Trump ends Michelle Obama's effort to fight child hood obesity.

you know when I was a kid I ate bologna on Wonder bread, chips, whole milk, a banana or apple and a couple Oreo cookies every day for school lunch and most kids had some semblance of the same and none of us were fat

We ate Frosted Flakes and Apple Jacks for breakfast with whole milk or even half and half, drank cherry Kool aid and none of us were fat

so tell me what's changed that so many kids are fat these days

and FYI it ain't what they eat for lunch

kids are fat because there is LOTS MORE REALLY DELIGHTFUL
food------all over the place at all times ------FOOD COURTS IN MALLS---
FOOD TRUCKS ------all kinds of food advertisements ----we live in a
FOOD CULTURE-----I watch cooking shows incessantly-----no one got
fat on JULIA CHILD recipes-------no one could reproduce them. Used
to be a big celebration or a LONG sporting event was accompanied by
a three ounce box of cracker jacks------now the snack counter serves
up foot long sausage sandwiches. I used to swim ALL DAY on the strength
of one bag of salty popcorn --two cents. No butter--that was three cents extra

so tell me what 10 year old can get himself to the mall and has unlimited funds to eat at all those places?

and just because things are offered does not mean people have to eat them right?

you know when I was a kid I ate bologna on Wonder bread, chips, whole milk, a banana or apple and a couple Oreo cookies every day for school lunch and most kids had some semblance of the same and none of us were fat

We ate Frosted Flakes and Apple Jacks for breakfast with whole milk or even half and half, drank cherry Kool aid and none of us were fat

so tell me what 10 year old can get himself to the mall and has unlimited funds to eat at all those places?

and just because things are offered does not mean people have to eat them right?

you have not been around-------lately ----going to the mall and hitting the
"FOOD COURT" is what people do------including mothers pushing
a stroller and schlepping a few kids. Adolescents meet their friends
there-------money in the pocket is a given-------along with cell phones and
electronic devices. --------ten year olds are there with mom-----

I walked to school, took a lunch from home, after school I was outside playing, mowing the lawn, bucking hay, feeding the farm animals, weeding the garden, picking strawberries, beans, cherries to make extra money.

The secret is I was always moving and doing something, I ate a lot of food because I was active. My parents wouldn't give us carbonated beverages very often, nor did we get a lot of candy. Great child life.

I walked to school-----carried lunch-----and threw it away -----I DESPISED
TUNA ON SOGGY WHOLE WHEAT. But I did drink the half pint of WHOLE
MILK

A good guess would be that 80% of school kids would prefer a bag of chips to a school lunch, now and always

This adminstration just doesn't stop, nor does it care. Childhood obesity and Type 2 diabetes is skyrocketing in this country. Parents should teach their kids good healthy eating habits, but it should also be reinforced in our public schools.

WASHINGTON – After only six days on the job, Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue moved to stall one of former First Lady Michelle Obama’s signature accomplishments: stricter nutritional standards for school breakfasts and lunches, which feed more than 31 million children.

Speaking at Catoctin Elementary School in Leesburg, Virginia, on Monday with Sen. Pat Roberts, R-Kansas, and Patricia Montague of the School Nutrition Association, Perdue announced that his department would be slowing the implementation of aggressive standards on sodium, whole grains and sweetened milks that passed under the Obama administration.

“We know meals cannot be nutritious if they’re not consumed, if they’re thrown out,” Perdue told reporters after eating chicken nuggets and salad with a group of fifth graders. “We have to balance sodium and whole grain content with palatability.”

It was the second blow to the Obama administration’s nutritional legacy in less than a week. On Friday, the Food and Drug Administration signaled its intent to rewrite long-delayed menu-labeling rules passed as part of the Affordable Care Act. Republicans on the House Appropriations Committee also attached several nutrition-related riders to this week’s appropriations bill, including one that targeted voluntary industry sodium-reductions.

“I feel that we have made such progress in schools meals over the past five years,” said Miriam Nelson, a public health researcher who helped advise Michelle Obama’s nutrition initiatives. “This progress has contributed to reversing the trend in childhood obesity rates nationwide . . . We want to continue the progress we have made.”

School lunches have seen a radical makeover in the past five years. Since 2012, when the nutrition rules mandated by the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act went into effect, cafeterias have had to slash the amount of calories, trans-fats, sodium and refined grains in their foods, replacing cafeteria staples like conventional pizza with salt-reduced, whole-grain versions. They are also required to serve fruit, a variety of vegetables, and low-fat or fat-free milk.
Trump ends Michelle Obama’s plan to fight childhood obesity – The Denver Post

Here is what the next generation of kindergardners will look like.

28156-fatkids.jpg
That literally happened in spite of what she did, because it didn't work.

The only age groups successfully fighting obesity are the boomers and millennials, and that is because we know what we should eat.

Wow, those lunches look awful, even worse from when I was a kid. I thought the idea was to get fresh fruit and vegetables in there or something? Where are all the fruits and veggies?
Often the kids were forced to take a fruit (not necessary very fresh). Many if not most of the kids would simply throw the fruit away in a trashcan simply feet away from the end of the lunch line.

In other news, pig farmers had a bigger supply of slop while Michelle Obama school lunches were in effect.

Pennsylvania School Lunch Improves, Makes Money After Dropping Michelle Obama’s Lunch Program | Weasel Zippers

#ThanksMichelleObama - Twitter Search
Looks like Michelle' lunch program was a huge failure. No surprise there.

Add this language to the OP title: Trump ends to modify Michelle Obama's FAILED "healthy" school lunch program.

It was an honorable effort, but it was a total failure. School lunches in the cafe always tasted awful to begin with and Michelle's program made them 10 fold worse.

Kids were not eating the food and tossing them out and snacking on candy and junk food to make up for it.

The previous school lunches were not the issue. It is kids lack of exercise and snacking on junk inbetween meals is the problem.

When kids don't eat there lunch they snack more. That is a fact.

I know for liberals effort is all that matters and results, even if they are an utter failure, means nothing. It is like the participation trophy.

Yeah, Michelle Obama looks like a real nutrition and fitness expert. Let's put her in charge of deciding what our kids should eat. The DOG is in better shape than she is.

obamamichelleobesefatdogwalking.jpg

Cheap and childish attack. Her effort was honorable, but da

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Yeah, Michelle Obama looks like a real nutrition and fitness expert. Let's put her in charge of deciding what our kids should eat. The DOG is in better shape than she is.

Oh the irony, when you take a look at Trump, who must be pushing 260+ pounds, and would make a good poster child for the Michelin man, Mr stay-puff, or the Goodyear blimp.

you have not been around-------lately ----going to the mall and hitting the
"FOOD COURT" is what people do------including mothers pushing
a stroller and schlepping a few kids. Adolescents meet their friends
there-------money in the pocket is a given-------along with cell phones and
electronic devices. --------ten year olds are there with mom-----
I have a feeling that more people don't go to malls than do

While I did like Michelle Obama's effort to promote healthier eating, it's not the goverments job to watch child obesity. That's the parents job. For me this is a rare instance where I think both Michelle Obama and President Trump have it right. Promote healthy eating, but there's nothing wrong with a slice pizza on occasion. The parents have to decide how much is enough.

This adminstration just doesn't stop, nor does it care. Childhood obesity and Type 2 diabetes is skyrocketing in this country. Parents should teach their kids good healthy eating habits, but it should also be reinforced in our public schools.

WASHINGTON – After only six days on the job, Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue moved to stall one of former First Lady Michelle Obama’s signature accomplishments: stricter nutritional standards for school breakfasts and lunches, which feed more than 31 million children.

Speaking at Catoctin Elementary School in Leesburg, Virginia, on Monday with Sen. Pat Roberts, R-Kansas, and Patricia Montague of the School Nutrition Association, Perdue announced that his department would be slowing the implementation of aggressive standards on sodium, whole grains and sweetened milks that passed under the Obama administration.

“We know meals cannot be nutritious if they’re not consumed, if they’re thrown out,” Perdue told reporters after eating chicken nuggets and salad with a group of fifth graders. “We have to balance sodium and whole grain content with palatability.”

It was the second blow to the Obama administration’s nutritional legacy in less than a week. On Friday, the Food and Drug Administration signaled its intent to rewrite long-delayed menu-labeling rules passed as part of the Affordable Care Act. Republicans on the House Appropriations Committee also attached several nutrition-related riders to this week’s appropriations bill, including one that targeted voluntary industry sodium-reductions.

“I feel that we have made such progress in schools meals over the past five years,” said Miriam Nelson, a public health researcher who helped advise Michelle Obama’s nutrition initiatives. “This progress has contributed to reversing the trend in childhood obesity rates nationwide . . . We want to continue the progress we have made.”

School lunches have seen a radical makeover in the past five years. Since 2012, when the nutrition rules mandated by the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act went into effect, cafeterias have had to slash the amount of calories, trans-fats, sodium and refined grains in their foods, replacing cafeteria staples like conventional pizza with salt-reduced, whole-grain versions. They are also required to serve fruit, a variety of vegetables, and low-fat or fat-free milk.
Trump ends Michelle Obama’s plan to fight childhood obesity – The Denver Post

Here is what the next generation of kindergardners will look like.

28156-fatkids.jpg

First of all, nobody was eating this crap. It was getting thrown in the garbage. Second, the federal government has no authority to even be involved in this. This is a parental responsibility. I really don't get what it is about people like you who think every decision in your life must emanate from a bureaucrat in Washington DC.

Oh the irony, when you take a look at Trump, who must be pushing 260+ pounds, and would make a good poster child for the Michelin man, Mr stay-puff, or the Goodyear blimp.
Except that Trump isn't trying to force everyone to make their kids eat what he thinks they should eat, even though he himself would not touch the crap.

The program was STUPID.

KIDS HATED IT.

THE PROGRAM IS GONE.

Now we have lots of kids who will remember their shit lunches when the DEMS were running things.

What the hell gives the first bitch the power in the first place? She took fried chicken away from the Marine Corp. When and what law or mandate gave first bitch the right to do that?

And with that destroyed any hope her putative "husband" had with the black military.

Forum List

Back