Zone1 Three Temptations

My Mom was raised in a Catholic-Atheist home. My dad's parents followed no religion, but after their children were grown, became Calvinists. My dad became a Catholic convert, and my mom chose Catholicism over atheism. I grew up in a Catholic home, remained Catholic (along with one of my seven siblings). The other six did not. I married an atheist, my Catholic brother married a Catholic.

It could be argued that I was more "religious" than my parents even though they were both faithful. They considered my childhood pursuit of God, "cute". Experiencing God was something that happened in the Old Testament, not in modern life.
Thank you. I suspected right, that there was a heavy influence of religion on you during your childhood. Were you the youngest or next to the youngest?

hole lee phuc.jpg

If your terse one word answer is an indication that you would prefer to end our discussion, then let me know.
:badgrin: It meant something was boiling over on the stove, and I had to leave in a rush. What more did you wish to know? If it was the birth order of the two of us who remained Catholic, I was 2 of 8; and my brother was 6 of 8.

:badgrin: It meant something was boiling over on the stove, and I had to leave in a rush. What more did you wish to know? If it was the birth order of the two of us who remained Catholic, I was 2 of 8; and my brother was 6 of 8.
Thank you for your answers. I'll accept with some caution, your two answers on the pot and the ages.

Not reject, but accept.

Could you possibly attend to pressing matters first from now on, instead of giving me a false impression? I'm not going anywhere if you're not deciding to end our discussion.

How are you defining 'brainwash'? What are the examples that all agree are actual brainwashing?

For example, we actively encourage both our daughters to go to college. One did, one didn't. Was the one who went to college brainwashed?

Big difference. College exists. You taught them to believe college is real and good. That's true. But you also brainwashed them into believing the unbelievable. Because your parents brianwashed you, and so on and so on.

You are free to brainwash your kids however you want. I don't think it's good for them but that's your choice. Just like you approve of us teaching our kids god is made up.

Thank you for your answers. I'll accept with some caution, your two answers on the pot and the ages.

Not reject, but accept.

Could you possibly attend to pressing matters first from now on, instead of giving me a false impression? I'm not going anywhere if you're not deciding to end our discussion.
You crack me up. I sleep like a baby at night knowing your normalization of deviance will eventually lead to many predictable surprises in your life.

Big difference. College exists. You taught them to believe college is real and good. That's true. But you also brainwashed them into believing the unbelievable. Because your parents brianwashed you, and so on and so on.

You are free to brainwash your kids however you want. I don't think it's good for them but that's your choice. Just like you approve of us teaching our kids god is made up.
That's how you have to see it to validate your beliefs. Otherwise, your beliefs make no sense to you.

Not when it comes to cocoa! Come to think of it, you asked a yes or no question, and I answered it with the proper response. If you wanted to know birth order, why not ask that to begin with? Then I would have rescued the cocoa before I responded. As it was, I gave you the first priority.

Keep in mind, the forum is my "off time" or maybe more accurately, my "in between time." I tend to cook (yesterday it was bread), straighten drawers and bookshelves, read, research, and (my favorite) play with chinchillas between browsing the forum. I am the proverbial multi-tasker. That is, if the multi-tasker was ever a proverb.

Not when it comes to cocoa! Come to think of it, you asked a yes or no question, and I answered it with the proper response. If you wanted to know birth order, why not ask that to begin with? Then I would have rescued the cocoa before I responded. As it was, I gave you the first priority.
I only wanted to know where you fit in, but was pleased, as opposed to surprised that you included one of your brothers as a 'contrast'.
Keep in mind, the forum is my "off time" or maybe more accurately, my "in between time." I tend to cook (yesterday it was bread), straighten drawers and bookshelves, read, research, and (my favorite) play with chinchillas between browsing the forum. I am the proverbial multi-tasker. That is, if the multi-tasker was ever a proverb.
It's entirely up to you my friend, on how you spend your off-time.
Would you like to know how I spend my time? I don't think it can hurt if we become more familiar with each other.

I only wanted to know where you fit in, but was pleased, as opposed to surprised that you included one of your brothers as a 'contrast'.
Maybe you should learn to ask open ended questions then.

My daughters are aware of my experiences of God, so they were taught the believable. My oldest is in the military and the services she attends are more non-denominational. My youngest said she wanted what I had, but couldn't seem to get it from Catholicism and after trying other denominations asked me if I had any ideas. I recommended Judaism, and that is where she connected.

By the way, my parents (and my siblings) would be doubled over laughing at the thought I could be brainwashed over anything. Not that I tried, but my girls can't be brainwashed either--and my husband definitely tried to convince them (and me) of atheism.

What makes you so adamant that people of faith have been brainwashed? Plato had a philosophy that happiness is the highest aim of moral thought and conduct. Would you agree that anyone accepting this philosophy has been brainwashed, or are the brainwashed only those with religious philosophies?

My daughters are aware of my experiences of God, so they were taught the believable. My oldest is in the military and the services she attends are more non-denominational. My youngest said she wanted what I had, but couldn't seem to get it from Catholicism and after trying other denominations asked me if I had any ideas. I recommended Judaism, and that is where she connected.

By the way, my parents (and my siblings) would be doubled over laughing at the thought I could be brainwashed over anything. Not that I tried, but my girls can't be brainwashed either--and my husband definitely tried to convince them (and me) of atheism.

What makes you so adamant that people of faith have been brainwashed? Plato had a philosophy that happiness is the highest aim of moral thought and conduct. Would you agree that anyone accepting this philosophy has been brainwashed, or are the brainwashed only those with religious philosophies?

If no one ever pointed you in the direction of religions, who knows how you would have turned out. You landed on one and said this is the best, for me, and let everyone do whatever they want. I dig that. I'm cool with that. May not agree but I don't want to kill you over it. LOL

Maybe you should learn to ask open ended questions then.
My questions are designed to get the results I'm looking for. So even though you didn't say 'which' brother, your intent on mentioning him became obvious to me. One brother was widely separated from you on ages of the whole. I took it as a reference to the brother who stayed a Catholic, for some reason?

I think the Cocoa on the stove disrupted our conversation. Whatever?

My questions are designed to get the results I'm looking for. So even though you didn't say 'which' brother, your intent on mentioning him became obvious to me. One brother was widely separated from you on ages of the whole. I took it as a reference to the brother who stayed a Catholic, for some reason?

I think the Cocoa on the stove disrupted our conversation. Whatever?
If that were the case you wouldn't have reacted the way you did when she answered "no" to your yes or no question.

You more than anyone else on this board have an overinflated opinion of your abilities. You list your age as 66 but we both know that's not true. You only did that after I question why you weren't working.

If no one ever pointed you in the direction of religions, who knows how you would have turned out. You landed on one and said this is the best, for me, and let everyone do whatever they want. I dig that. I'm cool with that. May not agree but I don't want to kill you over it. LOL
You just want to make religion illegal.

Of course.
Well, I just finished shoveling 120 feet of driveway snow! And after lunch I've got this 1910 Singer treadle sewing machine that I'm restoring. Then I have a hobby of bamboo flyrod building, then a flyfishing club.
Is any of that of interest to you?

Well, I just finished shoveling 120 feet of driveway snow! And after lunch I've got this 1910 Singer treadle sewing machine that I'm restoring. Then I have a hobby of bamboo flyrod building, then a flyfishing club.
Is any of that of interest to you?
As a matter of fact, yes. My sister restored an old Singer treadle sewing machine and I have a brother who was excellent at tying flies.

Forum List

Back