Trump wants to allow religious institutions to openly advocate political views - tax-exempt

An amendment, pushed by Lyndon Johnson, many years ago, threatens religious institutions with a loss of their tax-exempt status if they openly advocate their political views.

I am going to work very hard to repeal that language and protect free speech for all Americans.

Read The Draft Text Of Donald Trump's 2016 Republican National Convention Speech

So much for the separation of church and state.

Excellent.

Jefferson's "separation of church and state" does not have Constitutional weight, nor was it ever intended to curtail Christian free speech rights. It's purpose was to keep the State out of the religion business.

To be fair, it was also there to prevent the formation of a National Church, and to prevent government from forcing tithes on people to any religious organization in general.

It was never meant to keep religion out of the public square, or create a government that was hostile to religion.

Then again, tax exempt status sounds like govt getting involved in religion and should they be promoting religion? Not really, just leaving religion alone to get on with what it does, as long as it doesn't give any reason for the govt to be hostile.

An amendment, pushed by Lyndon Johnson, many years ago, threatens religious institutions with a loss of their tax-exempt status if they openly advocate their political views.

I am going to work very hard to repeal that language and protect free speech for all Americans.

Read The Draft Text Of Donald Trump's 2016 Republican National Convention Speech

Excellent.

Jefferson's "separation of church and state" does not have Constitutional weight, nor was it ever intended to curtail Christian free speech rights. It's purpose was to keep the State out of the religion business.

No it's purpose is to keep the national government out of the religion business, the supreme courts incorporation doctrine is BS. The 1st says "Congress shall pass no law".

"The State" refers to the federal government, not to "the states"

Actually States were in essence states, ie, individual countries. The term existed before Communism.

Excellent.

No it's purpose is to keep the national government out of the religion business, the supreme courts incorporation doctrine is BS. The 1st says "Congress shall pass no law".

"The State" refers to the federal government, not to "the states"

Constitutionally it's never used interchangeably, the federal government is never referred to as the State. Regressive are confused enough already, no need to contribute to it. Just say'n.

No, but in modern speech "the State" is commonly used to indicate the central authority. Blame the Communists.

In terms of Progressive stupidity, I'm afraid that is incurable after a certain age.

Personally I'll leave the parroting of communist to the regressives, they're so good at it. LMAO

Excellent.

To be fair, it was also there to prevent the formation of a National Church, and to prevent government from forcing tithes on people to any religious organization in general.

It was never meant to keep religion out of the public square, or create a government that was hostile to religion.

Then again, tax exempt status sounds like govt getting involved in religion and should they be promoting religion? Not really, just leaving religion alone to get on with what it does, as long as it doesn't give any reason for the govt to be hostile.

If they give out tax exemptions to all religions and don't pick and choose, I don't see it as getting involved. Also, since atheistic groups can get tax exempt status as non-profits they can also achieve the same benefits, and ironically don't have the same limitations on political speech.

And why should a government be "hostile" towards a given religion? are you talking about a response to words or actions?

Excellent.

If they give out tax exemptions to all religions and don't pick and choose, I don't see it as getting involved. Also, since atheistic groups can get tax exempt status as non-profits they can also achieve the same benefits, and ironically don't have the same limitations on political speech.

And why should a government be "hostile" towards a given religion? are you talking about a response to words or actions?

But then they'll have to pick and choose. Otherwise Walmart could declare themselves a religious institution.

Ah, apparently some people think free speech is a blanket term for "I can fucking say what the fuck I fucking like you fucking n*****r."

It isn't.

That's pretty much what free speech is.

Excellent.

But then they'll have to pick and choose. Otherwise Walmart could declare themselves a religious institution.

Considering they make a profit, that would be a no-go.

That includes Mosques too, right?

Why not?

Excellent.

No separation of church and state then? Good...the State can control religion then....regardless of what you say.

Why not? The Church of LGBT wields unbelievable outspoken influence in politics...with anyone expressing dissent threatened with lawsuits or jail time. Time to balance that out just a wee little bit.. Too bad Hillary is going to win the Fall election though. Religion will be dead in less than four years by the time she and the dem majority in the Senate get finished with legislating religion & freedom of speech into the grave.

Gay is a religion? lol

Excellent.

Considering they make a profit, that would be a no-go.

Not necessarily. There's always a way around this. However do churches not make a profit? Do they not spend their money? It all starts getting rather dark and sinister. If I run a business and all profits go into my bank account for my own use, isn't that the same as me running a church and doing the same thing?

Tax exemption for religious institutions is a special privilege, and with that come special requirements.

You take away the requirements then you need to take away the special privilege.

churches should be taxed anyway. It's just a business anyway.

Like Unions?

Unions are the main builder of our middle class throughout the 20th century. Please learn some history!!!! Without them the rich would of kept taking it all and the worker would of been no better off then a work in vietnam.

And a far left drone comes in and proves my point!

They do not understand History, just far left religious dogma!
So...you would be willing to voluntarily give up all benefits gained by the Unions over the last 100+ years, right?

Excellent.

No separation of church and state then? Good...the State can control religion then....regardless of what you say.

Try actually reading the letter to the Baptists, and the 1st. The State cannot legally control or restrict religion in any way.

Also, despite the Democrats' hallucinogenic bent, no such phrase appears in the Constitution. It was given Constitutional weight with malevolent intent.

Take it up with the Reverend Al Sharpton.

I thought Sharpton had tax problems, not tax exemptions...

Forum List

Back