Tobasco Sauce

on fried eggs

I don't trust anyone who doesn't put Tabasco on their eggs. There's something fundamentally wrong with that person so I watch them closely and don't make friends with them.

TRUE STORY. THE CHICAGO WAITRESS:

Flying around the world for 31 years, I stayed in too many hotels and ate at too many hotel restaurants. One morning in Chicago, I'm ordering breakfast and decide to have biscuits and gravy. Waitress takes my order and returns with a piping hot plate of biscuits and gravy.

As she presents the dish, she suggests, "You should put Tabasco on those. It really tastes great."

For those of you who speak Southern, you'll know what my reply meant in context: "Well thank you Ma'am. Bless your heart."

Translation: "Where the f#ck all does a Yankee wench get off telling me how to eat biscuits and gravy? You can kiss my Rebel hind end you low life Yankee peasant. My people put this dish on the planet!" As she walks away.

Long pause.

Stares at plate.

Hmm. That does sound like a good idea. Try. Wow!

Silently apologizes to Yankee waitress who never knew she was silently berated.

That was well over a decade ago. I rarely have biscuits and gravy but when I do, it's in honor of that kindly Yankee waitress in Chicago who turned me on to the idea.

Here's to you Ma'am and Bless Your Heart!

iu

Last edited:
I can't see a bottle of Tabasco without thinking of my Dear Old Daddy. He lived on the stuff.

My great uncle used Texas Pete on most everything. He said it was good (God rest his soul).

Tabasco is Chemicals.

Touché.

"TABASCO® Original Red Pepper Sauce is made with three simple ingredients and aged in oak barrels for up to three years on Avery Island, Louisiana, before bottling."

Peppers, vinegar and salt.

Some of you may be able to solve this mystery for me:

For years, I've traveled to New Orleans. I always expected to see Tabasco on the restaurant tables but instead it was always Crystal hot sauce. Does anyone know why? Did the McIlhenny family do something to irritate the restaurateurs of New Orleans? What's the attraction to Crystal when Tabasco is made right up the river on Avery Island? And tastes better.

iu

Last edited:
Tabasco is Chemicals.

Touché.

"TABASCO® Original Red Pepper Sauce is made with three simple ingredients and aged in oak barrels for up to three years on Avery Island, Louisiana, before bottling."

Peppers, vinegar and salt.

Some of you may be able to solve this mystery for me:

For years, I've traveled to New Orleans. I always expected to see Tabasco on the restaurant tables but instead it was always Crystal hot sauce. Does anyone know why? Did the McIlhenny family do something to irritate the restaurateurs of New Orleans? What's the attraction to Crystal when Tabasco is made right up the river on Avery Island? And tastes better.

iu
Crystal is cheaper

The explosion of Buffalo Chicken Wings made Franks Hot Sauce the biggest seller

Unlike Tobasco where you drip on some sauce, to make Buffalo Wings you dip them in pure Franks Hot Sauce and butter

The explosion of Buffalo Chicken Wings made Franks Hot Sauce the biggest seller

Unlike Tobasco where you drip on some sauce, to make Buffalo Wings you dip them in pure Franks Hot Sauce and butter

We marinate chicken in Franks and then put it on the smoker for around three hours.
Be sure and wipe off the excess sauce before smoking or it will be overpowering.

The absolutely best sauce I've ever had was those two sauces that many dollar taco places in Texas have. The tacos are nothing but a fried corn tortilla with chopped up chicken, cilantro, and onion.

The sauces come in two bottles: One red and one green. The red sauce is usually made of some type of whole dried red pepper that's first toasted over a high heat in a pan, then ran through a food processor with some water, salt, garlic, a touch of sugar, and sometimes cilantro.

The green sauce is usually tomatillos, water, salt, onions, and cilantro. I used to eat about 4 or 5 of those simplistic tacos just so I could drench them in the sauces. The sauces are also served cold in a squeeze bottle.

This one perhaps?
It's real popular in mexican restaurants here in Texas.
81sczWSGJnL._SL1483_.jpg

Tabasco sauce and sriracha...hard to beat.
I find Tabasco is far better as a condiment, while sriracha is better in cooking.

I don't like the smell. Too vinegary? I like hot, but I like fresh made green or red sauce.

I don't like the smell. Too vinegary? I like hot, but I like fresh made green or red sauce.

I love pico de gallo. Especially when tomatoes are fresh grown. Bonzi had never had it before I made it, now it is her favorite on tacos etc.
I also like salsa verde...that mild sourness from the green tomatoes is awesome on some dishes.

The absolutely best sauce I've ever had was those two sauces that many dollar taco places in Texas have. The tacos are nothing but a fried corn tortilla with chopped up chicken, cilantro, and onion.

The sauces come in two bottles: One red and one green. The red sauce is usually made of some type of whole dried red pepper that's first toasted over a high heat in a pan, then ran through a food processor with some water, salt, garlic, a touch of sugar, and sometimes cilantro.

The green sauce is usually tomatillos, water, salt, onions, and cilantro. I used to eat about 4 or 5 of those simplistic tacos just so I could drench them in the sauces. The sauces are also served cold in a squeeze bottle.

This one perhaps?
81sczWSGJnL._SL1483_.jpg

No, not the Cholula. That's standard fare commercial table sauce. The red and green sauce I meant was something they make in house.

This one perhaps?
81sczWSGJnL._SL1483_.jpg

No, not the Cholula. That's standard fare commercial table sauce. The red and green sauce I meant was something they make in house.

I think you're confusing hot sauce with salsa.

This one perhaps?
81sczWSGJnL._SL1483_.jpg

I think you're confusing hot sauce with salsa.

Hot sauce is watery with no solid material. Salsa would have chunks of stuff like tomatoes, peppers, onions, cilantro, and garlic.

The red and green sauces I was referring to are just a semi-thick liquid. They use dried Guajillo chilies and Chili de Arbol peppers. Similar to this stuff:

Herrera Family Secret Recipes: Taqueria Style Roasted Red Salsa Recipe

Forum List

Back