Trump says foreign college graduates should automatically get green cards

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Trump is floating a policy that foreign students who come here for college and graduate with a degree should automatically receive a green card upon graduation. I’m curious what Trump’s supporters think about this proposal.

Only if they get a job.

If they're living on welfare, send them back. :p

Trump is floating a policy that foreign students who come here for college and graduate with a degree should automatically receive a green card upon graduation. I’m curious what Trump’s supporters think about this proposal.

I think bringing in smart immigrants makes total sense.

After remembering that terrorist professor and his students were a terrorist cell, not a good idea.

Geez, the 9/11 dudes fit that profile.

Bad idea: every jihadist who conducted a lethal attack inside the United States since 9/11 was a citizen or legal resident except one who was in the United States as part of the U.S.-Saudi military training partnership. Some have graduated from U.S. colleges and most legal residents with green cards.

What is wrong with this picture? Why is Trump doing this? This is similar to handing out Green Cards to illegals.

Let's be honest.. this is why them Silicon Valley executives gave Trump all the big $$$$.. Did you really believe they were switching parties because of any other reason?

Trump, if you are reading this... You are very close to losing my vote.

(Reuters) -Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump on Thursday suggested that people who graduate from college in the United States should "automatically" get a green card to be able to stay in the country.

"You graduate from a college, I think you should get automatically as part of your diploma a green card to be able to stay in this country and that includes junior colleges too," Trump said on the All-In podcast hosted by tech investors.

This is not a terrible idea. It’s stupid that we spend money educating foreign students and then kick them out of the country.

I'm actually good with it because it's actually showing that they care about studying and working hard to be successful and don't just expect to get something for nothing.

What is wrong with this picture? Why is Trump doing this? This is similar to handing out Green Cards to illegals.

Let's be honest.. this is why them Silicon Valley executives gave Trump all the big $$$$.. Did you really believe they were switching parties because of any other reason?

(Reuters) -Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump on Thursday suggested that people who graduate from college in the United States should "automatically" get a green card to be able to stay in the country.

"You graduate from a college, I think you should get automatically as part of your diploma a green card to be able to stay in this country and that includes junior colleges too," Trump said on the All-In podcast hosted by tech investors.

I disagree. Its not a particularly bad idea.

Lots of people send their kids here to get educated and then bring them back to their home country to reap the benefits of that education. An automatic greencard would encourage those young people to stay and let the US reap the benefits of their education.

There would need to be plenty worked out, but as a broad stroke policy, its not bad.

Were it STEM grads, I could somewhat see the utility....But with the idiotic degrees that are being dealt out today, no fuckin' way.

Last edited:
This is not a terrible idea. It’s stupid that we spend money educating foreign students and then kick them out of the country.

In fairness, we charge foreign students WAY more to go to school here. They pay their way.

But with the rest of it, I agree.

Ahh that would be great...

So all these foreign students come in and get the best jobs with no student debt. They will rise up through the companies and get the best salaries.

Next all the top jobs will be held by foreigners and the US Citizens can be the more working class jobs, now where can we see something going wrong with that?

Mean while the rest of the world is bringing in workers who are doing jobs locals don't want to do... Trump wants to bring in people to take the jobs Americans want to do...

Because American universities are known for their patriotic education these days?
I know, that is why I qualified my statement. I do think that anybody should come to the USA legally, if we had a nice high school education they could take and graduate from, in the English language. We would also need very inexpensive housing in the big cities and industrial centers. We would also have to bring a substantial amount of manufacturing back to the USA as well.

Forum List

Back