To Remove Lead Water Pipes, First You Must Find Them

Of course they will. Every single one of them. Just like the slimy puke Ted Cruz, who votes down disaster relief for other States, then grabs it with both hands when something bad happens in Texas. People like him stay in office because they reflect the values of their constituency.
I'm not the one asking you or anyone else to pay for me or my communities needs,,,

we can pay for it ourselves,,,

So what are the chances of some kid getting lead poisoning in today time?
Pretty high actually
LOCAL ISSUES
its a local issue not a fed one
"Local issues" that local authorities cannot afford to deal with without hefty property tax increases.
OK so raise the taxs on those effected,, not my job to pay for utilities for someone 1000 miles away,,

we have enough problems of our own,,
It's not my job to rebuild after a hurricane that happened 1200 miles from me but we seem to bail out FL and TX quite a lot. You guys forget we are a country, 50 united States. That means that we help each other out when someone needs it.

So what are the chances of some kid getting lead poisoning in today time?
Pretty high actually
LOCAL ISSUES
its a local issue not a fed one
"Local issues" that local authorities cannot afford to deal with without hefty property tax increases.
OK so raise the taxs on those effected,, not my job to pay for utilities for someone 1000 miles away,,

we have enough problems of our own,,
It's not my job to rebuild after a hurricane that happened 1200 miles from me but we seem to bail out FL and TX quite a lot. You guys forget we are a country, 50 united States. That means that we help each other out when someone needs it.

big difference between a large natural disaster and a failure of a city/county,,,

big difference between a large natural disaster and a failure of a city/county,,,
Who zones for building houses on flood plains? On hurricane prone beaches? Who builds the levees? Who regulated the Texas power grid? Who designed Houston's flood mitigation? Just shut up already.

It's off topic. Take it to another thread. You are in no position to decide what is rational and what is not.

O.k. then if you insist I'll stay on the lead pipes thing.
May I comment on the lack of understanding, being self-destructive to America and Americans?
I think that's the only really useful purpose of the debate. Thus, I have related your issue to other similar issues in which America is choosing self-destruction over Biden's attempts at the 'really big' fix.

Bridges, potholes, health care, infrastructure in general, lead water pipes, poverty of the working class, etc., etc., etc.

Can we not combine them all into being that which has dropped America down to 15th. on quality of life? I mean hon, little children starting to twitch and turn green after drinking water laced with lead, is hardly American, is it?

This is an easy fix. Houses in urban areas are fed from the street, usually from a metering box with 100 feet of the house. The feeds can be retrofitted with PEX. This can be done by giving contracts to local plumbers, creating jobs for them, as well as the suppliers, as well as the manufacturers of the pipe and fittings. Homeowners get an upgrade to their houses, increasing their value, fixing the toxic water problem at the same time.

This problem has been way over thought.

The Trump humpers don't like it because it actually gets something done for real Americans. When that happens they can't win. They're now finding out the hard way this isn't 2010, and they're not dealing with Obama. Everything is different now, and the same bull shit they have been selling for years, isn't selling anymore. They can't put a welfare queen angle on it, and it's driving them batshit crazy.

Joe Biden is playing them like a fiddle, while Donald Trump is steadily fucking them in the ass from Mar A Lago.

The entertainment value of watching the righties implode in on themselves is epic.
Except that from what I understand lead pipes aren't supplying the water to the homes. So, then the question is why are we fixing a non-issue? Is that confusion on the part of the author?

According to this link, 10 million homes get their water through lead municipal pipes. That's a significant number of families:

EDF has a four star rating, according to their website.

Municipal records should show what their water system pipes are made of, as well as when they were installed, so ferretting out where these pipes are, should also be fairly easy.
Digging up the streets in older cities does not just mean you would be replacing the pipes. They would replace or install everything else like electrical and other utilities. Otherwise they would have to dig it up over and over. Cities that industrialized and put down a lot of infrastructure in the beginning of the 20th century or so was the best technology back then. And the cost was far less. Municipal workers are paid well. Government contractors even more so. Projects by current rules could take a long time just for several blocks. Jobs like putting up a short concrete bridge that took a couple of months at most over a century ago may take a few years today to rehab.

I don't think solder ever comes in contact with the water on a copper pipe joint if it is done right. So that is a non-issue as well.
The solder is what makes the joints watertight, of course it comes into contact with the water. That's why they banned it.
How many copper pipes have you soldered? None, didn't think so. I made my living working with just that medium. The configuration of the soldered joint never allows the water to contact the solder. The solder just holds the pipe in place. Just STFU, you don't know shit.
[/QUOTE]
If you aren't smart enough to know that you need to solder a copper sweat joint I highly doubt that you worked with that medium. Better yet, you put a sweat joint together without solder and stand under it while I turn the water on.

Safe drinking water for everyone in America is an important goal, and Joe Biden’s American Jobs Plan makes a $111 billion investment toward that. While the majority of the funding goes to modernizing water treatment and delivery systems and remediating potentially harmful chemicals like PFAS, what’s gotten the most attention is a $45 billion initiative to “replace 100 percent of the nation’s lead pipes and service lines.”

If we could manage to do this, it would make a huge difference. Lead exposure has been credibly linked to stunted child development, kidney disease, auditory problems, brain damage, behavioral challenges, and more provocatively, crime. We eliminated leaded gasoline and paint in the 1970s and yet it still lingers as a persistent problem. And part of that comes through water tainted as it flows through lead pipes.

But if you want to replace all the lead water pipes in America, the first thing you have to do is find all the lead water pipes in America.

This sounds like it has the makings of a chaotic nightmare. I don't have a problem with it as long as homeowners are not having to come up with money to replace them.
in all my 45 yrs of working on old houses I have never seen a single lead water pipe,, they are used fro drain pipes but not water pipes because they cant handle the pressure,,

I've been a Realtor for 45+ years and never saw a lead pipe. polybutylene piping has been a major problem in our area but we're about through all the houses built with that material.

Last edited:
I don't think solder ever comes in contact with the water on a copper pipe joint if it is done right. So that is a non-issue as well.
The solder is what makes the joints watertight, of course it comes into contact with the water. That's why they banned it.
How many copper pipes have you soldered? None, didn't think so. I made my living working with just that medium. The configuration of the soldered joint never allows the water to contact the solder. The solder just holds the pipe in place. Just STFU, you don't know shit.
If you aren't smart enough to know that you need to solder a copper sweat joint I highly doubt that you worked with that medium. Better yet, you put a sweat joint together without solder and stand under it while I turn the water on.
[/QUOTE]

how does it make it water tight if it never touches the water??

Having an aging infra structure (lead pipes for instance) is NOT a "failure"...
when they charged people for maintenance and didnt provide it it is,,,

they should have dealt with this yrs ago,,,
Maintenance id REPAIR...not replacement
sorry but youre wrong,, its all one in the same,,,

Safe drinking water for everyone in America is an important goal

I've found it far easier to leave things be as they are until their time comes and simply buy a ZeroWater drinking dispenser for far cleaner water than I will ever get out of any underground plumbing.

[/QUOTE]
You stupid fuck--a sweat joint is one where a pipe slides into an expanded pipe--where the expansion necks back down the internal pipe meet to make a butt joint of sorts. The solder does no more than to hold that pipe butt joint in place and the water never comes in contact. You fucking idiots deserve exactly what you get.

how does it make it water tight if it never touches the water??
[/QUOTE]
OK I'll make it really simple. You have a sweat joint with say a straight pipe and an elbow. You clean the outside of the pipe and the inside of the elbow, then you slide the elbow onto the pipe. Fits kinda snug but is not water tight, trust me if you turned the water on now it would blow the two pieces apart. . The solder fills the gap between the two pieces of copper, fills it completely otherwise it would leak. So not only does the solder weld the two pieces of copper together it acts as the seel to keep the water in. The water is pushing on the solder so of course it comes in contact with it.

Forum List

Back