Trump pushed postmaster general to double Amazon's shipping rates

The Toxic Orange Turd has officially become more Nixonian than Nixon himself. Wonder if he has an Enemies List?

President Trump followed through on his frequent complaint that Amazon is costing the U.S. Postal Service "many billions of dollars" by urging the postmaster general to double the rate the U.S. Postal Service charges Amazon and other companies to ship their packages, the Washington Post reported Friday.

Citing three sources familiar with the conversations between U.S. Postmaster General Megan Brennan and President Trump, the Post also reported that Brennan has not acceded to the president's wishes for several reasons. For one, the Postal Service has binding contracts with these companies, and a regulatory commission would have to review those contracts. But she has also reportedly told Mr. Trump that the USPS relationship with Amazon is beneficial. In 2017, Postal Service revenues from private shippers including Amazon added up to $7 billion, Politifact noted.

If the rates were doubled, it would cost Amazon and private shippers billions, which would likely be passed on in the form of higher prices for shoppers.

The Post's sources said that Brennan and Mr. Trump have met on this issue several times beginning in 2017 and also had a meeting on it four months ago -- none of which appeared on Mr. Trump's public schedule.​

Trump has pushed postmaster general to double Amazon's shipping rates, report says

Apparently Trumpelthinskin is not only angry about WaPo's honest coverage of his presiduncey - Bezos suggested launching him into space ... a VERY fine idea! :)

Jeff Bezos on Twitter

Is it fair that a big business like Amazon gets discounted rates, while we have to pay double or triple the cost to ship the same package?
First, you do not pay double or triple their price....their shipping bulk discount is about 10% - 20%.

And YES it is normal business practice to give bulk discounts......the more you buy, the more you save....Is common practice in capitalism.

Also, Amazon does not pay the shipping cost....You, the consumer pays it, even with so called "free shipping" the shipping costs are incorporated in to the price of the product.
It is odd to have a conservative that does not understand how business works.

I do not understand the ramifications

The Toxic Orange Turd has officially become more Nixonian than Nixon himself. Wonder if he has an Enemies List?

President Trump followed through on his frequent complaint that Amazon is costing the U.S. Postal Service "many billions of dollars" by urging the postmaster general to double the rate the U.S. Postal Service charges Amazon and other companies to ship their packages, the Washington Post reported Friday.

Citing three sources familiar with the conversations between U.S. Postmaster General Megan Brennan and President Trump, the Post also reported that Brennan has not acceded to the president's wishes for several reasons. For one, the Postal Service has binding contracts with these companies, and a regulatory commission would have to review those contracts. But she has also reportedly told Mr. Trump that the USPS relationship with Amazon is beneficial. In 2017, Postal Service revenues from private shippers including Amazon added up to $7 billion, Politifact noted.

If the rates were doubled, it would cost Amazon and private shippers billions, which would likely be passed on in the form of higher prices for shoppers.

The Post's sources said that Brennan and Mr. Trump have met on this issue several times beginning in 2017 and also had a meeting on it four months ago -- none of which appeared on Mr. Trump's public schedule.​

Trump has pushed postmaster general to double Amazon's shipping rates, report says

Apparently Trumpelthinskin is not only angry about WaPo's honest coverage of his presiduncey - Bezos suggested launching him into space ... a VERY fine idea! :)

Jeff Bezos on Twitter

Is it fair that a big business like Amazon gets discounted rates, while we have to pay double or triple the cost to ship the same package?

Yes it is. Because shippers like Amazon are able to bulk package shipments destined for the last mile sorting facility.

Trump is attempting to use his presidential to pursue a personal vendetta against a private entity, and not a single conservative is upset at this abuse?

Trump is attempting to use his presidential to pursue a personal vendetta against a private entity, and not a single conservative is upset at this abuse?

why would Trump have a personal vendetta against
Amazon

Jeff Bezos on Twitter

First, you do not pay double or triple their price....their shipping bulk discount is about 10% - 20%.

And YES it is normal business practice to give bulk discounts......the more you buy, the more you save....Is common practice in capitalism.

Also, Amazon does not pay the shipping cost....You, the consumer pays it, even with so called "free shipping" the shipping costs are incorporated in to the price of the product.
It is odd to have a conservative that does not understand how business works.

The sheer DERPitude in this thread boggles the mind. ;-)

Good. In effect the TAXPAYERS are subsidizing Amazon, and Jeff Bezos, the richest man in the world. Yeah, that's fair.
How?

It is a negotiated contract, like any other business contract. No subsidies involved.

So the USPS either breaks even, or makes a profit, huh?

USPS receives no tax dollar funding. How are taxpayers subsidizing Amazon?

Top twelve things you should know | Postal Facts - U.S. Postal Service

[

But as Robert Shapiro—former Treasury undersecretary and chairman of the economic consultancy Sonecon—points out in a new analysis, American taxpayers subsidize the USPS at a rate that surpasses the costs associated with any Congressional mandate. He estimates that, all told, the subsidies and legal monopolies that Congress bestows upon the post office is worth $18 billion annually.

Maybe stop being such an anti Trump HACK. Of course the USPS will say they don't receive tax dollars, but yet they run a deficit every year. Then how do they operate?

American taxpayers give an $18 billion gift to the post office every year

Good. In effect the TAXPAYERS are subsidizing Amazon, and Jeff Bezos, the richest man in the world. Yeah, that's fair.

You're going to have to prove that statement because everyone who knows that the US Post Office doesn't get one penny from the federal government.

The republicans made sure of that in the 20th century.

So no one is subsidizing Amazon. Amazon is paying their own way. Just like everyone else who uses the Post Office.

Stop lying.

Amazon

Why Trump really hates Amazon, according to Jimmy Kimmel

There are a number of reasons. The above article suggests it is because Bezos is an actual billionaire...which given Trumps personality would not surprise me.

Also...because Bezos owns the Washington Post, which has been critical of the President ....
Donald Trump's Twitter Obsession with Amazon, Explained

And this one...
Trump hates Amazon, not Facebook

Here is the issue...Amazon is the product of natural evolution of the free market system. His complaint that it puts mom and pop stores out of business is true to a certain extent, but it ignores the fact they were already hit hard by the advent of shopping malls and big box stores.

It is a personal vendetta because he ignores the huge conglomerates that are favorable for/to him, such as FB, certain media entities and he focus solely on Amazon.

How is it it not a personal vendetta when one is singled out like that? It isn’t a policy matter it has become a personal one.

Now I do agree with one thing...but the president ignores it, some of these companies seem dangerously close to monopolies and far too much media is in the hands of too few people. Take a look at the overall problem and it isn’t personal, single out one repetitively and it is. A president should not be attacking private entities or citizens in this way. It is an abuse of power.

[

But as Robert Shapiro—former Treasury undersecretary and chairman of the economic consultancy Sonecon—points out in a new analysis, American taxpayers subsidize the USPS at a rate that surpasses the costs associated with any Congressional mandate. He estimates that, all told, the subsidies and legal monopolies that Congress bestows upon the post office is worth $18 billion annually.

Maybe stop being such an anti Trump HACK. Of course the USPS will say they don't receive tax dollars, but yet they run a deficit every year. Then how do they operate?

American taxpayers give an $18 billion gift to the post office every year
Stop being such a pro-Trump hack. The post office receives no tax dollars.

that bill was co-sponsored by democrats....and obama and co sure as hell did nothing about it....

Congress passed the Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act in 2006 and it was signed by President Bush. Obama had nothing to do with it.
yea no shit,and obama who told our union how important we are sure as hell did not do much in getting rid of that bill did he?....talk is cheap....

Amazon

His vendetta is against Bezos.

Bezos owns the Washington Post. A newspaper that prints truths about trump that trump doesn't like.

That's why he's doing all of this.

The thing is he's not hurting Bezos. If he gets postal rates increased everyone pays more. It won't be just on Amazon. It will be on everyone.

So trump is hurting the whole nation because he doesn't like Jeff Bezos.

Can he be more immature and hateful?

We shouldn't have any leader who does such things. He's supposed to be working FOR us NOT against us.

I for one hope he succeeds. I absolutely hate - hate when UPS joins up with the postal service to deliver packages.
If it stays with UPS, you get the package on time well over 90% of the time...but if the USPS so much as touches the package it delays it by at least a couple days if not longer, and there is no guaranteed date - only "arrive on or before date".
So we have dramatically reduced online shopping because of it. If I am buying something worth several hundred dollars I want to know exactly what day it will be on my front porch.

Try Amazon Prime. It's a hundred bucks a year and worth every penny.
I buy everything on Amazon but groceries and it's on my porch 2 days later .. most of the time via USPS.
USPS is even delivering Amazon stuff on Sundays now at least where I live.

"At least where I live"...that is the thing.
In major cities, or smaller towns very close to a major city, the service is undoubtedly better.
But that is not the case in more rural settings like mine.
UPS is outstanding here, Fedex is pretty good....USPS parcel is hit and miss to say the least.
And I have had Prime for years. It isn't any better. For a while Prime was "UPS only"...and you're right several items are 2 day guaranteed and they always use UPS exclusively for those. All the rest is the problem.
I live in the middle of nowhere and get my packages in 2 days or less

my impression of the Washington Post -----based on having
read articles printed therein-----is-----that ....... it stinks

Forum List

Back