Titan and Adriana: Two very different responses.

pknopp

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2019
This article is about the difference in coverage in the recent maritime tragedies. In one you had a vessel operated by some very wealthy people get massive coverage and in the other you had hundreds of poor people fleeing war (instigated by the U.S.) lose their lives with very little coverage.

I imagine the next few days will be spent on the media discussing about addressing the things that led to the Titan sinking and what should be done about that but next to nothing about the Adriana sinking and how to address that.

Hundreds Dead, 9 Arrested, and Many Questions in Migrant Wreck

Last edited:
This article is about the difference in coverage in the recent maritime tragedies. In one you had a vessel operated by some very wealthy people get massive coverage and in the other you had hundreds of poor people fleeing war (instigated by the U.S.) lose their lives with very little coverage.

I imagine the next few days will be spent on the media discussing about addressing the things that led to the Titan sinking and what should be done about that but next to nothing about the Adriana sinking and how to address that.

Well to be fair, those migrants didn't have a submarine.

Submarines are cool.

I don't dispute the fact that the US had a role in the current Ukraine tragedy but the great majority of these migrants, regardless of where their point of origin was, are economic migrants, not asylum seekers. SOME on that boat were likely fleeing the war but there is no way to know how many.
The people traffickers, if they can be identified, should receive the death penalty. It won't stop others but it will raise the risks for them so that they raise the fees until fewer will be able to make the foolhardy attempt.

As for the 5 on the Titanic viewing dive, I only felt sorry for the kid. 19 was too young for him to really have understood the risks. At least he died next to his dad and their deaths were literally, instantaneous.

I don't care about either one.....Happy now?

Fishes can't tell the difference between rich folks and poor folks. They all taste the same. © 2023 by JGalt - All Rights reserved

I don't dispute the fact that the US had a role in the current Ukraine tragedy but the great majority of these migrants, regardless of where their point of origin was, are economic migrants, not asylum seekers. SOME on that boat were likely fleeing the war but there is no way to know how many.
The people traffickers, if they can be identified, should receive the death penalty. It won't stop others but it will raise the risks for them so that they raise the fees until fewer will be able to make the foolhardy attempt.

As for the 5 on the Titanic viewing dive, I only felt sorry for the kid. 19 was too young for him to really have understood the risks. At least he died next to his dad and their deaths were literally, instantaneous.

You should at least post a snippet when linking to a paywall.

You should at least post a snippet when linking to a paywall.

Sorry about that. It worked when I posted it.

Greek coast guard defends actions as more than 500 migrants heading for Europe feared dead in wreck

Greek coast guard defends actions as more than 500 migrants heading for Europe feared dead in wreck

ship.jpg

Good morning captain obvious.
Why does this surprise you?
Why would anyone expect anything different?
How would you suggest forcing the world to act differently?

Good morning captain obvious.
Why does this surprise you?
Why would anyone expect anything different?
How would you suggest forcing the world to act differently?

First we could stop supporting those starting the wars that created this mess to start with.

I don't care about either one.....Happy now?
Me either. IDK why one is supposed to care every time someone dies. Rich people in subs, migrants, singers, actors etc. Dont know em, dont care.
You think they give a fuck if you die? lol

You mean the rich , right?
You have my non support.
So how has that changed anything?

In the case of Libya, (which is the country they were fleeing from), I mean those who lied us into that war.

This is a big story because it is connected with the Titanic.

But who really gives a shit? A couple of dozen hood rats are shit every day and more on the weekds in Chicago and it never makes the news. However, if one crazy person shoots up something it will be on the news every day for a month.

WASHINGTON—Analyzing the mistakes OceanGate made that led to the vessel’s disappearance, critics told reporters Thursday that the submersible should have been tested with poorer passengers first. “The company skipped the very crucial step of sending five lower-class people to the bottom of the ocean to make sure it was safe enough for the wealthy,” said Otto Scofield, a member of the Marine Technology Society, adding that no one with a net worth above $50,000 should have been in the submersible. “OceanGate made the mistake of not using minimum wage workers and unemployed people on government welfare programs to test the seaworthiness of the craft, which was not billionaire-ready. Running more trials with some homeless people would have made all the difference, and the deaths of several wealthy people could have been prevented.” Scofield continued that using children of color from impoverished families would have been ideal as more would have been able to fit inside the submersible.

Critics Say Submersible Should’ve Been Tested With Poorer Passengers First

Not far from the truth.

Forum List

Back