Trump golfs?

From the story:
The reported 18 holes of golf, however, directly contradicts how White House spokeswoman Sarah Huckabee Sanders described Trump's visit to the golf course during a briefing with reporters on Sunday.

"I know he played a couple of holes this morning but I am not going to disclose any of the others that were there," Sanders said, adding that Trump also "played a couple" on Saturday, as well.

Confronted by McIlroy's comments about playing 18 holes with the President, Sanders said the President "intended to play a few holes and decided to play longer."​

Here again we have an example of Trump and his Administration's deciduous relationship with the truth, a meager bond that agitates moral concern that there be in play procrustean impetus. And to what end?

So he played a full round of golf. The man's entitled to "have a life" when the opportunity presents itself. He's a principal, and within apparent reason, that means he gets to decide when he's free to recreate and when he's not. That's the way executive discretion works. I think the same of any principal, be the in public office or in the private sector.

My complaint derives from Sanders having created a situation whereby she later had to "spin" her earlier answer, and she really didn't have to do that. She could from the start just said, "Yes, he played a game of golf today." It's a direct declarative statement that needs no explanation.

There was no reason to say "a couple holes," especially not when he played 18 of them. A couple is by definition two, whereas eighteen is far more. Maybe, not likely but maybe, she didn't know Trump played 18 holes. If that was the case, replying, "His plan was to play a couple holes, but I don't know if that's what he did. Let me confirm what happened and get back to you," would have been just fine. It's simple. It's 100% honest and accurate. It's complete. Nobody expects more than that, and, quite frankly, that is what most people give and receive, but not Trump and his people. Why?

And before the zealots start in with their relativism, the problem isn't that Trump or his team "misspeak" occasionally. The issue is that they do it all day daily. They "misspeak" like a f*cking fish drinks water. That's the problem because one cannot trust that a damn thing they say -- major or minor -- is so. We're talking the Presidency, not Romper Room.
The initial reaction of Team Trump is to lie about what might not be comfortable for Trump

When caught in the lie..... The spin starts

What could be uncomfortable for Trump about stating that he played a game of golf?

When I worked full time, when I wanted to take some time to myself, I just told my colleagues/clients that I was doing so and that was that. That's why I wrote what I did about principals. A President has the same degree of discretion as any other principal. He need not justify, explain or apologize for his decisions about how and when he wants to take some time to relax. If something comes up that interrupts his recreation, well it does, and he'll have to deal with it. There's no tenured principal who not had that happen. It is what it is. It comes with the territory.
I have no problem with what a president does in his leisure time

I do have a problem with a president who repeatedly criticized the previous president and then hits the links as soon as he is sworn in

I do have a problem with his staff lying for him

Last edited:
From the story:
The reported 18 holes of golf, however, directly contradicts how White House spokeswoman Sarah Huckabee Sanders described Trump's visit to the golf course during a briefing with reporters on Sunday.

"I know he played a couple of holes this morning but I am not going to disclose any of the others that were there," Sanders said, adding that Trump also "played a couple" on Saturday, as well.

Confronted by McIlroy's comments about playing 18 holes with the President, Sanders said the President "intended to play a few holes and decided to play longer."​

Here again we have an example of Trump and his Administration's deciduous relationship with the truth, a meager bond that agitates moral concern that there be in play procrustean impetus. And to what end?

So he played a full round of golf. The man's entitled to "have a life" when the opportunity presents itself. He's a principal, and within apparent reason, that means he gets to decide when he's free to recreate and when he's not. That's the way executive discretion works. I think the same of any principal, be the in public office or in the private sector.

My complaint derives from Sanders having created a situation whereby she later had to "spin" her earlier answer, and she really didn't have to do that. She could from the start just said, "Yes, he played a game of golf today." It's a direct declarative statement that needs no explanation.

There was no reason to say "a couple holes," especially not when he played 18 of them. A couple is by definition two, whereas eighteen is far more. Maybe, not likely but maybe, she didn't know Trump played 18 holes. If that was the case, replying, "His plan was to play a couple holes, but I don't know if that's what he did. Let me confirm what happened and get back to you," would have been just fine. It's simple. It's 100% honest and accurate. It's complete. Nobody expects more than that, and, quite frankly, that is what most people give and receive, but not Trump and his people. Why?

And before the zealots start in with their relativism, the problem isn't that Trump or his team "misspeak" occasionally. The issue is that they do it all day daily. They "misspeak" like a f*cking fish drinks water. That's the problem because one cannot trust that a damn thing they say -- major or minor -- is so. We're talking the Presidency, not Romper Room.
The initial reaction of Team Trump is to lie about what might not be comfortable for Trump

When caught in the lie..... The spin starts

What could be uncomfortable for Trump about stating that he played a game of golf?

When I worked full time, when I wanted to take some time to myself, I just told my colleagues/clients that I was doing so and that was that. That's why I wrote what I did about principals. A President has the same degree of discretion as any other principal. He need not justify, explain or apologize for his decisions about how and when he wants to take some time to relax. If something comes up that interrupts his recreation, well it does, and he'll have to deal with it. There's no tenured principal who not had that happen. It is what it is. It comes with the territory.
I have no problem with what a president does in his let's sure time

I do have a problem with a president who repeatedly criticized the previous president and then hits the links as soon as he is sworn in

Maybe the guy just wants some privacy. You ever think of that? Do we really need to know when our president is playing golf? Who gives a shit?

I have no problem with what a president does in his let's sure time

Ditto...I think. ("let's sure time?" Jocular formulation to replace "leisure?" Not sure I get the humor, but I know the humor is lost by explaining it, so you don't need to explain it. Maybe one day it'll register and I'll then laugh....)

In principle I do, but in practice and at this moment in time, I don't. That can change over time.

Absolutely. Actually, why they lie doesn't really matter to me. That they do is the issue.

Maybe the guy just wants some privacy.
  1. He's the POTUS, so he should get over that if indeed he wants it. Frankly, given his neverending quest for others' approbation, it's hard to imagine him wanting privacy. Secrecy seems what he wants lot of.
  2. He golfed with three others. How much privacy could he have thought he was getting?

Do we really need to know when our president is playing golf?

It's not that we need to know. It's that when asked, Sanders lied about it rather than simply telling the truth. The game was over by the time she was asked, so whatever privacy Trump may have wanted during the game either happened or didn't. Someone's asking Sanders about it, and were Sanders to have answered honestly and accurately, wouldn't have altered that fact.

Did not care that Obama played golf. and don't care if trump plays golf. two things do bother me. #1 has not been that long that here on this site lots of complaints about Our money being spent on Obama. #2 with the detail on Trump towers for his wife, and every weekend in Florida. plus security for two sons doing Trump business over seas. costs running close to 50 million in 3 months. and not a peep from any one. but lots of justification for him playing golf today.

Donald Trump's aides don't want to admit the President is golfing - CNNPolitics.com

Trump aids hide the fact that he has been golfing every weekend

When Obama was president, Trump claimed he would be too busy for golf

Obama did not play his first round until April

Trump said that because that's what political foes/enemies do to each other, what's the problem?
Trump wasn't a political foe or enemy back then. He was a businessman working in the private sector.

From the story:

No, there was a reason she lied and tried to cover up the fact that Trump played 18 holes....

To avoid Trump from looking like a hypocrite after attacking Obama for play gold and to avoid painting him as a liar for saying he wouldn't play golf if he were president.

We need to wait and see if Trump plays at inappropriate times like Obama did.
Well he's played six rounds in his first month. At this rate, he'll pass Obama before he fills Scalia's seat.

Stimulus failed with what it was intended to do, which was keep UE under 8%, rightwinger it was long after the money being spent where UE started to decline
The stimulus was not going to keep the unemployment rate under 8% when the unemployment rate was already about 8% when the stimulus went into effect.

1. He's the POTUS, so he should get over that if indeed he wants it. Frankly, given his neverending quest for others' approbation, it's hard to imagine him wanting privacy. Secrecy seems what he wants lot of.
  2. He golfed with three others. How much privacy could he have thought he was getting?

It's not that we need to know. It's that when asked, Sanders lied about it rather than simply telling the truth. The game was over by the time she was asked, so whatever privacy Trump may have wanted during the game either happened or didn't. Someone's asking Sanders about it, and were Sanders to have answered honestly and accurately, wouldn't have altered that fact.

Whateves I just don't think it's that big a deal. I don't need to know everytime he plays gol
Stimulus failed with what it was intended to do, which was keep UE under 8%, rightwinger it was long after the money being spent where UE started to decline
The stimulus was not going to keep the unemployment rate under 8% when the unemployment rate was already about 8% when the stimulus went into effect.

It failed by its own metric. Obama said it would bring UE under 8%, not me.

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/artic...t-failures-from-president-obamas-stimulus-law

Whateves I just don't think it's that big a deal. I don't need to know everytime he plays gol

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/artic...t-failures-from-president-obamas-stimulus-law
Not at all. That was the estimate he put out based on the unemployment rate in 2008. By the the end of February, shortly after it went into effect, the unemployment rate was already 8.3%. There was no expectation at that point that his newly enacted stimulus plan would keep unemployment under the rate it had already surpassed.

Donald Trump's aides don't want to admit the President is golfing - CNNPolitics.com

Trump said that because that's what political foes/enemies do to each other, what's the problem?
Trump wasn't a political foe or enemy back then. He was a businessman working in the private sector.

This is what I was replying to
"When Obama was president, Trump claimed he would be too busy for golf"

Yeah, so?

Yeah, so?
No so.

Yeah, so?
No so.
coffeepaper.gif

Yeah, so?
No so.
coffeepaper.gif
:piss2:
coffeepaper.gif

Last edited:
From the story:

No, there was a reason she lied and tried to cover up the fact that Trump played 18 holes....

To avoid Trump from looking like a hypocrite after attacking Obama for play gold and to avoid painting him as a liar for saying he wouldn't play golf if he were president.

To avoid Trump from looking like a hypocrite after attacking Obama for play gold

I suppose that's possible, but good lord, are the really that childish? More importantly, are they really that stupid? I know Trump's just a mediocre businessman -- don't conflate/equate wealth with skill...good businessmen are nearly all well off, but not all well of businessmen are particularly good businessmen...examples of that abound in every American community -- but even Trump can't possibly be that lame a strategist. Can he?

Let me explain. To tell the truth and face in response charges of hypocrisy is to create for oneself/Trump a political opportunity, and one that Trump truly needs right now. How so, you may ask. By making for an organic reason to extol the actual progress and achievements one has thus far made. In such situations, one doesn't appear the self-aggrandizing egoist; moreover, insofar as it is the press to whom one will have responded, one can rest assured that they will proceed with all deliberate haste to talk about one's achievements and the attendant argument for their merit. At that point, one then has the press -- member of it, but clearly not all of them -- singing one's praises rather than one having boorishly to do it oneself.

So you see, the opportunity missed was that of being able to take a totally inconsequential question about a goddamned golf game and converting it into a vehicle that advances positively one's substantive and legitimate message. No really good CEO would have missed that; neither would his key staff. Why? Because, as my father used to say, "The best leaders play chess."

I don't think the matter of his playing golf or not is a big deal and I too don't feel a need to know when he does, save perhaps if he does so much that the important stuff gets subordinated to his casual pursuits. The lie is the thing that bothers me, not the golf. Indeed, as I've expressed, my issue in this matter is with Sanders' handling of the question, not with Trump for playing golf.

Whateves I just don't think it's that big a deal.

How not "a big deal" do you truly think it is? You're participating in this discussion, after all....Surely that makes it and your related thoughts a big enough deal to remark upon it.....

Forum List

Back