Trump wants to allow religious institutions to openly advocate political views - tax-exempt

An amendment, pushed by Lyndon Johnson, many years ago, threatens religious institutions with a loss of their tax-exempt status if they openly advocate their political views.

I am going to work very hard to repeal that language and protect free speech for all Americans.

Read The Draft Text Of Donald Trump's 2016 Republican National Convention Speech

So much for the separation of church and state.

Excellent.

Jefferson's "separation of church and state" does not have Constitutional weight, nor was it ever intended to curtail Christian free speech rights. It's purpose was to keep the State out of the religion business.
No separation of church and state then? Good...the State can control religion then....regardless of what you say.

Try actually reading the letter to the Baptists, and the 1st. The State cannot legally control or restrict religion in any way.

Also, despite the Democrats' hallucinogenic bent, no such phrase appears in the Constitution, It was given Constitutional weight with malevolent intent.

So the State can't ban human sacrifice as a religious ritual? lol, good one.

To be fair, it was also there to prevent the formation of a National Church, and to prevent government from forcing tithes on people to any religious organization in general.

It was never meant to keep religion out of the public square, or create a government that was hostile to religion.

Then again, tax exempt status sounds like govt getting involved in religion and should they be promoting religion? Not really, just leaving religion alone to get on with what it does, as long as it doesn't give any reason for the govt to be hostile.

If they give out tax exemptions to all religions and don't pick and choose, I don't see it as getting involved. Also, since atheistic groups can get tax exempt status as non-profits they can also achieve the same benefits, and ironically don't have the same limitations on political speech.

And why should a government be "hostile" towards a given religion? are you talking about a response to words or actions?

But then they'll have to pick and choose. Otherwise Walmart could declare themselves a religious institution.

Considering they make a profit, that would be a no-go.

Not necessarily. There's always a way around this. However do churches not make a profit? Do they not spend their money? It all starts getting rather dark and sinister. If I run a business and all profits go into my bank account for my own use, isn't that the same as me running a church and doing the same thing?

Not really, and because non-profits claim tax immunity, they have to open their books as wide as a 10 lane highway to the IRS to show that no funny business is going on. At that point the IRS says "nuh uh" and away goes your tax exempt status.

The closest real example you can probably find is Scientology, and the IRS dogged their asses for decades, only giving up because the Scientologists evidently had better lawyers, and a TON of money they needed to keep in the hide-y hole. For most people, it wouldn't be worth the effort.

Tax exemption for religious institutions is a special privilege, and with that come special requirements.

You take away the requirements then you need to take away the special privilege.

So there are no other tax exempt organizations out there? and none of them are allowed to make political statements?

Tax exemption for religious institutions is a special privilege, and with that come special requirements.

You take away the requirements then you need to take away the special privilege.

So there are no other tax exempt organizations out there? and none of them are allowed to make political statements?

Is that a question you already think you know the answer to?

I say tax all religious institutions on any assets not directly involved in charity work.

An amendment, pushed by Lyndon Johnson, many years ago, threatens religious institutions with a loss of their tax-exempt status if they openly advocate their political views.

I am going to work very hard to repeal that language and protect free speech for all Americans.

Read The Draft Text Of Donald Trump's 2016 Republican National Convention Speech

Where in the Constitution does it say separation of church and state... Be specific. dumb fuck
You're right...no separation of church and state. The government can control religions.

Excellent.

Jefferson's "separation of church and state" does not have Constitutional weight, nor was it ever intended to curtail Christian free speech rights. It's purpose was to keep the State out of the religion business.
No separation of church and state then? Good...the State can control religion then....regardless of what you say.

Try actually reading the letter to the Baptists, and the 1st. The State cannot legally control or restrict religion in any way.

Also, despite the Democrats' hallucinogenic bent, no such phrase appears in the Constitution, It was given Constitutional weight with malevolent intent.

So the State can't ban human sacrifice as a religious ritual? lol, good one.

Shrug.

A matter for the states.

What part of "Congress shall make no law" is confusing to you?

Is that a question you already think you know the answer to?

it's a simple question.

Where in the Constitution does it say separation of church and state... Be specific. dumb fuck
You're right...no separation of church and state. The government can control religions.

Well, that is the overall stupidest thing I've read all week. Congratulations.

You might check the 1st again, but if you didn't get it the first time, progress is unlikely.

Sooo. You don't think church and state should be separated? Perhaps you should give that some more thought.
I'm just saying it's not in the Constitution

I don't like that the guy in your sig line is flipping me off. I want to punch him out!

You can go to his grave site and dig him up if you so desire and if that is your thing..

And Freedom of Speech is in the Constitution!

What does Freedom of Speech have to do with separation of church and state? You want to live in a theocracy??? Are you insane?

Freedom of Speech gives anyone the right to say what they want, regardless of where they speak. Even in churches..

Unions do not suffer from such laws, but the chicken LBJ was scared that the Catholics would unseat him.

After all it was the Catholics that put JFK in office.
The scary Catholics......

You might check the 1st again, but if you didn't get it the first time, progress is unlikely.
I did check the 1st....and YOU said there was no separation of church and state. Do you not realize what that means?

I prefer the term natural rights. No "creator" gave them to us.

Natural rights given to you by whom? Those that have the guns?

Why do you think your rights have been "given" to you? They just are based upon instinct!

Because the Bible says so...and our founding fathers believed so as well....that's why. What we have now in this country that is no longer home of the brave or home of the brave is a bunch of sheeple that don't have the slightest clue as to how we have been used and manipulated....and excuse me for saying this...but since I started down this road and learned how things REALLY work and how they really are, I have become a bit of a snob and I have very little patience here of late for those that do not understand what we are up against.

MANY people don't share your biblical beliefs! Understand that.

And I am fine with that many don't believe....but leave me the fuck alone and let me live my life the way I see fit. Don't bring your little piss ant code enforcers onto my property and tell me that I can't collect rain water....don't tell me how big or small the garden in my back yard can be. I don't NEED permission to do these things. If I want to paint my house in exotic colors? That's my fucking business because it's MY property....if I want to let my grass grow higher than 6 inches before I cut it? Deal with it....it's not my neighbors that have to deal with it. If they mind their own business, then they will have all they can handle. I have had it up to my neck with this federal "gubermint" entity" that is a for profit corporation and I give them the double middle finger salute every chance I get. I make it my business to be a thorn in their side....fuck'em......fuck them eight ways to Sunday. I despise this corporate entity that lamely attempts to pass themselves off as a legitimate governmental body and let me tell ya, they don't like the fact that I point it out.....fuck 'em...they can eat shit and die.
:itsok:

Then again, tax exempt status sounds like govt getting involved in religion and should they be promoting religion? Not really, just leaving religion alone to get on with what it does, as long as it doesn't give any reason for the govt to be hostile.

If they give out tax exemptions to all religions and don't pick and choose, I don't see it as getting involved. Also, since atheistic groups can get tax exempt status as non-profits they can also achieve the same benefits, and ironically don't have the same limitations on political speech.

And why should a government be "hostile" towards a given religion? are you talking about a response to words or actions?

But then they'll have to pick and choose. Otherwise Walmart could declare themselves a religious institution.

Considering they make a profit, that would be a no-go.

Not necessarily. There's always a way around this. However do churches not make a profit? Do they not spend their money? It all starts getting rather dark and sinister. If I run a business and all profits go into my bank account for my own use, isn't that the same as me running a church and doing the same thing?

Not really, and because non-profits claim tax immunity, they have to open their books as wide as a 10 lane highway to the IRS to show that no funny business is going on. At that point the IRS says "nuh uh" and away goes your tax exempt status.

The closest real example you can probably find is Scientology, and the IRS dogged their asses for decades, only giving up because the Scientologists evidently had better lawyers, and a TON of money they needed to keep in the hide-y hole. For most people, it wouldn't be worth the effort.

But then isn't there an element of picking and choosing? This is the issue here. Scientology, did they pick and choose whether to give them the exemption? Do they know what's going on? Profit being made? Etc.

Excellent.

Also, despite the Democrats' hallucinogenic bent, no such phrase appears in the Constitution. It was given Constitutional weight with malevolent intent.
Didn't you say there was no separation of church and state protected by the Constitution?

I did check the 1st....and YOU said there was no separation of church and state. Do you not realize what that means?

I did not. I said the phrase does not legally have Constitutional weight.

The 1st states "Congress shall make no law". It doesn't mean sometimes is okay.

Excellent.

Also, despite the Democrats' hallucinogenic bent, no such phrase appears in the Constitution. It was given Constitutional weight with malevolent intent.
Didn't you say there was no separation of church and state protected by the Constitution?

I did not. Do you require remedial reading classes?

Yes or no....there is "separation of church and state" protected by the Constitution?

Yes or no....there is "separation of church and state" protected by the Constitution?

What is there about "Congress shall make no law" that confuses you?

What is there about "Congress shall make no law" that confuses you?
Why can't you give me a yes or no?

Forum List

Back