Tired of not-winning? ... Average Tax Refunds Down 8.4 Percent As Angry Taxpayers Vent On Twitter

The feces has hit the fan at tax refund time as low and middle-class Americans are finding that Trump has his hand in their pocket and has stolen money from their refunds.

The wealthy are still doing just fine. The lies about the Trump tax cuts is now exposed that the low and middle class are financing the tax cuts for the wealthy people and corporations.

Donald Trump won't be able to spin his way out of the tax cut lie.

Average Tax Refunds Down 8.4 Percent As Angry Taxpayers Vent On Twitter | HuffPost

Average Tax Refunds Down 8.4 Percent As Angry Taxpayers Vent On Twitter
Many workers who had always gotten a refund find out they now owe the IRS.
headshot
By Mary Papenfuss

Average tax refunds were down last week 8.4 percent for the first week of the tax season over the same time last year, according to the Internal Revenue Service. Dipping refunds are inflaming a growing army of taxpayers stunned by the consequences of the Trump administration’s tax law — and the effects of the partial government shutdown.

The average refund check paid out so far has been $1,865, down from $2,035 at the same point in 2018, according to IRS data. Low-income taxpayers often file early to pocket the money as soon as possible. Many taxpayers count on the refunds to make important payments, or spend the money on things like home repairs, a vacation or a car.

The IRS had estimated it would issue about 2.3 percent fewer refunds this year as a result of the changes in the federal tax law, according to Bloomberg. MSNBC reports that 30 million Americans will owe the IRS money this year — 3 million more than before Trump’s tax law.

“There are going to be a lot of unhappy people over the next month,” Edward Karl of the American Institute of CPAs told Politico. “Taxpayers want a large refund.” Some 71 percent of taxpayers received refunds last year worth about $3,000 on average, according to Karl.

Scads of taxpayers are complaining on Twitter that they have always received a refund — but now owe the IRS instead. ...

What does this have to do with Trump?

The amount of your refund, is determined by how much you over pay. If you WANT a refund, you just jack up your with-holdings. How dumb is that? I want to be poorer all year long... so I can get a check back from the government?

Hey idiot.... put your money in a savings account, and at the end of the year, you'll have the same amount of money in that account, that you would have had in a refund... except with interest.

And if you have an emergency during the year, you could use it.

Trump has nothing to do with how stupid you are in giving too much money to the government. Dumbest thing in the world....

"I'm mad at Trump because I didn't over pay all year long! It's all his fault I wasn't poorer the entire year!"

Are you a moron? Oh... right... your worse than a moron... you are a Democrap.

It has a lot to do with trump. He took away middle class deductions in order to be able to give tax cuts to corporations and the wealthy....USE YOUR BRAIN

You're not going to get as big of a refund when you paid less taxes all year long.

This article just explains so clearly how Americans are fucking stupid and can't see past the ends of their fat assed noses. The huffington puffington post is known Anti Trump so their opinion really isn't worth the dog shit it's written on.

Hey OP, rather than spew bullshit, why not quote Trump saying that everyone would get a larger tax refund? Don't just make shit up, back it up.
He said I would pay less in taxes

He lied

The Liar in Chief must live up to his name. Boy....trump screwed over many of his followers and they still hump his leg....

Not having the gov't take as much money during the year is not screwing people over.

Only a liberal would say that taking more of your money during the year and then making you be happy that you get some back is "good."

Trump needs the missing taxpayer refund money to bolster his wealth which is sagging like his ass and jowls.

If you ever got a refund of more than a couple of hundred dollars, you're paying way too much in withholding.

That is true however some people use withholding as a way of saving money until they get their refund. The new withholding tables were put in place without the consent of taxpayers.

Sorry dipstick, you can request more be withheld. What you're really saying is most people are too ignorant to manage their own affairs.

You are the dipstick as are all Trump supporters. The IRS sets all withholding tables. The only way to affect that is to decide whether or not to carry dependents. People are not ignorant. They use withholding the way they used a Christmas club account at one time. Save some money through withholding and buy something nice when you get your refund.

Trump needs the missing taxpayer refund money to bolster his wealth which is sagging like his ass and jowls.

If you ever got a refund of more than a couple of hundred dollars, you're paying way too much in withholding.

That is true however some people use withholding as a way of saving money until they get their refund. The new withholding tables were put in place without the consent of taxpayers.

Sorry dipstick, you can request more be withheld. What you're really saying is most people are too ignorant to manage their own affairs.

You are the dipstick as are all Trump supporters. The IRS sets all withholding tables. The only way to affect that is to decide whether or not to carry dependents. People are not ignorant. They use withholding the way they used a Christmas club account at one time. Save some money through withholding and buy something nice when you get your refund.

Damn son, not only are you a dipstick, you're a stupid dipstick.
Have you ever bothered to read the W-4 form? Line 6 allows you to request additional withholding.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw4.pdf

So feel free to loan the feds all the money, interest free, you wish.

it has been since the creation of the income tax. would you do away with the marriage deduction? the mortgage deduction? the child care deduction? medical deductions?, charity deductions? All of those influence behavior and IMHO benefit society as a whole.

But lets forget taxes and talk about other government policies that influence behavior--------------how about anti discrimination laws?

to say that government policy should not influence behavior is somewhat naïve.
What it has been is irrelevant...I would do away with the 16th Amendment, income tax, and IRS altogether.

To say that State policy should be there to act as the hand of a benevolent parent is the attitude of a despot.

Ok, then we should have a flat tax rate that applies to all people and all income of all types. no exemptions, no deductions, everyone pays the same rate. I would support that, would you?

100% correct, end thread!

You do realize that when you pay in less taxes from income, there is less taxes that you get back? O

Bingo. Somebody here actually does their own taxes and knows what's going on. Employers withheld a lot less than they did before. Besides, anyone with any brains would rather pay a little at filing time than get big ass refunds, since you're not getting any interest on that excess paid in over the previous year.

My personal preference is raising the personal deduction up to what a full time minimum wage job would pay; that would be around $36,088 on the very conservative end, and around $56,160 if using the gold standard, which is probably the best measure of real inflation. Defense spending should financed via a Federal tax on land, and not out of payroll tax revenues or income taxes.

Liberals are now complaining that taxes were not cut enough.

Most miserable pieces of ignorant hypocritical shit on earth.
Sheldon Adelson made $670 million off of the tax cut. Was that enough or too much.
Sounds good to me... When I have my first billion and have dividends coming in around $100,000,000 a year, I will gladly pay 5 to 11% taxes on it. Shame dumbasses like you, dont take the risk of stocks which have a very good reward. But then you probably want AOC to win, then she would take all your money anyway, so you can stay fucking poor and worthless..
I see youre still waiting.
rjhd0ecngg021.png
Bwaaaaahhhhhhaaaaaaa...I am retired making over $400,000 in dividend income...You may be waiting for a social security check or EBT, but you deserve it also..

oh look, another internet millionaire! It is amazing how many of them we have on this forum.

Fantasy millionaire who surfs the internet all day and the only dime he spends is for electricity, his ISP fees his McDonald's order and his diet coke.

The feces has hit the fan at tax refund time as low and middle-class Americans are finding that Trump has his hand in their pocket and has stolen money from their refunds.

The wealthy are still doing just fine. The lies about the Trump tax cuts is now exposed that the low and middle class are financing the tax cuts for the wealthy people and corporations.

Average Tax Refunds Down 8.4 Percent As Angry Taxpayers Vent On Twitter | HuffPost

headshot
By Mary Papenfuss

Average tax refunds were down last week 8.4 percent for the first week of the tax season over the same time last year, according to the Internal Revenue Service. Dipping refunds are inflaming a growing army of taxpayers stunned by the consequences of the Trump administration’s tax law — and the effects of the partial government shutdown.

The average refund check paid out so far has been $1,865, down from $2,035 at the same point in 2018, according to IRS data. Low-income taxpayers often file early to pocket the money as soon as possible. Many taxpayers count on the refunds to make important payments, or spend the money on things like home repairs, a vacation or a car.

The IRS had estimated it would issue about 2.3 percent fewer refunds this year as a result of the changes in the federal tax law, according to Bloomberg. MSNBC reports that 30 million Americans will owe the IRS money this year — 3 million more than before Trump’s tax law.

“There are going to be a lot of unhappy people over the next month,” Edward Karl of the American Institute of CPAs told Politico. “Taxpayers want a large refund.” Some 71 percent of taxpayers received refunds last year worth about $3,000 on average, according to Karl.

Scads of taxpayers are complaining on Twitter that they have always received a refund — but now owe the IRS instead. ...

The amount of your refund, is determined by how much you over pay. If you WANT a refund, you just jack up your with-holdings. How dumb is that? I want to be poorer all year long... so I can get a check back from the government?

Hey idiot.... put your money in a savings account, and at the end of the year, you'll have the same amount of money in that account, that you would have had in a refund... except with interest.

Trump has nothing to do with how stupid you are in giving too much money to the government. Dumbest thing in the world....

"I'm mad at Trump because I didn't over pay all year long! It's all his fault I wasn't poorer the entire year!"

You are dumber than you seem.

People are calculating their taxes. They made about the same as the previous year under the old tax code, they took the same withholding, and they expected a LARGER refund because that's what Trump promised. When many people didn't see any increase in their paycheck when the cuts took effect. Trump said they'd get a big refund from the cuts, but they are now finding that they're paying MORE than they did last year.

People are mad at Trump because HE LIED.

headshot
By Mary Papenfuss

All those evil rich folks who pay your way took a big hit on their mortgage interest deduction values...The bottom feeding degenerates should be happy...no?

Here is the idiocy of the Republican voter. I'm not rich but I'm gonne be someday so give those freeloaders all the tax cuts they want. Except that 99% of you fools will NEVER be rich, so you work all of YOUR life to line the pockets of the rich. No wonder Republicans treat their voters like such gullible fools. It's because they really are just that stupid.
Federal tax money never shows up in the average Americans pockets. Distribution is fucking morons

The low and middle class don't pay enough as it is.They use more of the government services.Raise their taxes.
As a counterpoint, you can argue that that those with the most money have/do benefit the most from government services.

For example: lets use Jeff Bezos. Without the use of the internet, partly developed by government; and public roads, provided by govt,; and safe and organized airspace, provided by govt,; etc. Would he have been able to create such a wildly successful company? Shouldn't he pay more taxes because he has benefited more from government services and infrastructure?
The government doesn’t own those services...
Fuck the collective

headshot
By Mary Papenfuss

People are calculating their taxes. They made about the same as the previous year under the old tax code, they took the same withholding, and they expected a LARGER refund because that's what Trump promised. When many people didn't see any increase in their paycheck when the cuts took effect. Trump said they'd get a big refund from the cuts, but they are now finding that they're paying MORE than they did last year.

Only a fucking moron depends on their tax return

Yep, People that depend on the nanny state are fucking morons

headshot
By Mary Papenfuss

You do realize that when you pay in less taxes from income, there is less taxes that you get back? Only the retarded liberals would make a point, because most of them dont work in the first place...I only get back about $100 for the year, because I barely put any overage because why should I loan the government "MY MONEY" so they can use if for the year, then give it back without paying any interest? Only dumbasses allow the government to abuse them..

What’s retarded are the trump chumps who actually think they can still convince anyone but themselves that trickledown economics work after being proven a failure.

What’s even more retarded is how they whine an cry when their trickledown economics are taken away from them.

Get ready for some whining and crying everyone.
What is retarded, With withholding the government gets to use that money most of the year and pay is no interest on that then gives it back with no interest. Only fucking fools depend on withholding tax returns

headshot
By Mary Papenfuss

You're missing the point. People aren't counting on their tax returns.

People are upset because Trump promised them middle class tax cuts, and delivered increases instead.

A tax refund is not a gift from the government!

If you’re getting a sizable refund, get your ass down to payroll tomorrow and change your withholding.
Yep, You really should not be getting a refund at all because the government is using your money for most of the year for nothing.

It’s a fucking joke

headshot
By Mary Papenfuss

You're missing the point. People aren't counting on their tax returns.

People are upset because Trump promised them middle class tax cuts, and delivered increases instead.
Lol
Don’t like the tax cuts, get more successful… End of story

Lol
Which is totally moronic, Letting the government use your money for most of the year for nothing. A smart person would have to pay in every year.... As late as possible

It is mostly because of the limited state and local tax deduction. Last year I was able to deduct $13k but this year the limit is $10k. That being said I also paid a lower tax rate and get a $1.6k child tax credit per child. I ll be doing my taxes next week and see where I come out. What Trump did do was punish the blue states. Where the state and local and RE taxes were super high...like $50k vs my $13k and people used that to lower their Federal Tax burden. This really is a tax on the rich, that the Democrats wanted. I am not sure what they are complaining about.

headshot
By Mary Papenfuss

Lol
If people depend on their tax return they deserve to be disappointed

Forum List

Back