Titanic tourist submarine goes missing in the Atlantic Ocean

I am not trying to correct your or take away from your comment, and now that I think about I am comparing to different systems, never mind...

but, what I was going to say is that the Virginia Class Navy Submarines use a Xbox controller, but that is just for the camera that replaces the periscope.

Yep, controls the periscope, not the propulsion systems of the sub.

I get it, even tho the Logitech controller is probably not at the heart of the catastrophe, but it still seems to be another example of evidence of how poorly this craft was thought out. You have a wireless blue tooth controller in charge of the critical maneuvering of the vessel. Is that thing rugged enough to survive a fall? What if it gets wet? What if drops and lands at a weird angle or gets lodged in something with one of the toggles activated? What if the sync breaks? Do you have back up batteries? A back up control? What if the sub rolls uncommanded because of a current? There's no seats in this thing, nothing to hold onto so that controller could bounce around and introduce all sorts of chaos. Maybe all of this totally works and isn't a problem I have no idea.

Here's a massive thread contrasting James Cameron's submersible he took to the Challenger Deep versus the Titan, covering the hundreds of systems, safety redundancies, custom materials, the testing, etc. It might of seemed like overkill to someone like Oceangate CEO, but this quote stood out to me in terms of how Cameron's engineering team approached the design and considerations versus the Oceangate guy who is now human slurry being nibbled up by deep sea crabs.

Once you see how the Deepsea Challenger's engineers were working on "when X fails..." instead of "*IF* X fails..." you start to recognise how every single mechanism had backups for days.

Last edited:
The brit billionaire that signed up to ride on that piece shit had been down to the Challenger Deep in the Limiting Factor, three times deeper than the Titanic. So it's not the only game in town. Check out the Limiting Factor - notable is the fact they committed to the classing that Titan never went through.

I'm not an expert and completely full of shit about all of this - but when you look at the Limiting Factor - which Hamish had ridden on before, how he then took a look at the Titan with no seats, a bluetooth game controller that no one should be trusting Mario's life to, let alone their own, no hand holds, a rat nest of exterior cables and a bird's nest under the floor mats... how he thought this was up to calibre I have no idea.

This:

View attachment 797726

vs. this:

View attachment 797727
After looking at the Limiting Factor, the Titan looks like a piece of crap. You are right, how could a billionaire not recognize junk. All those cables on the outside, all it would take is a big fish to sideswipe the thing and that is the end.

Obviously, Rush, the titan oceangate founder, had inherited his wealth and was not well schooled, or schooled at all in engineering.

That billionaire, all the passengers, had to die a death of a thousand regrets, I am sure on the hours long journey to the Titanic, they had to think they just made a life ending mistake.

Yep, controls the periscope, not the propulsion systems of the sub.

I get it, even tho the Logitech controller is probably not at the heart of the catastrophe, but it still seems to be another example of evidence of how poorly this craft was thought out. You have a wireless blue tooth controller in charge of the critical maneuvering of the vessel. Is that thing rugged enough to survive a fall? What if it gets wet? What if drops and lands at a weird angle or gets logged in something with one of the toggles activated? What if the sync breaks? Do you have back up batteries? A back up control? What if the sub rolls uncommanded because of a current? There's no seats in this thing, nothing to hold onto so that controller could bounce around and introduce all sorts of chaos. Maybe all of this totally works and isn't a problem I have no idea.

Here's a massive thread contrasting James Cameron's submersible he took to the Challenger Deep versus the Titan, covering the hundreds of systems, safety redundancies, custom materials, the testing, etc. It might of seemed like overkill to someone like Oceangate CEO, but this quote stood out to me in terms of how Cameron's engineering approached the design and considerations versus the Oceangate guy who is now human slurry being nibbled up by deep sea crabs.

Once you see how the Deepsea Challenger's engineers were working on "when X fails..." instead of "*IF* X fails..." you start to recognise how every single mechanism had backups for days.

I feel for the people, you pay the price of admission, you get in line, you wait, you finally get in the vessel, you have second thoughts, but you spent your cash, and your dream is right below, and it is human nature to trust. People just can't turn back, it is our nature, I know but my experiences did not cost me my life but they cost me.

An certified submersible vessel should never ever be allowed to touch the USA's ports, or be in our waters. After all, we have to go to sea to rescue the fool, and a fool was the whole team at OceanGate.

James Cameron did that ten years back and filmed it.

On 26 March 2012, Cameron reached the bottom of the Challenger Deep, the deepest part of the Mariana Trench. The maximum depth recorded during this record-setting dive was 10,908 metres (35,787 ft).[42] Measured by Cameron, at the moment of touchdown, the depth was 10,898 m (35,756 ft). It was the fourth-ever dive to the Challenger Deep and the second crewed dive (with a maximum recorded depth slightly less than that of Trieste's 1960 dive). It was the first solo dive and the first to spend a significant amount of time (three hours) exploring the bottom.[1]

I had totally forgotten about this, thanks for the reminder. I have to see this in 3D, I will speak to whomever is in charge of our local 3D theater and see if this is going to be shown again.

click on pic

Attachments

• IMG_1180_jpeg-2860711.jpg
    IMG_1180_jpeg-2860711.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 13
Obviously, Rush, the titan oceangate founder, had inherited his wealth and was not well schooled, or schooled at all in engineering.

His fatal flaw was overconfidence.

Rush was born into a wealthy family in San Francisco. He was the youngest of five children born to Richard Stockton Rush, Jr. of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and Ellen Rush (née Davies) of San Francisco. His maternal grandfather was Ralph K. Davies, and his maternal grandmother was the namesake for Louise M. Davies Symphony Hall. Through his father he was a descendant of two signers of the Declaration of Independence, Benjamin Rush and Richard Stockton.

As a child he had dreams of becoming an astronaut. In 1980 he earned a commercial pilot's license at 18 years old,around the same time he graduated from Phillips Exeter Academy. He was later told his visual acuity would disqualify him from becoming a military pilot, and he moved from San Francisco to Seattle to work for McDonnell Douglas as a flight-test engineer for F-15 Eagle jets. When he was 19 years old, he earned a DC-8 Type/Captain's rating at the United Airlines Jet Training Institute.

In 1984, Rush received a degree from Princeton University in aerospace engineering. In 1989, he received a Master of Business Administration from the University of California, Berkeley.

His fatal flaw was overconfidence.

Rush was born into a wealthy family in San Francisco. He was the youngest of five children born to Richard Stockton Rush, Jr. of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and Ellen Rush (née Davies) of San Francisco. His maternal grandfather was Ralph K. Davies, and his maternal grandmother was the namesake for Louise M. Davies Symphony Hall. Through his father he was a descendant of two signers of the Declaration of Independence, Benjamin Rush and Richard Stockton.

As a child he had dreams of becoming an astronaut. In 1980 he earned a commercial pilot's license at 18 years old,around the same time he graduated from Phillips Exeter Academy. He was later told his visual acuity would disqualify him from becoming a military pilot, and he moved from San Francisco to Seattle to work for McDonnell Douglas as a flight-test engineer for F-15 Eagle jets. When he was 19 years old, he earned a DC-8 Type/Captain's rating at the United Airlines Jet Training Institute.

In 1984, Rush received a degree from Princeton University in aerospace engineering. In 1989, he received a Master of Business Administration from the University of California, Berkeley.

Aerospace engineering? I can't believe an engineer would not have that vessel certified, I wonder, not to be mean, if he graduated at the top of the class?

Acrylic viewport clearly shattered. No way that they would have removed it, if it was still intact...

titan-nose-and-port-hole.jpg

This does not mean that the viewport broke first. It could have broken as a result of hull implosion. Since the submersible is in many pieces, it seems that this is likely.

Since they are bringing so much up to the surface, the investigators are likely to have some great evidence to determine the failure cause.

It can lose power, and thus propulsion and communications.

It could also have a catastrophic hull failure, and at the depths it goes to, that's really really bad.
I saw an interesting scientific breakdown of it. Check out these facts...

1- They never saw the breach happen because the water moved faster than the eye can register before they died.

2- They never felt it because they died before the brain could process the pain, which is normally like a couple miliseconds.

3 - The pressure and speed of the water hitting the air inside caused the temperature to raise to 10,000 degrees, which is as hot as the sun.

4 - there are no remains. They were liquified into a gelatin like substance instantly.

Last edited:
I saw an interesting scientific breakdown of it. Check out these facts...

1- They never saw the breach happen because the water moved faster than the eye can register before they died.

2- They never felt it because they died before the brain could process the pain, which is normally like a couple miliseconds.

3 - The pressure and speed of the water hitting the air inside caused the tempurature to raise to 10,000 degrees, which is as hot as the sun.

4 - there are no remains. They were liquified into a gelatin like substance instantly.

It's also a function of the material. Metal would deform maybe for a bit, Carbon fiber just breaks.

Either with the window or the hull, they knew even if they couldn't process the actual implosion. Stockton was sick in choosing a setup that would make the occupants aware that the sub was falling for no other purpose than terrifying them in their last moments.

Here's him talking about the window that wasn't rated to the depths they dove on titanic expeditions. He speaks how the window will 'crackle' when it begins to fail, giving a HUGE WARNING.

And here's him talking about the acoustic monitoring system the alerts everyone the sub's hull is coming apart on them at depth.

Last edited:
Either with the window or the hull, they knew even if they couldn't process the actual implosion. Stockton was sick in choosing a setup that would make the occupants aware that the sub was falling for no other purpose than terrifying them in their last moments.

Here's him talking about the window that wasn't rated to the depths they dove on titanic expeditions. He speaks how the window will 'crackle' when it begins to fail, giving a HUGE WARNING.

And here's him talking about the acoustic monitoring system the alerts everyone the sub's hull is coming apart on them at depth.

He knew that a carbon fiber hull bonded to titanium was subject to fatigue and corrosion after multiple dives, and the way this submersible was built, there was not real way to inspect it for early signs of degradation.

So, he installed the acoustic alarm system, which was intended, but not guaranteed, to provide early warning.

Betcha he recorded cracking all the time, and become so accustomed to hearing it, that he thought it was normal - kind of like the people who drive around with a "service engine" light on, but with much more at stake.

Forum List

Back