Trump wants to allow religious institutions to openly advocate political views - tax-exempt

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
An amendment, pushed by Lyndon Johnson, many years ago, threatens religious institutions with a loss of their tax-exempt status if they openly advocate their political views.

I am going to work very hard to repeal that language and protect free speech for all Americans.

Read The Draft Text Of Donald Trump's 2016 Republican National Convention Speech

So much for the separation of church and state.

An amendment, pushed by Lyndon Johnson, many years ago, threatens religious institutions with a loss of their tax-exempt status if they openly advocate their political views.

Why not? The Church of LGBT wields unbelievable outspoken influence in politics...with anyone expressing dissent threatened with lawsuits or jail time. Time to balance that out just a wee little bit.. Too bad Hillary is going to win the Fall election though. Religion will be dead in less than four years by the time she and the dem majority in the Senate get finished with legislating religion & freedom of speech into the grave.

Why not? The Church of LGBT wields unbelievable outspoken influence in politics...with anyone expressing dissent threatened with lawsuits or jail time. Time to balance that out just a wee little bit.. Too bad Hillary is going to win the Fall election though. Religion will be dead in less than four years by the time she and the dem majority in the Senate get finished with legislating religion & freedom of speech into the grave.
Right....

I didn't like that too much at all.
Sundays will be all about politics .. I get upset when a church hi jacks its community for political reasons..
more genuflecting in a military manner will be the new way...pews are already in a dress right dress position...

All religious institutions should lose tax-exempt status whether they advocate political views or not.

I am going to work very hard to repeal that language and protect free speech for all Americans.

Read The Draft Text Of Donald Trump's 2016 Republican National Convention Speech

Freedom of speech is a vital, essential, Constitutional right, affirmed by the First Amendment. The use of this right to express political opinions, free from retaliation from a government that dislikes the opinions thus expressed, is one of the most important purposes thereof.

So is freedom of religion.

Nowhere in the First Amendment, nor anywhere else in the Constitution, is there any language that implies that one may lawfully be compelled to waive one right as a condition of being allowed to exercise another.

The prohibition against tax-exempt churches and religious organizations being allowed to express political views is blatantly unconstitutional, and if Mr. Trump wants to overturn it, then he's exactly right on that point.

Last edited:

Excellent.

Jefferson's "separation of church and state" does not have Constitutional weight, nor was it ever intended to curtail Christian free speech rights. It's purpose was to keep the State out of the religion business.

Sundays will be all about politics .. I get upset when a church hi jacks its community for political reasons..
Then you must be furious with the Church of LGBT. No church in my memory has forced its dogma on our populace without our permission, and with the assistance of Justices acting illegally, more than the Church of LGBT.

i couldn't find that part.

LBJ was right and Trump says nothing about it in that speech. He's not a dingbat.

do they get tax exemptions?

Should Churches (Defined as Churches, Temples, Mosques, Synagogues, etc.) Remain Tax-Exempt?

US churches* received an official federal income tax exemption in 1894, and they have been unofficially tax-exempt since the country's founding. All 50 US states and the District of Columbia exempt churches from paying property tax. Donations to churches are tax-deductible. The debate continues over whether or not these tax benefits should be retained.

Proponents argue that a tax exemption keeps the government out of church finances and thus upholds the separation of church and state. They say that churches deserve a tax break because they provide crucial social services, and that 200 years of church tax exemptions have not turned America into a theocracy.

Opponents argue that giving churches special tax exemptions violates the separation of church and state, and that tax exemptions are a privilege, not a constitutional right. They say that in tough economic times the government cannot afford what amounts to a subsidy worth billions of dollars every year. Read more...

Churches and Taxes - ProCon.org

Tax them like any other business!

Then you must be furious with the Church of LGBT. No church in my memory has forced its dogma on our populace without our permission, and with the assistance of Justices acting illegally, more than the Church of LGBT.

I really don't pay attention to the LGBT but I pay attention when a pastor takes the whole hour telling you how to vote, I won't come back..I am not there for a political lesson..
Basically the Robertson Movement back in 1992 started it.. Getting the republican vote and starting what we know now as the Tea Party.

i couldn't find that part.

LBJ was right and Trump says nothing about it in that speech. He's not a dingbat.

You couldn't find what? My OP? It's stated clearly in Trump's speech.

Should Churches (Defined as Churches, Temples, Mosques, Synagogues, etc.) Remain Tax-Exempt?

US churches* received an official federal income tax exemption in 1894, and they have been unofficially tax-exempt since the country's founding. All 50 US states and the District of Columbia exempt churches from paying property tax. Donations to churches are tax-deductible. The debate continues over whether or not these tax benefits should be retained.

Proponents argue that a tax exemption keeps the government out of church finances and thus upholds the separation of church and state. They say that churches deserve a tax break because they provide crucial social services, and that 200 years of church tax exemptions have not turned America into a theocracy.

Opponents argue that giving churches special tax exemptions violates the separation of church and state, and that tax exemptions are a privilege, not a constitutional right. They say that in tough economic times the government cannot afford what amounts to a subsidy worth billions of dollars every year. Read more...

Churches and Taxes - ProCon.org

Tax them like any other business!
ya we heard ya the 3rd time.

Too stupid to know it's an American tradition since our founding? But you regressive have no problems with America hater like your dear leaders preacher doing it, just not conservatives. We have the commie LBJ to thank for trying to kill that tradition, it's time to kill his law that hasn't been enforced equally form day one.

I really don't pay attention to the LGBT but I pay attention when a pastor takes the whole hour telling you how to vote, I won't come back..I am not there for a political lesson..
Basically the Robertson Movement back in 1992 started it.. Getting the republican vote and starting what we know now as the Tea Party.

Go to a Mormon service.
Then you can find out who's responsible for bringing the funeral potatoes.

Forum List

Back