosion after landlord shuts off heat during polar vortex

Three young children died in a fire as a result of a landlord shutting off the electric and gas service to a house in Hammond, Indiana.

Last week, Andre Young and his family were struggling to keep warm during what meteorologists called “the polar vortex.” According to a neighbor, conditions in the Young house had been “dire” for months, but as the temperature dropped, the family had no choice but to resort to extreme measures.

According to authorities, the fire was caused by a space heater connected to a propane tank.

City records indicate that Real Estate Equity Solutions of Indiana, LLC had turned off electric and gas service to the property months ago, and had been fined $2,600 for doing so. The company was also being investigated for refusing to allow inspectors on to the property.

“We were a week away from getting an order from the court so we could go in,” City Attorney Kristina Kantar told The Chicago Tribune. “Obviously, if our inspectors found people living there without water or power or heat, we would not let them stay there.”

So sad.

the blame falls on the father. Tragic as it is.... it is all on the person who put in the space heater.

Last edited:
Anyone who would turn off the heat with a family inside in that kind of cold needs to go to prison. Three minutes in it and exposed skin can become frostbitten. I'm sorry but the father was trying to keep them alive. He was obviously desperate.

I hear stories like this and my blood runs cold. I realize the utilities and landlords are businesses but at some point, the human factor has to enter in.

City Attorney Kristina Kantar told The Chicago Tribune. “Obviously, if our inspectors found people living there without water or power or heat, we would not let them stay there.”

Government will decide what is best for you.

If utilities could not be cut off no one would ever pay a utility bill. Maybe that will be the next government takeover. Free utilities paid for by raising taxes.

Sorry but this is the fault of the adults in the family. The utilities had been cut off for months. It's not like it came as a surprise.

City Attorney Kristina Kantar told The Chicago Tribune. “Obviously, if our inspectors found people living there without water or power or heat, we would not let them stay there.”

The parents could have made better decisions for sure. They had women's shelters setup here during the polar vortex and I am sure they were getting others off the streets somehow.

If I were in those impossible circumstances, I'd give my kids up before I let them freeze to death.

Just make it indefinite for everyone. Turn on the lights, quit paying the bill, and keep the power on because we can't turn the utilities off during the winter when it's cold or in the summer when it's hot or when there is this exception and that exception.

The parents could have made better decisions for sure. They had women's shelters setup here during the polar vortex and I am sure they were getting others off the streets somehow.

If I were in those impossible circumstances, I'd give my kids up before I let them freeze to death.

exactly, the parents had many many choices here. They chose to make a makeshift heater....

Just make it indefinite for everyone. Turn on the lights, quit paying the bill, and keep the power on because we can't turn the utilities off during the winter when it's cold or in the summer when it's hot or when there is this exception and that exception.

You know you're right. There should be a base amount of all utilities that are free. Just enough to keep families from freezing to death, to have water to drink and just a little bit of light. You know, the bare minimum, just to keep them alive.

Forum List

Back