Trump Vows To ‘Destroy’ The Law That Bans Churches From Endorsing Candidates

Blocking pastors from free speech and their practice of religion should never have been illegal. It was a stupid law. I hope it goes away.

he seems to be pandering to the black vote. Black churches, (not all) are very much into preaching about electing one candidate over the other. They are very politically driven. I personally have never belonged to any church that tried to sway the vote of the parishioners toward one candidate over the other, but I have gone to black churches (for baptisms and other things with friends) and have heard them give politically motivated sermons. Im sure there are predominately white churches out there that do the same thing, I just have not been to one.

The president wants to help churches become the new super PACs.

President Donald Trump has pledged to repeal a 50-year-old tax law that prohibits churches and other tax-exempt organizations from participating in political campaigns. If successful, the repeal could deal a major blow to the separation of church and state.

In an address to politicians and religious leaders gathered for the National Prayer Breakfast on Thursday, Trump declared: “I will get rid of and totally destroy the Johnson Amendment.”

The Johnson Amendment is a provision in the U.S. tax code named for Lyndon B. Johnson, who introduced it in Congress while he was still a senator. Congresspassed the amendment in 1954, banning 501(c)(3) organizations ― which includes churches and charities ― from engaging in political campaign activity. Such activity includes publicly endorsing and opposing candidates, contributing to campaign funds and distributing materials in favor or opposition of any candidate.

The Internal Revenue Service upholds the prohibition accordingly, investigating churches and faith leaders who use their tax-exempt platforms to engage in political organizing of this nature.

The amendment aims to preserve an already precarious church-state divide by limiting religious organizations’ ability to sway elections. But for Trump, repealing the amendment appears to be an issue of religious freedom. At Thursday’s event, the president claimed the law undermines Americans’ “right to worship according to our own beliefs,” thus conflating political campaigning and religious worship.

Trump could propose changes to the current tax code, but only Congress has the power to officially repeal the amendment. But the president could effectively nullify the law by directing the IRS not to enforce it, tax law professor David Herzig told The Washington Post. The GOP currently holds a majority in Congress.

More: Trump Vows To 'Destroy' The Law That Bans Churches From Endorsing Candidates

As the article states: This "could deal a major blow to the separation of church and state." We already have way too much religion in politics. We need less - not more. Take away their tax-exempt status.
No tax exemption then.

Just so you know, very few churches actually endorse candidates. My wife is a very theologically conservative Christian and I've been to a lot of far right churches, and none of them ever discussed politics in the service. The strongest political statement in a far right church I've heard the minister said to "vote on Tuesday." While no one had any doubt who he wanted us to vote for, he said nothing to indicate that. He didn't want liberals to stop coming to the church.

On the other hand I'm very theologically liberal which unfortunately goes hand in hand with politically liberal. I grew up in the Church of the Brethren and have gone to Quaker churches across the country. They are constantly discussing politics including in the service and it's all left. So based on my experience, your statement would hurt you more than conservatives.

Just to be clear, so you mean that across the board, right? The Audubon Society? NOW? Unions? They endorse candidates and they get their tax exemption pulled, right?

and while IM at it, since its mostly churches that are pushing the democrat candidate, I fail to see how the libs can be upset with this. I mean, other than the fact that the honorable President Trump did it.

I'm not patriotic whatsoever so the law has no effect on me. My flag is a boot matt.

President Donald Trump has pledged to repeal a 50-year-old tax law that prohibits churches and other tax-exempt organizations from participating in political campaigns. If successful, the repeal could deal a major blow to the separation of church and state.

In an address to politicians and religious leaders gathered for the National Prayer Breakfast on Thursday, Trump declared: “I will get rid of and totally destroy the Johnson Amendment.”

The Johnson Amendment is a provision in the U.S. tax code named for Lyndon B. Johnson, who introduced it in Congress while he was still a senator. Congresspassed the amendment in 1954, banning 501(c)(3) organizations ― which includes churches and charities ― from engaging in political campaign activity. Such activity includes publicly endorsing and opposing candidates, contributing to campaign funds and distributing materials in favor or opposition of any candidate.

The Internal Revenue Service upholds the prohibition accordingly, investigating churches and faith leaders who use their tax-exempt platforms to engage in political organizing of this nature.

The amendment aims to preserve an already precarious church-state divide by limiting religious organizations’ ability to sway elections. But for Trump, repealing the amendment appears to be an issue of religious freedom. At Thursday’s event, the president claimed the law undermines Americans’ “right to worship according to our own beliefs,” thus conflating political campaigning and religious worship.

Trump could propose changes to the current tax code, but only Congress has the power to officially repeal the amendment. But the president could effectively nullify the law by directing the IRS not to enforce it, tax law professor David Herzig told The Washington Post. The GOP currently holds a majority in Congress.

More: Trump Vows To 'Destroy' The Law That Bans Churches From Endorsing Candidates

As the article states: This "could deal a major blow to the separation of church and state." We already have way too much religion in politics. We need less - not more. Take away their tax-exempt status.

Black churches have been violating it from day one, Trump is just leveling the playing field. The law should have never been allowed to stand in the first place, it violates the 1st amendment and American tradition.

Good. The founders expected churches to speak out for and against issues and politicians. The idea that our moral compass should be silenced with regard to politics is absurd.

It won't happen but I'll call out every lib who opposes because you guys don't care that Planned Parenthood, a tax-exempt organization, endorsed Hillary Clinton and donated to her campaign. If they can do it, why can't churches?

In the past, churches have been threatened that they will lose their tax-exempt status just for opposing certain things, like abortion. The reasoning was that if they spoke out on any issues, it was the same as supporting or opposing certain candidates.

If PP can do it, then every other tax-exempt organization should, too.

Black member churches and others supported Dems. Is that okay?

Take your pick. Do we extend the privilege to all churches, including ones that support Republicans, or do we take some churches and PP's tax-exempt status away and stop giving them our money so they can donate to Dem candidates?

So, I want to get this straight. You are saying that the Catholic Church no longer speaks out against abortion in the USA because they are afraid that they will lose their tax exempt status?

Clementine, I do believe that you win the award for the most absurd misinformation to be posted on this board for the entire week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

What a tard....churches do that all the time.

No tax exemption then.

Taxing religion is unconstitutional

From the OP:

“Churches may have a 1st Amendment right to endorse candidates, but there is no constitutional right to a tax exemption.”

Yes...there is......the entire reason for the 1st Amendment was to protect religion from the government....mainly the power to tax and control them....

From the OP:

“Churches may have a 1st Amendment right to endorse candidates, but there is no constitutional right to a tax exemption.”
Churches can do what they like. All they have to do is forgo the tax exempt status. Non 501 (C)(3) churches usually call 501 (C)(3) churches "corporate churches."

Why should they give up their tax exempt status?

and while IM at it, since its mostly churches that are pushing the democrat candidate, I fail to see how the libs can be upset with this. I mean, other than the fact that the honorable President Trump did it.

The current base of the left wants to destroy religion. They might use it for politics but their objective is eliminating. Or making it irrelevant

They already engage in politics in churches...watch any democrat candidate in a black church or a left wing church.........the problem for them is that conservative churches do not engage in politics for fear of losing their tax exempt status...democrat churches never have to fear this....if the law is ended, then the democrats will have to face conservative churches actually engaging in the political process......and that is a lot of power....

It won't happen but I'll call out every lib who opposes because you guys don't care that Planned Parenthood, a tax-exempt organization, endorsed Hillary Clinton and donated to her campaign. If they can do it, why can't churches?

In the past, churches have been threatened that they will lose their tax-exempt status just for opposing certain things, like abortion. The reasoning was that if they spoke out on any issues, it was the same as supporting or opposing certain candidates.

If PP can do it, then every other tax-exempt organization should, too.

Black member churches and others supported Dems. Is that okay?

Take your pick. Do we extend the privilege to all churches, including ones that support Republicans, or do we take some churches and PP's tax-exempt status away and stop giving them our money so they can donate to Dem candidates?

So, I want to get this straight. You are saying that the Catholic Church no longer speaks out against abortion in the USA because they are afraid that they will lose their tax exempt status?

Clementine, I do believe that you win the award for the most absurd misinformation to be posted on this board for the entire week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Moron, they can't endorse candidates who are pro life, or they lose their tax exempt status....they can't discuss abortion in a political way or to direct their people to vote against it....moron.

They already engage in politics in churches...watch any democrat candidate in a black church or a left wing church.........the problem for them is that conservative churches do not engage in politics for fear of losing their tax exempt status...democrat churches never have to fear this....if the law is ended, then the democrats will have to face conservative churches actually engaging in the political process......and that is a lot of power....
maybe, but to be honest, I cant see any of the churches that Ive gone to since the 60s trying to steer people in one political way over the other. Church is not about politics, its about God, Jesus, how to live your life etc.. the message is the same regardless of your political affiliation.
Or maybe Im looking at religion wrong.

Forum List

Back