šŸŒŸ Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! šŸŒŸ

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs šŸŽ

Trump broke the law to buy Ben Carson's endorsement. The crime is worth up to 2 years in prison

BULLDOG

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2014
Trump bought Carson's endorsement. The penalty for that is up to 2 years in prison. I wonder how right wingers are going to try to spin this.

Ben Carson: I Didnā€™t Want To Endorse Trump, But He Promised Me A Position

Dr. Ben Carson, who endorsed Donald Trumpā€™s presidential candidacy on Friday, appears less than enthusiastic about that decision. And the real reason the unsuccessful GOP presidential hopeful endorsed his former rival could be a violation of federal law.

Carson told the conservative online site NewsMax TV on Monday that he backed Trump based on a practical calculus.

ā€œI didnā€™t see a path for [John] Kasich, who I like, or for [Marco] Rubio, who I like. As far as [Ted] Cruz is concerned, I donā€™t think heā€™s gonna be able to draw independents and Democrats unless has has some kind of miraculous changeā€¦ Is there another scenario that I would have preferred? Yes. But that scenario isnā€™t available.ā€ Pressed to clarify, Carson said he meant heā€™d prefer to have backed one of the other candidates.

Carson then said that Trump had promised him a role in his administration, ā€œcertainly in an advisory capacity.ā€ Asked by NewsMaxā€™s Steve Malzberg whether this meant a cabinet position, Carson declined to ā€œreveal any details about it right now, because all of this is still very liquid.ā€

Federal law expressly prohibits candidates from directly or indirectly promising ā€œthe appointment of any person to any public or private position or employment, for the purpose of procuring support in his candidacy.ā€ The penalty for violations could include fines or a year in jail ā€” two years if the violation was willful.

Trump bought Carson's endorsement. The penalty for that is up to 2 years in prison. I wonder how right wingers are going to try to spin this.

Dr. Ben Carson, who endorsed Donald Trumpā€™s presidential candidacy on Friday, appears less than enthusiastic about that decision. And the real reason the unsuccessful GOP presidential hopeful endorsed his former rival could be a violation of federal law.

Carson told the conservative online site NewsMax TV on Monday that he backed Trump based on a practical calculus.

ā€œI didnā€™t see a path for [John] Kasich, who I like, or for [Marco] Rubio, who I like. As far as [Ted] Cruz is concerned, I donā€™t think heā€™s gonna be able to draw independents and Democrats unless has has some kind of miraculous changeā€¦ Is there another scenario that I would have preferred? Yes. But that scenario isnā€™t available.ā€ Pressed to clarify, Carson said he meant heā€™d prefer to have backed one of the other candidates.

Carson then said that Trump had promised him a role in his administration, ā€œcertainly in an advisory capacity.ā€ Asked by NewsMaxā€™s Steve Malzberg whether this meant a cabinet position, Carson declined to ā€œreveal any details about it right now, because all of this is still very liquid.ā€

Federal law expressly prohibits candidates from directly or indirectly promising ā€œthe appointment of any person to any public or private position or employment, for the purpose of procuring support in his candidacy.ā€ The penalty for violations could include fines or a year in jail ā€” two years if the violation was willful.
I won't vote for Trump, but that's the dumbest post yet against him. Trump can promise him anything in return for positions.

I won't vote for Trump, but that's the dumbest post yet against him. Trump can promise him anything in return for positions.

Federal law expressly prohibits candidates from directly or indirectly promising ā€œthe appointment of any person to any public or private position or employment, for the purpose of procuring support in his candidacy.ā€ The penalty for violations could include fines or a year in jail ā€” two years if the violation was willful

gotta go with;

And?

as in, And how is this different than any other election?

but it would be nice to see a law enforced

No doubt deals are made, but don't you think they should at least make a attempt to stay within the law?

Thinkprogress. :rofl:

It'd have more credibility if you told us you discovered this juicy tidbit scrawled on a bathroom wall in crayon.

If those dreams persist you might want to seek professional help before you injure yourself or someone else in your sleep.

Thinkprogress. :rofl:

It'd have more credibility if you told us you discovered this juicy tidbit scrawled on a bathroom wall in crayon.

Poisoning the Well fallacy. ^^

His link (the words "expressly prohibits" goes right to the text of the law, to wit:

Whoever, being a candidate, directly or indirectly promises or pledges the appointment, or the use of his influence or support for the appointment of any person to any public or private position or employment, for the purpose of procuring support in his candidacy shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than one year, or both; and if the violation was willful, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than two years, or both. --- 18 U.S. Code Ā§ 599 - Promise of appointment by candidate
IS it the law, or isn't it?

We do still have laws, do we not?

Federal law expressly prohibits candidates from directly or indirectly promising ā€œthe appointment of any person to any public or private position or employment, for the purpose of procuring support in his candidacy.ā€ The penalty for violations could include fines or a year in jail ā€” two years if the violation was willful
Oh and where is the indictment? Nothing to see here.

Of course he can.

It just isn't what we call "legal".

:cuckoo:

I seem to remember a certain democrat that had a seat up for sale.

I do too. He's in federal prison as we speak.

Soooooo..............................

Sure, He paid a big price for it, and his party didn't try to cover for him either.
Rod Blagojevich, former Governor of Illinois, is an American politician. He and his Chief of StaffJohn Harris were charged with corruption by federal prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald. As a result, Blagojevich was impeached by the Illinois General Assembly and removed from office by the Illinois Senate in January 2009. The federal investigation continued after his removal from office and he was indicted on corruption charges in April 2009

Forum List

Back