Trump to help us Senior Citizens

Polishprince

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2016
The elimination of income taxes on Social Security benefits would be a huge benefit to the nation's Old People.

Time for the greedy government to keep its hands off.

Trump also plans to help tipped workers, by eliminating income tax on tips.

Libs insist on the Literal Crucifixion of the old people and the nation's waitresses and strippers by refusing to get on the Trump train as far as tax reform.

This is a horribly wrong-headed move. The only people whose SS benefits are taxed are people who have significant taxable other income.

Social Security is an ENTITLEMENT. It is not "getting your money back that you put into it." People who are wealthy should not be drawing SS. If you ride around Miami, Hilton Head, and other "vacation" places around the country, you will see thousands and thousands of multi-million dollar water-side condo's, most of which are owned by retired people collecting Social Security. This is a travesty.

Enhance the benefits and only give them to people in need, or relatively in need. It's called "means testing," and it is entirely appropriate.

People like me should not be collecting SS (but I do).

I don't agree with Trump on everything. Just most things.

The EMPLOYER's SS contribution was never taxed (like a 401k), so why shouldn't that part be taxed?

The EMPLOYER's SS contribution was never taxed (like a 401k), so why shouldn't that part be taxed?
Everyone's responses to this thread have been valid. This is a really complex problem. Many different aspects. Earnings have a cap for SS contributions--maybe that needs to be removed. SS contributions are taxed--doesn't seem fair to tax the benefits. Maybe an income cap on receiving SS benefits? Should the estate of a person who paid into SS during their lives but died without collecting benefits, be reimbursed those contributions? There are so many twists involved that can affect a wide variety of people making it fair. As an OT aside, I always had a problem with the taxation of earnings from Savings Bonds. What is the justification for taxing the earnings from a loan that you make to the government?

The elimination of income taxes on Social Security benefits would be a huge benefit to the nation's Old People.

Time for the greedy government to keep its hands off.

Trump also plans to help tipped workers, by eliminating income tax on tips.

Libs insist on the Literal Crucifixion of the old people and the nation's waitresses and strippers by refusing to get on the Trump train as far as tax reform.

Won't happen this congress woman tried this a couple years ago and again she filed a non partisan bill in January of this year. If Trump is elected he needs congress to get it through and they, except for a few will not take it up.

Everyone's responses to this thread have been valid. This is a really complex problem. Many different aspects. Earnings have a cap for SS contributions--maybe that needs to be removed. SS contributions are taxed--doesn't seem fair to tax the benefits. Maybe an income cap on receiving SS benefits? Should the estate of a person who paid into SS during their lives but died without collecting benefits, be reimbursed those contributions? There are so many twists involved that can affect a wide variety of people making it fair. As an OT aside, I always had a problem with the taxation of earnings from Savings Bonds. What is the justification for taxing the earnings from a loan that you make to the government?
The cap does need to be removed on earnings.

My question is, why should we pay taxes on SS when we already paid taxes?

As you may find it hard to believe I agree with everything you mention.

This is a horribly wrong-headed move. The only people whose SS benefits are taxed are people who have significant taxable other income.

Social Security is an ENTITLEMENT. It is not "getting your money back that you put into it." People who are wealthy should not be drawing SS. If you ride around Miami, Hilton Head, and other "vacation" places around the country, you will see thousands and thousands of multi-million dollar water-side condo's, most of which are owned by retired people collecting Social Security. This is a travesty.

Enhance the benefits and only give them to people in need, or relatively in need. It's called "means testing," and it is entirely appropriate.

People like me should not be collecting SS (but I do).

I don't agree with Trump on everything. Just most things.
What do you consider as significant income to be taxed? An amount?

The underlying problem is that Social Security is an "entitlement" program masquerading as an investment program.

Generally, for combined incomes between $25,000 and $34,000 ($32,000 and $44,000 for joint filers), up to 50% of your Social Security benefits may be taxed as ordinary income, and if your combined income exceeds those thresholds, up to 85% is taxable

The underlying problem is that Social Security is an "entitlement" program masquerading as an investment program.
So you're going with an entitlement and not people receiving their money back in old age that they have paid into most of their life?

Only the disability part. The rest is a middle class welfare program.
I disagree. The retirement portion is insurance on the gamble that you will not live long enough to collect any or all of the contributions that you paid in. It is no different than an annuity which is also an insurance policy. They both pay a benefit on death as well.

Forum List

Back