Tobasco Sauce

The absolutely best sauce I've ever had was those two sauces that many dollar taco places in Texas have. The tacos are nothing but a fried corn tortilla with chopped up chicken, cilantro, and onion.

The sauces come in two bottles: One red and one green. The red sauce is usually made of some type of whole dried red pepper that's first toasted over a high heat in a pan, then ran through a food processor with some water, salt, garlic, a touch of sugar, and sometimes cilantro.

The green sauce is usually tomatillos, water, salt, onions, and cilantro. I used to eat about 4 or 5 of those simplistic tacos just so I could drench them in the sauces. The sauces are also served cold in a squeeze bottle.

This one perhaps?
It's real popular in mexican restaurants here in Texas.
81sczWSGJnL._SL1483_.jpg

No, not the Cholula. That's standard fare commercial table sauce. The red and green sauce I meant was something they make in house.

I think you're confusing hot sauce with salsa.

Hot sauce is watery with no solid material. Salsa would have chunks of stuff like tomatoes, peppers, onions, cilantro, and garlic.

The red and green sauces I was referring to are just a semi-thick liquid. They use dried Guajillo chilies and Chili de Arbol peppers. Similar to this stuff:

Herrera Family Secret Recipes: Taqueria Style Roasted Red Salsa Recipe

Yep..the stuff they bring out with your chips.

The absolutely best sauce I've ever had was those two sauces that many dollar taco places in Texas have. The tacos are nothing but a fried corn tortilla with chopped up chicken, cilantro, and onion.

The sauces come in two bottles: One red and one green. The red sauce is usually made of some type of whole dried red pepper that's first toasted over a high heat in a pan, then ran through a food processor with some water, salt, garlic, a touch of sugar, and sometimes cilantro.

The green sauce is usually tomatillos, water, salt, onions, and cilantro. I used to eat about 4 or 5 of those simplistic tacos just so I could drench them in the sauces. The sauces are also served cold in a squeeze bottle.

This one perhaps?
81sczWSGJnL._SL1483_.jpg

No, not the Cholula. That's standard fare commercial table sauce. The red and green sauce I meant was something they make in house.

Hot sauce is watery with no solid material. Salsa would have chunks of stuff like tomatoes, peppers, onions, cilantro, and garlic.

The red and green sauces I was referring to are just a semi-thick liquid. They use dried Guajillo chilies and Chili de Arbol peppers. Similar to this stuff:

We only have two Mexican restaurants in this little 5,000 population town I live in up North. But I did live in Texas for 20 years and ate a shitload of Mexican food there. The best places are those establishments that have more then one kind of sauce. All of them have the standard red table sauce that comes with the chips but if you ask them, they will bring you a bowl of something hotter. The hotter stuff is usually a deeper red sauce that tastes like a mixture of toasted peppers and kerosene. My wife doesn't like it but I usually put away a bowl or two with the food.

If you're lucky, they also have some kind of green sauce, which is usually made of tomatillos. Tomatillos are like little green tomatoes. Sometimes they have pico de gallo, which is just chopped up tomatoes, onions, peppers, and cilanto with lime juice and salt. Pico de gallo translates to "peck of the rooster."

The best places have several different sauces. There was one place in Austin TX I remember that had six different kinds.

This one perhaps?
81sczWSGJnL._SL1483_.jpg

We only have two Mexican restaurants in this little 5,000 population town I live in up North. But I did live in Texas for 20 years and ate a shitload of Mexican food there. The best places are those establishments that have more then one kind of sauce. All of them have the standard red table sauce that comes with the chips but if you ask them, they will bring you a bowl of something hotter. The hotter stuff is usually a deeper red sauce that tastes like a mixture of toasted peppers and kerosene. My wife doesn't like it but I usually put away a bowl or two with the food.

If you're lucky, they also have some kind of green sauce, which is usually made of tomatillos. Tomatillos are like little green tomatoes. Sometimes they have pico de gallo, which is just chopped up tomatoes, onions, peppers, and cilanto with lime juice and salt. Pico de gallo translates to "peck of the rooster."

The best places have several different sauces. There was one place in Austin TX I remember that had six different kinds.

All the Mexican restaurants here in Houston give you the red and green sauce with your chips.
Sometimes the green is Tomatillo based,sometimes avocado based or a combination of the two.

It sucks that you now have to ask for hotter salsa these days.
With all the yankees moving south they had to tone it down.

Forum List

Back