Trump wants to allow religious institutions to openly advocate political views - tax-exempt

They are not my parties, just like you do not know what my religion is.

And your question shows you truly do not have a clue about the Constitution!

Face it the far left religion is louder and stronger than any other religion you choose to fear..

I already said that I don't trust them either. I think I know what your religion is. Christianity. Gee, that was hard. Lol.

Wrong! But that just goes to show your hatred for anything that you do not understand!

The far left has stuck the fear of GOD in you and wants you afraid!

So you only bash Christians? and you are ok with Islam?

You do LBJ proud as he too was scared of a certain religion..

In FACT, I would say that the religious right is one of the biggest problems with the republican party. Very exclusionary, chases people away and is a huge TURN OFF.

So you prefer this:

And religion is part of many people lives around the world. To ignore it is even more of a turn off..

So you only vote for people based on one issue?

The religious right wants to cover a LOT of issues. You keep your superstitions to yourself please. Thanks.

I am not the one afraid of something they claim does not exist!

Nothing in the constitution claims that one religion would be given preference over another or be allowed to oppress any religious beliefs....but nothing in the Constitution makes reference to the fact that we do not have a "Creator" because we are endowed by certain unalienable rights given to us by our Creator and that "creator" isn't a benevolent "federal gubermint" that bestows privileges upon us that can take them away at their whim.....get it now? My right to exist here isn't at the leisure of this corporate structure.......can I make it any more clear than that? I want to be sure that you get the gist of what OI am trying to say...if you need more clarification, please, by all means....let me know...I'm a "giver".

I prefer the term natural rights. No "creator" gave them to us.

Natural rights given to you by whom? Those that have the guns?

Why do you think your rights have been "given" to you? They just are based upon instinct!

Because the Bible says so...and our founding fathers believed so as well....that's why. What we have now in this country that is no longer home of the brave or home of the brave is a bunch of sheeple that don't have the slightest clue as to how we have been used and manipulated....and excuse me for saying this...but since I started down this road and learned how things REALLY work and how they really are, I have become a bit of a snob and I have very little patience here of late for those that do not understand what we are up against.

MANY people don't share your biblical beliefs! Understand that.

And I am fine with that many don't believe....but leave me the fuck alone and let me live my life the way I see fit. Don't bring your little piss ant code enforcers onto my property and tell me that I can't collect rain water....don't tell me how big or small the garden in my back yard can be. I don't NEED permission to do these things. If I want to paint my house in exotic colors? That's my fucking business because it's MY property....if I want to let my grass grow higher than 6 inches before I cut it? Deal with it....it's not my neighbors that have to deal with it. If they mind their own business, then they will have all they can handle. I have had it up to my neck with this federal "gubermint" entity" that is a for profit corporation and I give them the double middle finger salute every chance I get. I make it my business to be a thorn in their side....fuck'em......fuck them eight ways to Sunday. I despise this corporate entity that lamely attempts to pass themselves off as a legitimate governmental body and let me tell ya, they don't like the fact that I point it out.....fuck 'em...they can eat shit and die.

They are not my parties, just like you do not know what my religion is.

And your question shows you truly do not have a clue about the Constitution!

Face it the far left religion is louder and stronger than any other religion you choose to fear..

I already said that I don't trust them either. I think I know what your religion is. Christianity. Gee, that was hard. Lol.

Wrong! But that just goes to show your hatred for anything that you do not understand!

The far left has stuck the fear of GOD in you and wants you afraid!

So you only bash Christians? and you are ok with Islam?

You do LBJ proud as he too was scared of a certain religion..

In FACT, I would say that the religious right is one of the biggest problems with the republican party. Very exclusionary, chases people away and is a huge TURN OFF.

So you prefer this:

And religion is part of many people lives around the world. To ignore it is even more of a turn off..

So you only vote for people based on one issue?

The religious right wants to cover a LOT of issues. You keep your superstitions to yourself please. Thanks.

Ok, we keep any reference to God or Jesus Christ out of the school system...in exchange? The LGTBQ doesn't have the ability to preach queerness as normal in grade schools.,...deal????

There is some confusion regarding what churches can and cannot do in the political arena without endangering their tax exempt status . According to the IRS, the church is allowed to express their views on, and even advocate for or against, any piece of legislation. What it cannot do is participate in any political campaign on behalf or in opposition to any candidate for public office. In other words, a church is free to speak its mind on legislation such as gay marriage; however, it cannot participate in a campaign in favor of a candidate who supports their cause. The IRS has some good information on the subject. Here are a few portions from an article published by the IRS but I suggest you read the entire article including its links.

“Currently, the law prohibits political campaign activity by charities and churches by defining a 501(c)(3) organization as one "which does not participate in, or intervene in (including the publishing or distributing of statements), any political campaign on behalf of (or in opposition to) any candidate for public office."

“The IRS has published Revenue Ruling 2007-41, which outlines how churches, and all 501(c)(3) organizations, can stay within the law regarding the ban on political activity. Also, the ban by Congress is on political campaign activity regarding a candidate; churches and other 501(c)(3) organizations can engage in a limited amount of lobbying (including ballot measures) and advocate for or against issues that are in the political arena. The IRS also has provided guidance regarding the difference between advocating for a candidate and advocating for legislation. See political and lobbying activities.)"

Sorry, gang. This old man is just too tired to explain in greater detail, but you can get what you need from the link I provided.

Edited to add: If Trump merely wants to allow churches to express their views on political issues, there is no need for him to create a new law as churches already have that right.

Last edited:
There is some confusion regarding what churches can and cannot do in the political arena without endangering their tax exempt status . According to the IRS, the church is allowed to express their views on, and even advocate for or against, any piece of legislation. What it cannot do is participate in any political campaign on behalf or in opposition to any candidate for public office. In other words, a church is free to speak its mind on legislation such as gay marriage; however, it cannot participate in a campaign in favor of a candidate who supports their cause. The IRS has some good information on the subject. Here are a few portions from an article published by the IRS but I suggest you read the entire article including its links.

“Currently, the law prohibits political campaign activity by charities and churches by defining a 501(c)(3) organization as one "which does not participate in, or intervene in (including the publishing or distributing of statements), any political campaign on behalf of (or in opposition to) any candidate for public office."

“The IRS has published Revenue Ruling 2007-41, which outlines how churches, and all 501(c)(3) organizations, can stay within the law regarding the ban on political activity. Also, the ban by Congress is on political campaign activity regarding a candidate; churches and other 501(c)(3) organizations can engage in a limited amount of lobbying (including ballot measures) and advocate for or against issues that are in the political arena. The IRS also has provided guidance regarding the difference between advocating for a candidate and advocating for legislation. See political and lobbying activities.)"

Sorry, gang. This old man is just too tired to explain in greater detail, but you can get what you need from the link I provided.

The IRS, which is the collection arm of the International Monetary Fund (that took USA.INC into receivership in 1950 as a successor to contract to provide the 19 enumerated//essential services) that is a Puerto Rican Trust #62?????? THAT IRS????? Yeah, I know more than you and I am too tired to explain to you. We do not have "laws"....we have acts, statutes and codes...we do not have "judges"...we have "administrators" that work on behalf of the bankers. Debate me on this because I will kick your ass, "professor"....game on??????

An amendment, pushed by Lyndon Johnson, many years ago, threatens religious institutions with a loss of their tax-exempt status if they openly advocate their political views.

I am going to work very hard to repeal that language and protect free speech for all Americans.

Read The Draft Text Of Donald Trump's 2016 Republican National Convention Speech

So much for the separation of church and state.
How does that repeal the separation of church and state? Plenty of churches already express political views, but Obama only prosecutes the ones who express conservative views.

The church of "hope and change" is A lesson in frivolousness...

An amendment, pushed by Lyndon Johnson, many years ago, threatens religious institutions with a loss of their tax-exempt status if they openly advocate their political views.

I am going to work very hard to repeal that language and protect free speech for all Americans.

Read The Draft Text Of Donald Trump's 2016 Republican National Convention Speech

Ah, apparently some people think free speech is a blanket term for "I can fucking say what the fuck I fucking like you fucking n*****r."

It isn't.

I don't seem to remember vocal pastors in politics strictly coming from the right. Rev. Luis Leon preached a 15-minute sermon taking a specific shot at his views of the religious right concerning his interpretation of racism towards blacks and the views of women. Rev Jeremiah Wright also made headlines with his preaching of American politics referring to "chickens coming home to roost." Both found very early, at the beginning of Obama's presidency. I don't recall the tax exemption status being of a real big concern then, nor their views of republicans in office from the pulpit, when it was Obama running for office. Why the sudden concern for separation of church and state now? Did it suddenly begin to dawn on you that there is a liberal interpretative view of the first amendment?

Ok, we keep any reference to God or Jesus Christ out of the school system...in exchange? The LGTBQ doesn't have the ability to preach queerness as normal in grade schools.,...deal????
The PUBLIC schools should teach basic living SKILLS & FACTS when appropriate during K-12 ... before the student receives a HS diploma.

i couldn't find that part.

LBJ was right and Trump says nothing about it in that speech. He's not a dingbat.

You serious?

Excellent.

Jefferson's "separation of church and state" does not have Constitutional weight, nor was it ever intended to curtail Christian free speech rights. It's purpose was to keep the State out of the religion business.

To be fair, it was also there to prevent the formation of a National Church, and to prevent government from forcing tithes on people to any religious organization in general.

It was never meant to keep religion out of the public square, or create a government that was hostile to religion.

There are plenty of tax exempt organizations that can produce political speech and keep their tax exempt status, why should Religion be singled out?

Should Churches (Defined as Churches, Temples, Mosques, Synagogues, etc.) Remain Tax-Exempt?

US churches* received an official federal income tax exemption in 1894, and they have been unofficially tax-exempt since the country's founding. All 50 US states and the District of Columbia exempt churches from paying property tax. Donations to churches are tax-deductible. The debate continues over whether or not these tax benefits should be retained.

Proponents argue that a tax exemption keeps the government out of church finances and thus upholds the separation of church and state. They say that churches deserve a tax break because they provide crucial social services, and that 200 years of church tax exemptions have not turned America into a theocracy.

Opponents argue that giving churches special tax exemptions violates the separation of church and state, and that tax exemptions are a privilege, not a constitutional right. They say that in tough economic times the government cannot afford what amounts to a subsidy worth billions of dollars every year. Read more...

Churches and Taxes - ProCon.org

Tax them like any other business!
They don't make a profit, they are non profit organizations....So what exactly can the federal gvt tax??? Businesses only get income taxed on profit, if they reinvest all of their profit in to their business, then they are not taxed....So I guess I simply don't understand what benefit is really given in the tax code to all nonprofit organizations?

Last edited:

Excellent.

Jefferson's "separation of church and state" does not have Constitutional weight, nor was it ever intended to curtail Christian free speech rights. It's purpose was to keep the State out of the religion business.

No it's purpose is to keep the national government out of the religion business, the supreme courts incorporation doctrine is BS. The 1st says "Congress shall pass no law".

"The State" refers to the federal government, not to "the states"

Excellent.

No it's purpose is to keep the national government out of the religion business, the supreme courts incorporation doctrine is BS. The 1st says "Congress shall pass no law".

Constitutionally it's never used interchangeably, the federal government is never referred to as the State. Regressive are confused enough already, no need to contribute to it. Just say'n.

Excellent.

Constitutionally it's never used interchangeably, the federal government is never referred to as the State. Regressive are confused enough already, no need to contribute to it. Just say'n.

No, but in modern speech "the State" is commonly used to indicate the central authority. Blame the Communists.

In terms of Progressive stupidity, I'm afraid that is incurable after a certain age.

Forum List

Back