Trump shafts the coal country Trumpbots.

When coal companies go bankrupt, the mining doesn't always stop
coal_dozer_getty.jpg

The largest pillar of the coal industry has now fallen. In filing for bankruptcy last week, Peabody Energy joined Arch Coal, Patriot Coal, Walter Energy and Alpha Natural Resources among the largest coal mining companies recently facing this fate.

Coal emits more air pollutants and climate warming gases than any other fossil fuel, and its mining can devastate local ecosystems and watersheds. Curtailing the amounts of coal mined and burned would thus yield a myriad of benefits for the environment and health.

However, the road to bankruptcy court doesn't necessarily mark the path to a sustainable energy future. It is time to think afresh about how the environment and health can be considered in coal bankruptcies.

Like most of its peers, Peabody chose Chapter 11 for its bankruptcy filing. Unlike a Chapter 7 liquidation, Chapter 11 allows a company to continue operating while it manages its debts and seeks to emerge as a viable corporation. Peabody's statement said it intends to continue operating its mines uninterrupted as the bankruptcy process proceeds.

Thus, while bankruptcy can crimp the finances of creditors and investors, it won't necessarily cut coal mine output. In fact, coal companies seeking to pay off creditors may face pressure to maintain revenues from coal.

The challenge of maintaining revenue has grown as coal prices have fallen. Coal from Wyoming's Powder River Basin, widely used for its low sulfur content, has fallen to $9.35 per ton. I'd call it dirt cheap if I knew anywhere selling dirt for less than half a penny per pound.

The coal companies simply cannot continue to lose money. So they will go the way of buggy whip manufacturers.

8 years of Barry the Fairy did this....and all that is heading to the dumpster along with everything else the POS touched. Coal will be just fine....YOU LOSE (again).

Coal jobs have been plummeting since the 1950's.

This story is Fake News. How many times did Trump vow to repeal and replace Obamacare? One hundred times? Five hundred times? A thousand times? No one who voted for Trump didn't know he was going to get rid of Obamacare. And it is ignorant for you to believe it, much less post it.

It's not "fake news". People are genuinely worried. They should have thought it through before voting for coal. jobs that are never going to come back beause of frigging automation.
Fake-Democrats.jpg

When coal companies go bankrupt, the mining doesn't always stop
coal_dozer_getty.jpg

The largest pillar of the coal industry has now fallen. In filing for bankruptcy last week, Peabody Energy joined Arch Coal, Patriot Coal, Walter Energy and Alpha Natural Resources among the largest coal mining companies recently facing this fate.

Coal emits more air pollutants and climate warming gases than any other fossil fuel, and its mining can devastate local ecosystems and watersheds. Curtailing the amounts of coal mined and burned would thus yield a myriad of benefits for the environment and health.

However, the road to bankruptcy court doesn't necessarily mark the path to a sustainable energy future. It is time to think afresh about how the environment and health can be considered in coal bankruptcies.

Like most of its peers, Peabody chose Chapter 11 for its bankruptcy filing. Unlike a Chapter 7 liquidation, Chapter 11 allows a company to continue operating while it manages its debts and seeks to emerge as a viable corporation. Peabody's statement said it intends to continue operating its mines uninterrupted as the bankruptcy process proceeds.

Thus, while bankruptcy can crimp the finances of creditors and investors, it won't necessarily cut coal mine output. In fact, coal companies seeking to pay off creditors may face pressure to maintain revenues from coal.

The challenge of maintaining revenue has grown as coal prices have fallen. Coal from Wyoming's Powder River Basin, widely used for its low sulfur content, has fallen to $9.35 per ton. I'd call it dirt cheap if I knew anywhere selling dirt for less than half a penny per pound.

The coal companies simply cannot continue to lose money. So they will go the way of buggy whip manufacturers.

8 years of Barry the Fairy did this....and all that is heading to the dumpster along with everything else the POS touched. Coal will be just fine....YOU LOSE (again).

Coal jobs have been plummeting since the 1950's.
I miss my coal furnace in my house.....

Stupid fucking liberals....

I think it's a pyrrhic victory. You guys are so lost in your "War on Coal" meme you fail to understand the reality of jobs here.
Yeah, there are no fucking jobs....we're working on that by ending your war on coal....

Why not work on it by bringing in NEW jobs - educating our workforce, attracting new industries like tech, upgrading our infrastructure to help make our state more attractive. Oh wait. That's called reality. Instead let's stick our heads in the sand and "end the war on coal".
Factories run on power....your pixi dust isn't real no matter what your fake news tells you.....

You must have choked on the Cheeto dust. I'll give you a few minutes to compose yourself.

Why are you so resistant to bringing in NEW jobs - educating our workforce, attracting new industries like tech, upgrading our infrastructure to help make our state more attractive?
So, you envision a future with no power? Do tell.....

The Cheeto dust has gone to your brain. No fixing that.

Is coal the only source of power?

Additionally - I'm not opposed to some (clean) coal and there are some things that coal is necessary for. I prefer reality to fantasy and reality is there are multiple reasons for loss of coal jobs.

Can you explain why coal jobs have been tanking since the 1950's? (can't blame that on Obama).

Yeah, there are no fucking jobs....we're working on that by ending your war on coal....

Why not work on it by bringing in NEW jobs - educating our workforce, attracting new industries like tech, upgrading our infrastructure to help make our state more attractive. Oh wait. That's called reality. Instead let's stick our heads in the sand and "end the war on coal".
Factories run on power....your pixi dust isn't real no matter what your fake news tells you.....

You must have choked on the Cheeto dust. I'll give you a few minutes to compose yourself.

Why are you so resistant to bringing in NEW jobs - educating our workforce, attracting new industries like tech, upgrading our infrastructure to help make our state more attractive?
So, you envision a future with no power? Do tell.....

The Cheeto dust has gone to your brain. No fixing that.

Is coal the only source of power?

Additionally - I'm not opposed to some (clean) coal and there are some things that coal is necessary for. I prefer reality to fantasy and reality is there are multiple reasons for loss of coal jobs.

Can you explain why coal jobs have been tanking since the 1950's? (can't blame that on Obama).
Coal is THE source of dispatchable power....

Leave the engineering of America to us engineers....thanks.....

I was born and raised in coal country - and I've never seen "clean" coal. Have you?

1600.jpg
No more coal for you. I hope you have some extra blankets.

Believe me, sparky, I don't want anymore of that filthy stinking shit. You can have my share.
Stop using electricity then ....thanks....

Why should I? I don't have to handle that filthy stinky shit. However, if coal is burned - I prefer circulating fluidized bed (CFB) boilers.
Wow. You must be techie internet guy.

I was born and raised in coal country - and I've never seen "clean" coal. Have you?

1600.jpg
No more coal for you. I hope you have some extra blankets.

Believe me, sparky, I don't want anymore of that filthy stinking shit. You can have my share.
Stop using electricity then ....thanks....

Why should I? I don't have to handle that filthy stinky shit. However, if coal is burned - I prefer circulating fluidized bed (CFB) boilers.
Wow. You must be techie internet guy.
He's a tit on a bull....err, I mean MBA....:lol:

Over 38,000 Americans died in car wreaks last year....up 8% over 2014 despite every safety device imaginable....coal mining deaths are miniscule by comparison.....SHUT DOWN THE AUTO COMPANY MURDERERS!
mad_zps639a98d3.gif

1600.jpg

Find some investors and turn that pit into a massive tiered-seating amphitheater or a football stadium.

Tom Horn
Sees things as they could be

This story is Fake News. How many times did Trump vow to repeal and replace Obamacare? One hundred times? Five hundred times? A thousand times? No one who voted for Trump didn't know he was going to get rid of Obamacare. And it is ignorant for you to believe it, much less post it.

It's not "fake news". People are genuinely worried. They should have thought it through before voting for coal. jobs that are never going to come back beause of frigging automation.

Automation? You have no idea what you're taking about. I'm from coal country. My grandfather was a coal miner and two of my cousins are mine engineers. Automation has NOTHING to do with it. Obama regulation is 100% to blame.

Do you also think they are stupid and didn't understand that Repeal Obamacare meant Repeal Obamacare?

It's no wonder the Democrats lost. The think Americans are so stupid they can't understand English.
But Trump always said, repeal and REPLACE....these people need him to come up with the REPLACE part that covers them to the same degree or better and he will be just fine and no buyer's remorse to be found with these supporters!

Over 38,000 Americans died in car wreaks last year....up 8% over 2014 despite every safety device imaginable....coal mining deaths are miniscule by comparison.....SHUT DOWN THE AUTO COMPANY MURDERERS!
mad_zps639a98d3.gif

So are terrorism deaths.

Clearly we should clearly cease from enforcing workplace safety measures in our factories and mines.

Advanced Black Lung Cases Surge In Appalachia
Across Appalachia, coal miners are suffering from the most serious form of the deadly mining disease black lung in numbers more than 10 times what federal regulators report, an NPR investigation has found.

The government, through the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, reported 99 cases of "complicated" black lung, or progressive massive fibrosis, throughout the country the last five years.

But NPR obtained data from 11 black lung clinics in Virginia, West Virginia, Pennsylvania and Ohio, which reported a total of 962 cases so far this decade. The true number is probably even higher, because some clinics had incomplete records and others declined to provide data.

Macho miners who won't wear their masks in the heat of the summer.....textile workers in the Carolinas got brown lung from breathing cotton fibers....you want to ban cotton too? :cuckoo:
Here's the list of dangerous jobs libs should want to ban:

Logging: No more wood products.
Construction worker: No more homes, office buildings.
Fishing: No more sea food, especially King crab.
Pilots: No more airlines.
Roofing: Again, no more homes.
Ranching and farming: No more food.

Here's the complete list:

1 Logging workers 110.9 78
2 Fishers and related fishing workers 80.8 22
3 Aircraft pilots and flight engineers 64 82
4 Roofers 47.4 83
5 Refuse and recyclable material collectors 35.8 27
6 Farmers, ranchers, and other agricultural managers 26.7 270
7 Structural iron and steel workers 25.2 15
8 Driver/sales workers and truck drivers 24.7 880
9 Electrical power-line installers and repairers 19.2 25
10 Taxi drivers and chauffeurs 18 68
11 First-line supervisors of construction trades and extraction workers 17.9 130
12 Construction laborers 16.9 208
13 First-line supervisors of landscaping, lawn service, and groundskeeping workers 16.4 33
14 Maintenance and repairs workers, general 14.4 68
15 Police and sheriff's patrol officers 13.5 97
16 Grounds maintenance workers 13.1 158
17 First-line supervisors of mechanics, installers, and repairers 12.3 38
18 Painters, construction and maintenance 10.8 46
19 Electricians 10.4 79
20 Telecommunications line installers and repairers 10 19

No one's talking about banning jobs.

You have any other strawman to lug out?

Automation? You have no idea what you're taking about. I'm from coal country. My grandfather was a coal miner and two of my cousins are mine engineers. Automation has NOTHING to do with it. Obama regulation is 100% to blame.

Do you also think they are stupid and didn't understand that Repeal Obamacare meant Repeal Obamacare?

It's no wonder the Democrats lost. The think Americans are so stupid they can't understand English.
Another fucking tard fucker.

TheMoneyIllusion » Coal jobs were lost to automation, not trade
They were lost to the democrat war on coal....and now that's ended....we won!!!!

I think it's a pyrrhic victory. You guys are so lost in your "War on Coal" meme you fail to understand the reality of jobs here.
So tell us exactly what you think is going to happen. And please, don't leave out the part where automation doesn't exist. And please, ignore the past 40 years of statistics and data.
Give us something really entertaining to read. :popcorn:

Advanced Black Lung Cases Surge In Appalachia
Across Appalachia, coal miners are suffering from the most serious form of the deadly mining disease black lung in numbers more than 10 times what federal regulators report, an NPR investigation has found.

The government, through the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, reported 99 cases of "complicated" black lung, or progressive massive fibrosis, throughout the country the last five years.

But NPR obtained data from 11 black lung clinics in Virginia, West Virginia, Pennsylvania and Ohio, which reported a total of 962 cases so far this decade. The true number is probably even higher, because some clinics had incomplete records and others declined to provide data.

Macho miners who won't wear their masks in the heat of the summer.....textile workers in the Carolinas got brown lung from breathing cotton fibers....you want to ban cotton too? :cuckoo:
Here's the list of dangerous jobs libs should want to ban:

Logging: No more wood products.
Construction worker: No more homes, office buildings.
Fishing: No more sea food, especially King crab.
Pilots: No more airlines.
Roofing: Again, no more homes.
Ranching and farming: No more food.

Here's the complete list:

1 Logging workers 110.9 78
2 Fishers and related fishing workers 80.8 22
3 Aircraft pilots and flight engineers 64 82
4 Roofers 47.4 83
5 Refuse and recyclable material collectors 35.8 27
6 Farmers, ranchers, and other agricultural managers 26.7 270
7 Structural iron and steel workers 25.2 15
8 Driver/sales workers and truck drivers 24.7 880
9 Electrical power-line installers and repairers 19.2 25
10 Taxi drivers and chauffeurs 18 68
11 First-line supervisors of construction trades and extraction workers 17.9 130
12 Construction laborers 16.9 208
13 First-line supervisors of landscaping, lawn service, and groundskeeping workers 16.4 33
14 Maintenance and repairs workers, general 14.4 68
15 Police and sheriff's patrol officers 13.5 97
16 Grounds maintenance workers 13.1 158
17 First-line supervisors of mechanics, installers, and repairers 12.3 38
18 Painters, construction and maintenance 10.8 46
19 Electricians 10.4 79
20 Telecommunications line installers and repairers 10 19

No one's talking about banning jobs.

You have any other strawman to lug out?

You, Obama and Hillary are talking about killing an entire industry because it's "dangerous." All the industries I listed are dangerous. Why don't you want to kill those industries?

Another fucking tard fucker.

TheMoneyIllusion » Coal jobs were lost to automation, not trade
They were lost to the democrat war on coal....and now that's ended....we won!!!!

So tell us exactly what you think is going to happen. And please, don't leave out the part where automation doesn't exist. And please, ignore the past 40 years of statistics and data.
Give us something really entertaining to read. :popcorn:
Please stop using coal to type....thanks...

Trump hasn't shafted anybody yet, I strongly suspect he has decency not to allow those with Black Lung fall through the cracks.

Why would you think that? He's a business men. He's hundreds of people without any concern for what might happen to them. He's fired workers who weren't "pretty enough". He's fired workers in retaliation for union activity. His companies offer among the stingiest retirement and benefit plans.
Your fake news tell you this?

Forum List

Back