Trump Photo of Bullet Whizzing by - It is VERY UNUSUAL for a photographer to use 1/8000 shutter speed @ 30 FPS in broad daylight.

excalibur

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2015
When I first encountered the photo of the bullet passing by Trump, and posted it here days ago, something struck me as odd.

Now, I am not a photographic expert by any means, but it struck me as that had to be a special speed on a camera to catch that bullet.

And now others have raised the issue, why indeed would you have it [your camera] set at 1/8000 @30 FPS to be taking pictures at a rally in the daytime?

you can hear a bullitt break the sound barrier when its close enough
But in most cases when you hear it, it's to late.

When I first encountered the photo of the bullet passing by Trump, and posted it here days ago, something struck me as odd.
Now, I am not a photographic expert by any means, but it struck me as that had to be a special speed on a camera to catch that bullet.
And now others have raised the issue, why indeed would you have it [your camera] set at 1/8000 @30 FPS to be taking pictures at a rally in the daytime?

Actually, considering the velocity of an AR bullet fired 400 feet, it would take a shutter speed of 1/4000th of a second to freeze the bullet trail at about 9.6 inches, which is about what the photo shows and this is about the correct shutter speed a photographer would use in bright afternoon light to assure getting clear, sharp pictures of live action targets on stage.

I'm pretty sure that's HD digital, not film. A digital "shutter" is different from a film camera shutter.

When shooting wide open which would be the case here, you have to compensate by increasing shutter speed.

Good point!

But if the bullet was photoshopped into the picture, it would have been done accurately according to bullet speed and shutter time.

I'm no longer an amateur photographer but I sort of recollect that 1/500 or 1/1000 would be good on getting some depth of field.

D. of. f is something that can determine shutter speed!

Almost like he expected for such a thing to happen?

The same reason all the major networks were covering the Trump rally when none had any real interest to do so beforehand

Funny that.

I said it immediately after that picture went online... that isnt the bullet. Its disintregrated flesh and blood, and probably some vapor too that flew in the wake of the bullet.

Actually, considering the velocity of an AR bullet fired 400 feet, it would take a shutter speed of 1/4000th of a second to freeze the bullet trail at about 9.6 inches, which is about what the photo shows and this is about the correct shutter speed a photographer would use in bright afternoon light to assure getting clear, sharp pictures of live action targets on stage.

He said he had it set at 1/8000.

Ironic, your usage of 'live action targets'.

Probably not unusual, liberals are always seeking the most unflattering pictures of Trump possible. It is all about trying to create a negative image with still shots that aren't subject to context or reality.

I was preparing to reach out to the photographer. Hunting and pecking online, I found New York Times quoting the shutter speed at 1/8000th of second.

Am not suggesting anything at all. Just as a war correspondent…I never cranked shutter that high even for anything. I wanted to keep ISO lower. Other professionals choose other settings.

Good point!

But if the bullet was photoshopped into the picture, it would have been done accurately according to bullet speed and shutter time.

I'm no longer an amateur photographer but I sort of recollect that 1/500 or 1/1000 would be good on getting some depth of field.

D. of. f is something that can determine shutter speed!
I'm a reloader. Most of my .223 rnds travel in the range of 2700 per second
1100 ft per sec is the sound barrier

From the NY Times itself.

Mr. Mills was using a Sony digital camera capable of capturing images at up to 30 frames per second. He took these photos with a shutter speed of 1/8,000th of a second — extremely fast by industry standards.

My observation is that the bullet is not in the photo.

What we see is the vapor trail of blood from Trump's ear, vaporized and visible in the bright sunlight.

A more interesting observation to me is the flat trajectory of the bullet that was supposedly fired from the top of a roof.

My observation is that the bullet is not in the photo.

What we see is the vapor trail of blood from Trump's ear, vaporized and visible in the bright sunlight.

A more interesting observation to me is the flat trajectory of the bullet that was supposedly fired from the top of a roof.

NY Times and experts disagree.

Forum List

Back