Time Travels At The Speed Of Light

The reason for the difference was the plane ride. Time curves. At 30,000 feet, where you are located on the time curve and experiencing the "time", is different from waiting to experience time way down at sea level. And the clock on the plane was experiencing time more quickly. Quicker and higher.

So, where do you think that paper may be???? :badgrin:

The theory at the time was not related to altitude, rather to one clock being stationary and the other in motion. At that time altitudes were more like 12,000 -15,000 feet, not 30,000 but speed was also more like 250 MPH rather than 600.

If I were going to look for the paper or article I think I might try to get access to material that may be on file at what used to be called "IEEE" or the archives of The Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers. (SMPTE).

The reason for the difference was the plane ride. Time curves. At 30,000 feet, where you are located on the time curve and experiencing the "time", is different from waiting to experience time way down at sea level. And the clock on the plane was experiencing time more quickly. Quicker and higher.

So, where do you think that paper may be???? :badgrin:

The theory at the time was not related to altitude, rather to one clock being stationary and the other in motion. At that time altitudes were more like 12,000 -15,000 feet, not 30,000 but speed was also more like 250 MPH rather than 600.

If I were going to look for the paper or article I think I might try to get access to material that may be on file at what used to be called "IEEE" or the archives of The Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers. (SMPTE).

gravitational time dilation

the actual difference of elapsed time between two events

differently situated from gravitational masses

altitude insofar as distance from a mass

without this realization

GPS never would have been possible

Gravity is a physical law. Time is a spacial law.

To The Irish Ram: I think you’re confusing time with the accepted physical THEORY STR, the relationship between space and time.

Einstein hated it but couldn't live without it.

To The Irish Ram: So he played fast and loose with the speed of light. My main problem with his theory is the aging process.

If nothing ages at the speed of light it follows that any movement slowing down the aging process depends upon the speed one can attain. Basically, when a pilot returns to Earth after flying faster than the speed of sound for one hour he should be a fraction of a second younger than everybody else. Anybody who can find a way to measure the aging process at speeds less than the speed of light will prove Einstein’s Theory of Relativity. The only other way to prove his theory is for man to travel at the speed of light.

But, we need to discuss what I see is a flaw in your hypothesis.
It is your contention that God created man. Man invented time. Excuse the pun but your timing is all wrong.

To The Irish Ram: I should have said: Man invented time. God created man; ergo, God created time. In any event I was playing off of Thomas Aquinas:

If you believe that God created man, then you also have to believe that time existed before man.
God regulates time right off the bat, and tells us how to define it:

Genesis 1:5 And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.

To The Irish Ram: I never discuss the Bible. Occasionally I cite a well-known line or two from the Bible, but I never engage in discussions about the Bible or what is in it.

Incidentally, we had a bit of a discussion about God and organized religion in this thread:

Man didn't show up until five more units of time had passed.

To The Irish Ram: How do you know that?

Turns out God created both

To The Irish Ram: There’s Thomas Aquinas again!

Gravity is a physical law. Time is a spacial law.

To The Irish Ram: I think you’re confusing time with the accepted physical THEORY STR, the relationship between space and time.

Einstein hated it but couldn't live without it.

To The Irish Ram: So he played fast and loose with the speed of light. My main problem with his theory is the aging process.

If nothing ages at the speed of light it follows that any movement slowing down the aging process depends upon the speed one can attain. Basically, when a pilot returns to Earth after flying faster than the speed of sound for one hour he should be a fraction of a second younger than everybody else. Anybody who can find a way to measure the aging process at speeds less than the speed of light will prove Einstein’s Theory of Relativity. The only other way to prove his theory is for man to travel at the speed of light.

To The Irish Ram: I should have said: Man invented time. God created man; ergo, God created time. In any event I was playing off of Thomas Aquinas:

To The Irish Ram: I never discuss the Bible. Occasionally I cite a well-known line or two from the Bible, but I never engage in discussions about the Bible or what is in it.

Incidentally, we had a bit of a discussion about God and organized religion in this thread:

Man didn't show up until five more units of time had passed.

To The Irish Ram: How do you know that?

Turns out God created both

To The Irish Ram: There’s Thomas Aquinas again!

Anybody who can find a way to measure the aging process at speeds less than the speed of light will prove Einstein’s Theory of Relativity

it has been demonstrated over and over again

that the clocks aboard the shuttle run slightly slower

then clocks on earth

Anybody who can find a way to measure the aging process at speeds less than the speed of light will prove Einstein’s Theory of Relativity

To jon_berzerk: Demonstrating a theory does not prove it. If it did why is Einstein’s Theory still a theory? Note these words in the following definitions: Assumption, abstract, speculation, belief, comprehension, judgement, limited, conjecture.

theory (noun)
plural theories

1.a. Systematically organized knowledge applicable in a relatively wide variety of circumstances, especially a system of assumptions, accepted principles, and rules of procedure devised to analyze, predict, or otherwise explain the nature or behavior of a specified set of phenomena. b. Such knowledge or such a system.

2. Abstract reasoning; speculation.

3. A belief that guides action or assists comprehension or judgment: rose early, on the theory that morning efforts are best; the modern architectural theory that less is more.

4. An assumption based on limited information or knowledge; a conjecture.

To jon_berzerk: Demonstrating a theory does not prove it. If it did why is Einstein’s Theory still a theory? Note these words in the following definitions: Assumption, abstract, speculation, belief, comprehension, judgement, limited, conjecture.

theory (noun)
plural theories

1.a. Systematically organized knowledge applicable in a relatively wide variety of circumstances, especially a system of assumptions, accepted principles, and rules of procedure devised to analyze, predict, or otherwise explain the nature or behavior of a specified set of phenomena. b. Such knowledge or such a system.

2. Abstract reasoning; speculation.

3. A belief that guides action or assists comprehension or judgment: rose early, on the theory that morning efforts are best; the modern architectural theory that less is more.

4. An assumption based on limited information or knowledge; a conjecture.

of course it is a theory until it is proven false

and as for the theory without it

GPS would be impossible

the satellite clocks run 38 microseconds per day faster

then earth clocks from our perspective

that is why it is relative

Forum List

Back