Torture, or whatever you want to call it, "justified" by majority

Bull shit. It was highly partisan because it was. Stop with the ding bat stuff. You don't even know enough to know you don't know anything.

Three "know"s in one sentence. Pretty impressive, huh?

Yeah, it can be called torture, but who cares? It damn well worked!

Ok. You're good at the name calling but weak on substance.

What did the report present that was wrong?
For starters that no useful intelligence was attained, which, like your posts, is BS.

What useful intelligence was gained that was not gained from other sources?
You would have to ask the CIA directors who claimed there was, something the Democrat committee failed to do.

You know, this is quickly becoming tiresome. While some posters seem to thrive on endless and ultimately pointless exchanges, I do not.

You claimed something. Now, apparently, it's too strenuous for you to support that claim. This seems to happen often. The CIA directors, when asked, seem unable to come up with anything clear and coherent. But then, they have the their own reputations at stake in relation to this rather damning report.
This is getting to the point of absurdity. You, and the public in general, are not in the loop. Do you honestly expect that kind of information to be divulged?

Coyote, please let it go if you can't come up with something substantive. It is now boring as well as pointless.

This was all before 9/11. You do realize that don't you? You can't just go in bomb a village in a sovereign nation based on an event that had not happened and hadn't even been concieved of as possible.

Duh...yeah, I know the timeline....it was after the embassy bombings and it was after the Cole bombing...bin Laden had declared war on the US...you do realize that don't you?

And Clinton bombed several targets...while the Republicans accused him of "hysteria"....in several other situations there was insufficient intelligence to act. snopes.com Clinton Administration and Terrorists

This sort of argument reminds me of those who claim Bush should have been able to prevent 9/11. Hindsight is great, but existing intelligence was not.

Torture, or whatever you want to call it, "justified" by majority of Americans.

New poll finds majority of Americans believe torture justified after 9 11 attacks - The Washington Post

By an almost 2-1 margin, or 59-to-31 percent, those interviewed support the CIA’s brutal methods, with the vast majority of supporters saying they produced valuable intelligence.

Just goes to show how fragile our rights and liberties are that fear, not rationality, would allow us to justify torture. Saying they "believed" it produced "valuable intelligence" is not the same as actually producing "valuable intelligence".

Never trust your rights to public opinion because some day you might be on the wrong side of it.
Using tactics creating fear and pain have been implemented in getting information from a detainee for hundreds, if not thousands of years.
If it didn't work, something tells me it would have been eliminated many years ago.

Oh yeah....but politicians with an agenda said they don't work.

So I guess they don't.

A lot of things have been since the dawn of humanity and persist. That doesn't mean they work (for the intended purpose).

New poll finds majority of Americans believe torture justified after 9 11 attacks - The Washington Post

By an almost 2-1 margin, or 59-to-31 percent, those interviewed support the CIA’s brutal methods, with the vast majority of supporters saying they produced valuable intelligence.

Just goes to show how fragile our rights and liberties are that fear, not rationality, would allow us to justify torture. Saying they "believed" it produced "valuable intelligence" is not the same as actually producing "valuable intelligence".

Never trust your rights to public opinion because some day you might be on the wrong side of it.
Using tactics creating fear and pain have been implemented in getting information from a detainee for hundreds, if not thousands of years.
If it didn't work, something tells me it would have been eliminated many years ago.

So I guess they don't.

A lot of things have been since the dawn of humanity and persist. That doesn't mean they work (for the intended purpose).

As in?

Ok. You're good at the name calling but weak on substance.

What did the report present that was wrong?
For starters that no useful intelligence was attained, which, like your posts, is BS.

What useful intelligence was gained that was not gained from other sources?
You would have to ask the CIA directors who claimed there was, something the Democrat committee failed to do.

You know, this is quickly becoming tiresome. While some posters seem to thrive on endless and ultimately pointless exchanges, I do not.

You claimed something. Now, apparently, it's too strenuous for you to support that claim. This seems to happen often. The CIA directors, when asked, seem unable to come up with anything clear and coherent. But then, they have the their own reputations at stake in relation to this rather damning report.
This is getting to the point of absurdity. You, and the public in general, are not in the loop. Do you honestly expect that kind of information to be divulged?

Coyote, please let it go if you can't come up with something substantive. It is now boring as well as pointless.

At this point, enough time has passed that I'm sure something concrete that was prevented or aided through torture could be divulged. What comes out in this report is a poorly managed, poorly run, unaccountable keystone-cops attempt at torture that was neither humerous nor lawful. I don't think what the CIA did is defensable. Even the Army counters it.

but I would have to destroy a little town called Kandahar in Afghanistan and kill 300 innocent women and children, and then I would have been no better than him.

HA! I knew you'd bite on that...fact of the matter was there were no "innocent women and children" anywhere near the convoy OBL was in.....just another story from the lying sack of shit known as Slick Willy.
link

So I guess they don't.

As in?

Enemas.

Pedophilia.

Slavery.

Eating spinach.

So I guess they don't.

Argumentum ad antiquitatem. Saying some practice is right because “it's always been done that way.” Or has been done that way for a long time. That is irrelevant as to whether it is right or not.

I want to thank The Rabbi again for posting this who said liberals use these debate tactics but so far I've been using them a lot on the other side. Weird projection huh

And Clinton bombed several targets...while the Republicans accused him of "hysteria"....in several other situations there was insufficient intelligence to act. snopes.com Clinton Administration and Terrorists

This sort of argument reminds me of those who claim Bush should have been able to prevent 9/11. Hindsight is great, but existing intelligence was not.

Snopes? You gotta be kidding...He lobbed several dozen cruise missiles ($1M each) at abandoned AQ camps to scare Monica out of testifying....we had plenty of signal and human intel from the Northern Alliance about bin-Laden and his whereabouts....Clinton CHOKED...he was useless.

That's the typical demand (usually posted in the form of a "ticking time bomb" and it is an unanswerable question because in real life (not hypothetical scenarios) - it isn't that clear cut at all.

It's been shown that torture isn't usually necessary to gain good information (Secret WWII camp interrogators say torture wasn t needed - CBS News nor does torture gain useful or accurate information. So if I choose to employ torture on an individual who might (or might not) have knowledge that could help save those children I *might* get useful information but - more likely, given what we've found about torture - I *might not*. In that case - valuable time and resources could be lost chasing a phantom and the children could end up dead anyway.

No I would not since there are other means at my disposal.

Stop tap-dancing: yes or no.

...if you could save the 80-90 children slaughtered by the savages, would you have acquiesced to the enhanced interrogations?

Read my last line - the answer is right there in English.

Now, here is my question and it's a more honest question:
...if you could save the 80-90 children slaughtered by the savages, and information could be gained either with or without torture but you couldn't be sure which would work - would you have acquiesced to torture?

So PoliticalChic - what is your answer?

"They burnt a teacher in front of the students in a classroom," the unnamed military source told the US TV network.

"They literally set the teacher on fire with gasoline and made the kids watch."

At least six militants entered the Pakistani school wearing security uniforms, before massacring an estimated 132 people and injuring another 122."
Peshawar school attack Taliban burn teacher alive in front of pupils and behead children

What kind of fool would draw any lines that would prevent stopping this?????

Raise your paw.

tell them the cops want their weapons because they are in fear and watch their faces as they slowly realize what they have been advocating for all this time

Ummm, Ok

You're drunk pretty early in the day

^^ Look at his face :rofl:...oh its the NSA spying debate all over again lol

"Hey what do you mean they are spying on US TOO?" Classic

Ummmm, cheap liquor?

I love it:
  1. Mockery. 1. Derision; ridicule. 2. An absurd misrepresentation or imitation of something. No facts or logic.
Intellectually honest and intellectually dishonest debate tactics

...if you could save the 80-90 children slaughtered by the savages, would you have acquiesced to the enhanced interrogations?

...if you could save the 80-90 children slaughtered by the savages, and information could be gained either with or without torture but you couldn't be sure which would work - would you have acquiesced to torture?

"They burnt a teacher in front of the students in a classroom," the unnamed military source told the US TV network.

At least six militants entered the Pakistani school wearing security uniforms, before massacring an estimated 132 people and injuring another 122."
Peshawar school attack Taliban burn teacher alive in front of pupils and behead children

Raise your paw.

You did not answer the question. Are you just going to keep deflecting?

In case you forgot:

It has nothing to do with what you are describing. This is hypothetical.

tell them the cops want their weapons because they are in fear and watch their faces as they slowly realize what they have been advocating for all this time

Ummm, Ok

Ummmm, cheap liquor?

I love it:
  1. Mockery. 1. Derision; ridicule. 2. An absurd misrepresentation or imitation of something. No facts or logic.

^^^^ mental masturbation.

Kids, don't try this at home

Raise your paw.

In case you forgot:

Raise your paw.

In case you forgot:

"....with or without torture...."

So you mean, without enhanced interrogation....(there was no torture)...

"The CIA’s “best interrogators were just breaking their lance against the guy,” one told me. Kiriakou was one of the first to question Zubaydah, in a secret prison near Bangkok. He hit a brick wall. Then orders came from Langley: waterboard him. After thirty-five seconds, Zubaydah crumpled. “It was like flipping a switch,: Kiriakou said. Miniter, “Mastermind,” p. 151-152.

So....if you "He hit a brick wall," would you use said techniques to save those children and their teacher????

Ummm, Ok

Ummmm, cheap liquor?

I love it:

^^^^ mental masturbation.

Kids, don't try this at home

Changing the subject
: debater is losing so he tries to redirect the attention of the audience to another subject area where he thinks he can look better relative to the person he is debating, but admits to no change of subject and pretends to be refuting the original on-subject statement of his opponent

Raise your paw.
While I pretty much have accepted that the U.S. tortures, I would like to hear from you how torture could have helped save any of those lives in Pakistan.

Raise your paw.

In case you forgot:

Raise your paw.

In case you forgot:

"....with or without torture...."

So you mean, without enhanced interrogation....(there was no torture)...

"The CIA’s “best interrogators were just breaking their lance against the guy,” one told me. Kiriakou was one of the first to question Zubaydah, in a secret prison near Bangkok. He hit a brick wall. Then orders came from Langley: waterboard him. After thirty-five seconds, Zubaydah crumpled. “It was like flipping a switch,: Kiriakou said. Miniter, “Mastermind,” p. 151-152.

So....if you "He hit a brick wall," would you use said techniques to save those children and their teacher????

Remember your statement about honesty? Do you have the guts?

Your own statement seems to be reflecting your tactic here:

In trying to dodge the question, you gave an answer with more twists and turns in that post than in Nadia Comaneci's floor routine!

Forum List

Back