Tiny Houses...the ultimate insanity?

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
One of the trends of millennials is minimalism; rejecting the materialism and excesses of my generation.
But Tiny Houses?
How is it not the ultimate insanity to pay up to $160 per sq ft. of living space? You have insane people paying as much as $100,000 when all done...for a "home" and small land parcel that doesn't have a toilet that flushes.
How does this make sense?

One of the trends of millennials is minimalism; rejecting the materialism and excesses of my generation.
But Tiny Houses?
How is it not the ultimate insanity to pay up to $160 per sq ft. of living space? You have insane people paying as much as $100,000 when all done...for a "home" and small land parcel that doesn't have a toilet that flushes.

sounds like a cash cow to me

It's like going back to live in glorified cardboard box.

it used to be you strived to get a bigger house in your life.

now it's why own anything but a glorified box worth, nothing.

It's like going back to live in glorified cardboard box.

it used to be you strived to get a bigger house in your life.

now it's why own anything but a glorified box worth, nothing.

but the question remains for the leftards

is it really better then mommies basement

--LOL

Some people like to live on boats, some people like RV's and some people enjoy boat/RV sized houses. In the greatest Country in the world the choice (so far) is yours.

But Tiny Houses?

You ask.....???? Haven't you gotten the memo by now, this country is bat shit fuckin insane in the membrane.

Some people like to live on boats, some people like RV's and some people enjoy boat/RV sized houses. In the greatest Country in the world the choice (so far) is yours.

I'll see if I can dig up what I was reading. but it suggested Obambam's goones from Hud or one of those Wonderful Guberment agencies was going to make living in an RV. illegal. according to them, they are suppose to only be used for traveling. so these tiny homes with wheels will eventually be out lawed by our MASTERS WHO make our rules that we have to abide

But Tiny Houses?
That would be great for my neighbor - he hasn´t heard of toilets so far. Unfortunately, he lacks of money the same way he is superabound with excrements.

But Tiny Houses?

You ask.....???? Haven't you gotten the memo by now, this country is bat shit fuckin insane in the membrane.

The entire world and not just this country...

On the mobile Tiny homes....smaller electric bill, smaller heating bill, more of your property/lot can be used for gardening, you can pick up and move to where ever there is more job opportunity without having to sell your house....

For young people just starting out in the 'working arena', it's a good option...at least the tiny homes that you can haul... a really really nice tiny home on wheels could be 50k, but in just 2 years, what they would have paid in renting would cover it in lots of career/job rich areas.

I could never do it, because we have too much stuff, plus I run a small business out of my home, and that takes up a lot of room...we downsized 400 sq feet when we moved here to Maine and I stopped working outside of home, and we are still struggling on getting used to the 400 sq ft of less space....and I have gotten rid of at least 10 tons of stuff, still not enough...

But if you are young, and just starting out, and are used to living in a dorm room, then I can see the benefits.

I'll see if I can dig up what I was reading. but it suggested Obambam's goones from Hud or one of those Wonderful Guberment agencies was going to make living in an RV. illegal. according to them, they are suppose to only be used for traveling. so these tiny homes with wheels will eventually be out lawed by our MASTERS WHO make our rules that we have to abide

HUD Wants to Make Living in a Tiny House or RV Illegal

The tiny house movement has taken America by storm, in part because our economy is in the toilet. People are striving to reduce theirexpenses by embracing minimalism. They’re breaking free from the corporate grind because, as I’ve always advised, they are learning to live with less and radically reducing their expenses.

But, these days in America, you are sharply admonished when you try to live your life outside of the strictures of the 9-5 world. Is it any surprise that the government is now takingsteps to limit our ability to drastically reduce our expenses? They always seem to make illegal anything we try to do to be more independentand moving into a tiny house appears to be the next on their list.

HUD has proposed the following law:

This proposed rule would modify the current exemption for recreational vehicles in the Manufactured HomeProcedural and Enforcement Regulations. Under the current exemption, questions have arisen regarding whether park modelrecreational vehicles are regulated by HUD’s manufactured home program. These park models are being produced with patio roofs, screened in porches, and other extensions that exceed the 400 square foot maximum exemption in the current regulations. Additionally, some of these models are being marketed as suitable for year round living. HUD’s proposed rule would permit recreational vehicle manufactures to certify that a unit is exempted from HUD’s regulations. Specifically, HUD’s proposed rule would define a recreational vehicle as a factory build vehicular structure, not certified as a manufactured home, designed only for recreational use and not as a primary residence or for permanent occupancy, and built and certified in accordance with either the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 1192-2015, Standard for Recreational Vehicles, or the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) A119.5-15, Recreational Park Trailer Standard. In addition, to provide consumers notice regarding the manufacturing standards used to construct the unit, HUD’s rule would require that units claiming the exemption display a notice that identifies the standards used to construct the unit and states that the unit is designed only for recreational use, and not as a primary residence or permanent dwelling.

You're telling me...On the show "Tiny House Hunters"...this couple is looking for a Tiny House...they go to a "builder"....who openly says he builds the home from a kit and can finish in a weekend. It is JUST A SHELL. No electrical/plumbing/insulation/interior walls - literally a shell.
The cost?? - $40,000!!!!!
The cost of the kits online?...between $6000 - $10000!!!!
This guy stands to make up to $34,000 a weekend to assemble a kit!!!

Where do I find people this gullible???

You're telling me...On the show "Tiny House Hunters"...this couple is looking for a Tiny House...they go to a "builder"....who openly says he builds the home from a kit and can finish in a weekend. It is JUST A SHELL. No electrical/plumbing/insulation/interior walls - literally a shell.

I don't know if that representative of the tiny homes. 6k doesn't sound too outrageous for a complete shell, although I'm sure it can be found cheaper. The builder sounds crazy but if he can rake in 40k for it who am I to judge? I see this as a fad and people will quickly tire of it. I do think it's a backlash to all the stupid big homes being built right next to each other with no yard. Extremists on both ends!

ran across this researching the HUD thing on Rvs and tiny homes

snip:

“HUD’s proposed rule would define a recreational vehicle as a factory build vehicular structure, not certified as a manufactured home, designed only for recreational use and not as a primary residence or for permanent occupancy,”.

Here’s the full text from their site:

FR–5877–P–01 Manufactured Home Procedural and Enforcement Regulations; Revision of Exemption for Recreational Vehicles
Docket ID: HUD-2016-0013
Agency: Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)

Summary:

“This proposed rule would modify the current exemption for recreational vehicles in the Manufactured Home Procedural and Enforcement Regulations. Under the current exemption, questions have arisen regarding whether park model recreational vehicles are regulated by HUD’s manufactured home program. These park models are being produced with patio roofs, screened in porches, and other extensions that exceed the 400 square foot maximum exemption in the current regulations. Additionally, some of these models are being marketed as suitable for year round living. HUD’s proposed rule would permit recreational vehicle manufactures to certify that a unit is exempted from HUD’s regulations. Specifically, HUD’s proposed rule would define a recreational vehicle as a factory build vehicular structure, not certified as a manufactured home, designed only for recreational use and not as a primary residence or for permanent occupancy, and built and certified in accordance with either the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 1192-2015, Standard for Recreational Vehicles, or the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) A119.5-15, Recreational Park Trailer Standard. In addition, to provide consumers notice regarding the manufacturing standards used to construct the unit, HUD’s rule would require that units claiming the exemption display a notice that identifies the standards used to construct the unit and states that the unit is designed only for recreational use, and not as a primary residence or permanent dwelling.” ~ Regulations.gov

Now… this is not law. Yet.

It’s a proposal for a change in the law and how RV’s and Tiny Houses, Campers, and Travel Trailers are viewed under the law. Namely that they are not designed to be used for permanent dwellings. Also, it mentions RVs which exceed 400 square feet. But that seems less relevant than the legal language “designed only for recreational use, and not as a primary residence or permanent dwelling.” and “…designed only for recreational use and not as a primary residence or for permanent occupancy,…” This is where the rub is. They use the word occupancy and dwelling interchangeably, and it seems, to be making it a point to focus more on the permanency of living in an RV full time.

Hmmm… I know lots of people who would argue against that point.

This of course ignores the fact that there are millions of Americans, an RV enthusiasts all over the world who call their RV or camper trailer home.

This is a gross overreach of power by HUD and should not be allowed, lest this make all retired folks who live in their RVs full time, outlaws. Now if that’s not a pretty picture, here’s where it could get worse.

If you are a single parent, or young parents with children who live in a RV or Tiny House, then technically they could (if they wanted to be complete jerks) take your children from you because if you live in an RV it would –according to this proposed change in the regulation– be illegal to have your kids live there on a permanent basis.

Now, in all fairness. I don’t think that it will ever get to that point, but it could. And, I also don’t think HUD intends to make millions of law abiding citizens instant outlaws by imposing this very short-sighted change. It would have massive unintended consequences.

I have to be fair here. HUD is not proposing that living in an RV is not possible. It’s just that they do not think it’s supposed to be permanent. Honestly, it’s not really up to them, and they need to back off on this one before they step too far on people’s rights.

Millions of us love RVs and tiny houses. Millions of people live in RVs, campers, travel trailers, tiny houses, and other portable housing all over the USA on a permanent basis. For this change to be made would essentially make it illegal to live in your RV or tiny home.

Go to their site: Regulations.gov

Let them know what you think about FN-5877-P-01 and their opinion. Let them know that we will not stand for this kind of intrusion on our lives and lifestyle.

That it’s ok to live in your RV, tiny house, camper trailer, or travel trailer, if you so choose. Let them know how you feel about the whole thing.

DEADLINE APRIL 11th 2016

all of it here:
HUD Wants To Outlaw Living in RVs and Tiny Homes

When you build a regular house the builder puts up the "shell".
The the electrical, heating ect. Is done by one or more subcontractors.
What's your point?

What's your point?

:eusa_eh:
The point?
The point is the comedy of these two people, and all others like them, who after paying someone $30,000 to bolt together some panels and nail shingles on it - they then spend months spending many hours doing work that is 100 times more complicated and labor intensive....so...how did they not have the confidence to assemble a kit - but can do everything else?
It is just simply dumb beyond comprehension that people do this.
But funny

What's your point?
Uhm no. Homes are built by general contractors that sub out almost everything. They may or may not have a crew of their own. Some are just paper contractors. Electical, plumbing, HVAC, requires specialty licensing so those are always subbed out.

Forum List

Back