Trump denounced Obama-era nukes treaty in Putin call — but had to ask what the treaty was

From the Reuters article posted by TN Harley.............

In the phone call, the Russian leader raised the possibility of reviving talks on a range of disputes and suggested extending New START, the sources said.

New START can be extended for another five years, beyond 2021, by mutual agreement. Unless they agree to do that or negotiate new cuts, the world's two biggest nuclear powers would be freed from the treaty's limits, potentially setting the stage for a new arms race.

Exclusive: In call with Putin, Trump denounced Obama-era nuclear arms treaty - sources

The New START treaty already allowed for Russia to catch up on nukes. It is not a limiting or reduction treaty at all. Read about it.

If it isn't extended, then neither country has to abide by it and can start making as many more nukes as they want. The treaty keeps limits on it.

It was a bad deal for the US. Why do you assume a president knows everything? Since you are all knowing on this topic, please explain the benefits and pitfalls brummelbutt.
The benefits are a joint reduction of ICBM's to no more than 1550 to no more than and a reduction of submarine based and bomber dropped warheads, the pitfall is that there is concern that Russia won't honor the deal but there's this.
The Pentagon's "Report on the Strategic Nuclear Forces of the Russian Federation Pursuant to Section 1240 of the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2012" found that even if Russia did cheat and achieved a total surprise attack with a breakout force, it would have "little to no effect" on U.S. nuclear retaliatory capabilities.[66]
So I can't seem to find any real drawback and it doesn't change the fact that 3 sources confirmed that POTUS wasn't aware of a deal about nuclear weapons when calling with Russia the broad strokes of said deal are easily accessible. No deflecting can change that fact.New START - Wikipedia

From the Reuters article posted by TN Harley.............

In the phone call, the Russian leader raised the possibility of reviving talks on a range of disputes and suggested extending New START, the sources said.

New START can be extended for another five years, beyond 2021, by mutual agreement. Unless they agree to do that or negotiate new cuts, the world's two biggest nuclear powers would be freed from the treaty's limits, potentially setting the stage for a new arms race.

Exclusive: In call with Putin, Trump denounced Obama-era nuclear arms treaty - sources

The New START treaty already allowed for Russia to catch up on nukes. It is not a limiting or reduction treaty at all. Read about it.

If it isn't extended, then neither country has to abide by it and can start making as many more nukes as they want. The treaty keeps limits on it.

Sounds like we need a reductions treaty, not a how many you going to let me build treaty. :dunno:

The benefits are a joint reduction of ICBM's to no more than 1550 to no more than and a reduction of submarine based and bomber dropped warheads, the pitfall is that there is concern that Russia won't honor the deal but there's this.
The Pentagon's "Report on the Strategic Nuclear Forces of the Russian Federation Pursuant to Section 1240 of the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2012" found that even if Russia did cheat and achieved a total surprise attack with a breakout force, it would have "little to no effect" on U.S. nuclear retaliatory capabilities.[66]
So I can't seem to find any real drawback and it doesn't change the fact that 3 sources confirmed that POTUS wasn't aware of a deal about nuclear weapons when calling with Russia the broad strokes of said deal are easily accessible. No deflecting can't change that fact.

No deflection needed, I already cited a source that counters yours.

So I can't seem to find any real drawback and it doesn't change the fact that 3 sources confirmed that POTUS wasn't aware of a deal about nuclear weapons when calling with Russia the broad strokes of said deal are easily accessible. No deflecting can't change that fact.

No deflection needed, I already cited a source that counters yours.
What does it counter? You seem to argue that it's a bad deal because it's not far reaching enough. I argue that it's something which is more than nothing. And Trump argues it's a bad deal because....... well he'll come with something after he actually finds out what's in the deal. Argument 1 and 2 are debatable. Argument 3 is bullshit. Sadly enough number 3 is calling the shots, which I find not a little bit disconcerting.

In his first call as president with Russian leader Vladimir Putin, Donald Trump denounced a treaty that caps U.S. and Russian deployment of nuclear warheads as a bad deal for the United States, according to two U.S. officials and one former U.S. official with knowledge of the call.

When Putin raised the possibility of extending the 2010 treaty, known as New START, Trump paused to ask his aides in an aside what the treaty was, these sources said.

Trump then told Putin the treaty was one of several bad deals negotiated by the Obama administration, saying that New START favored Russia. Trump also talked about his own popularity, the sources said.

SO TRUMP DENOUNCES AN OBAMA TREATY WITHOUT KNOWING WHAT IT WAS
This is our President?

Wow, Trump listened to the people he hired to give him advice. What the ...

What does it counter? You seem to argue that it's a bad deal because it's not far reaching enough. I argue that it's something which is more than nothing. And Trump argues it's a bad deal because....... well he'll come with something after he actually finds out what's in the deal. Argument 1 and 2 are debatable. Argument 3 is bullshit. Sadly enough number 3 is calling the shots, which I find not a little bit disconcerting.

All it did was limit the number the Russians could build, we were already at that number. All of this presumes the Russians are honest and will not cheat. Congratulations you have a piece of paper that means little.

In his first call as president with Russian leader Vladimir Putin, Donald Trump denounced a treaty that caps U.S. and Russian deployment of nuclear warheads as a bad deal for the United States, according to two U.S. officials and one former U.S. official with knowledge of the call.

When Putin raised the possibility of extending the 2010 treaty, known as New START, Trump paused to ask his aides in an aside what the treaty was, these sources said.

Trump then told Putin the treaty was one of several bad deals negotiated by the Obama administration, saying that New START favored Russia. Trump also talked about his own popularity, the sources said.

This is our President?
I'm sorry. I didn't see your thread. Silly me, I figured it would be closer to the top of the board.

All it did was limit the number the Russians could build, we were already at that number. All of this presumes the Russians are honest and will not cheat. Congratulations you have a piece of paper that means little.
there is a missile gap

But if Trump doesn't extend it, it will result in a new arms race. Do you want that?

But if Trump doesn't extend it, it will result in a new arms race. Do you want that?
Trump doesn't even know what this treaty is about. He is supremely ignorant and lazy

News flash, there IS an arms race. How about we move forward with a reduction treaty, instead of wasting time with a limited grow treaty?

This is our President?

Fake-News-Key-Board-Computer-900-1.jpg

This is our President?

View attachment 111680
what part of FACTs do you find difficult to accept?

This is our President?

View attachment 111680

"According to 2nd hand rumors we heard"...is not facts.

This is our President?

View attachment 111680

where do you get second hand rumor?

Trump doesn't even know what this treaty is about. He is supremely ignorant and lazy

He did not know details and neither did you brummelbutt.
Yes he did not know the details before a call with the Russian President to discuss that very topic. The man is lazy and careless

You might want to read this:

Trump-Putin phone call discuss stabilizing ties, Kremlin says - CNNPolitics.com

Does not mention START as a topic, but refers to trade and several other topics. Perhaps you would have preferred he didn't ask anyone at all? The faux outrage is old but still funny.

This is our President?

View attachment 111680

where do you get second hand rumor?

Bill walks up to you and says...a guy I know over there said so and so...that is 2nd hand news.
When you go and tell someone else.."someone told me someone they know said this - is now third hand news."
ALL is unsubstantiated. Whenever you see the media say "according to...." is by definition, 2nd hand news.

Forum List

Back