Tom Delay claims God wrote Constitution

JimH52

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2007
US
Tom DeLay Claims God 'Wrote The Constitution'

“I think we got off the track when we allowed our government to become a secular government,” DeLay told host Matthew Hagee, the executive pastor of the Texas Cornerstone Church. “[W]e stopped realizing that God created this nation, that he wrote the Constitution, that it’s based on biblical principles.”

James Madison is going to be surprised....

“I think we got off the track when we allowed our government to become a secular government,” DeLay told host Matthew Hagee, the executive pastor of the Texas Cornerstone Church. “[W]e stopped realizing that God created this nation, that he wrote the Constitution, that it’s based on biblical principles.”
READ the Declaration...and realize it was codified by the adoption of the Constitution over the Articles of Confederation. Go and laugh away but Delay is correct.

READ the Declaration...and realize it was codified by the adoption of the Constitution over the Articles of Confederation. Go and laugh away but Delay is correct.

Delay is correct in saying that God wrote the Constitution?

That's amazing.

I mean, it's clearly taken somewhat out of context, but amazing still.
Nope, it's not taken out of context, he's quoted as saying exactly that. Did you see the video of DeLay saying it?

Do you know what "out of context" means?

It means that we have no idea what was said before or after the sentence fragment this thread is based on.

i dont think so T.....a bunch of MEN wrote it....Inspiration from God is maybe what happened in certain parts.....but MEN wrote it......

i dont think so T.....a bunch of MEN wrote it....Inspiration from God is maybe what happened in certain parts.....but MEN wrote it......
And they referenced whom in so many of their writings?

Delay is correct in saying that God wrote the Constitution?

I would clarify that God inspired it.

Natural laws and natural rights of man are inherent in human conscience by birth.
So these laws are "credited" to God.

Then the Constitution made them statutory, put them in writing.

this process took people praying in unity for wisdom to guide the nation
and posterity, so it can be argued as divinely inspired if you call it from God.

This process is not unlike the Bible representing universal laws and already existing,
but weren't given in writing until Mosaic law was established and passed down.

also Buddha received wisdom and visions of universal laws and started teaching these
before these were written down.

All these laws, both spiritual or natural laws, even laws of science, social psychology
and civil human rights, can be seen as universal laws of humanity coming from "God" as the source of all truth and life.

You can see these laws or God as "self-existent and eternal"
or you can call God the source, and say knowledge and writing of the laws
came from God through man to establish real world language and understanding of them
in order to bring "justice" to the world. again, through this universal process, regardless what terms you use for the laws.

Last edited:
I don't think God has done much writing since those Commandments he wrote a while back.

They're still best-sellers, though.

I think the "Code of Ethics for Govt Service"
was as divinely inspired as the Bill of Rights.

What else would it take to pass a law UNANIMOUSLY
by Congress? If that isn't divine intervention, what is:
ethics-commission.net
it's very well written, but no one follows it or wants to be held to them.
hence, obviously at the level of 10 commandments in the Bible!

"CODE OF ETHICS FOR GOVERNMENT SERVICE

"Any person in Government service should:

"I. Put loyalty to the highest moral principles and to country above loyalty to persons, party, or Government department.

"II. Uphold the Constitution, laws, and regulations of the United States and of all governments therein and never be a party to their evasion.

"III. Give a full day's labor for a full day's pay; giving earnest effort and best thought to the performance of duties.

"IV. Seek to find and employ more efficient and economical ways of getting tasks accomplished.

"V. Never discriminate unfairly by the dispensing of special favors or privileges to anyone, whether for remuneration or not; and never accept, for himself or herself or for family members, favors or benefits under circumstances which might be construed by reasonable persons as influencing the performance of governmental duties.

"VI. Make no private promises of any kind binding upon the duties of office, since a Governmental employee has no private word which can be binding on public duty.

"VII. Engage in no business with the Government, either directly or indirectly, which is inconsistent with the conscientious performance of governmental duties.

"VIII. Never use any information gained confidentially in the performance of governmental duties as a means of making a private profit.

"IX. Expose corruption wherever discovered.

"X. Uphold these principles, ever conscious that public office is a public trust."

So is Tom DeLay, since it's obvious (to normal people) that he didn't mean it literally.

When I was a LOT younger than I am now, at some point I pondered what percentage of the population was crazy. I figured maybe around 5%. As I got older, that number kept on creeping up, mostly due to my interaction with people who seemed irrational. But you know what, we can ALL be irrational from time to time. We can believe things that turn out to not be true. Hopefully, we learn something from that. Other times, perhaps we're emotionally invested in some idea (or person), and it turns out that because of our emotions, we can't see what others do. Hopefully, we learn something from that too.

But in the last 10 years or so, that number has skyrocketed in my estimation because I keep hearing people say crazy shit all the time. It wouldn't bother me if it was the random guy I might know. But a lot of the people I hear say crazy things are often powerful. They're in positions of responsibility. Now, even if I'm willing to consider the possibility that DeLay said what he said for effect, he did so with the belief that a certain segment of the population would welcome that statement because that's the kind of thing they believe.

The thing is this: If these people were just walking around with these beliefs, it would be no big deal. But that's not what's happening. These people are intent on putting their beliefs into practice. They want to move our country in essentially the same direction as Iran except they don't even see it that way at all, of course. To them, Iran is Godless, and even worse than Godless. To them, Iran has embraced a false God. In their eyes, an America based on the Bible would be the closest thing to the Kingdom of Heaven here on Earth. They can't even see the parallels. That's how blinded they are by their faith.

Frankly, these people scare me a little bit. The only reason I say a little bit is because they don't have the power to do what they want to do...yet. But they've been gaining ground over the last 30 years or so, and they're getting both bolder, and more outspoken as their foothold on the Republican Party has solidified. Slowly but surely they've made inroads into the whole Republican primary apparatus and process in states all across the country. And since a small percentage of voters are even involved in the primary process at all, the candidates tend to reflect the views of the people who do the choosing despite the fact that a majority of Americans don't share those views. So, after an election, should anyone be surprised when we here officials make the kind of statements we never used to hear politicians make in the past? The simple fact is that the candidates who end up getting elected are evidence that the religious right has an agenda for the country where they want to codify the Bible and the US Constitution together as if they were one and the same. I think that's scary because history has shown over and over again that a minority can seize power. The Nazis did. The Bolsheviks did before them. And even our own American revolution was not a widespread popular uprising.

People should read American Fascists by Chris Hedges some time for an eye-opener.

Keep something in mind. Even if YOU are a Christian, that doesn't mean that a government run by men who call themselves Christian will be a reflection of your values or even your particular denominational faith. It will be run by men, FALLIBLE men, who will have a LOT of power. And everyone knows what unchecked power can do to some people.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back