Trump's promised Free Speech Executive Order

I have read that President Trump is very concerned with the violence on American campuses and he is vowing to issue an Executive Order saying that colleges will have their federal funding withheld if they violate free speech on campus. This looks very promising.

Trump vows executive order requiring 'free speech' at colleges | Reuters

"If universities do not comply “it will be very costly,” he said. The U.S. government awards universities more than $30 billion annually in research funds."

trump is concerned with violence so he says he will withhold federal funds if colleges don't allow free speech?

Do you see how illogical that is?

What does violence have to do with having or not having a speaker on a campus?
How is that illegal?

In order to withhold federal funds from either a city or a college, either (a) it must be clearly stipulated at the beginning of the funding, or (b) Congress has to pass a bill cutting off funding. It cannot be done via EO. Post 52 refers.
Says who? The executive branch has to approve each funding grant, so what stops them from simply not approving any grants to universities that don't comply?

I find it funny as hell when Trump says that he's gonna do something that he clearly can't, and his minions follow him blindly, saying how good Trump is.

Hey................Trumpettes..................read post 52 and you will see WHY Trump can't withhold federal funds by EO. He's gotta have help from a Congressional vote in order to be able to do so, he can't do it via EO alone.

He sure pushed you loon's button over it.

The question begs...why would anyone not want free speech. That's sorta Fascist

Hey, I'm all for free speech, even if I don't agree with it. That isn't the point though, the point was that Trump said he was going to do something via EO that he clearly can't. That shows that neither Trump nor his supporters know much about how government works.

Yeah you've posted that three times now....zzzzzzz

Wow, I'm impressed. Keep it up, and pretty soon you will be using your other hand to count even higher.

Stfu you annoying troll.

Gawd we're sick of your constant BS.

You goddamn fascists trying ro squelch freedom of speech should be shot.

I have read that President Trump is very concerned with the violence on American campuses and he is vowing to issue an Executive Order saying that colleges will have their federal funding withheld if they violate free speech on campus. This looks very promising.

"If universities do not comply “it will be very costly,” he said. The U.S. government awards universities more than $30 billion annually in research funds."

trump is concerned with violence so he says he will withhold federal funds if colleges don't allow free speech?

How is that illegal?

In order to withhold federal funds from either a city or a college, either (a) it must be clearly stipulated at the beginning of the funding, or (b) Congress has to pass a bill cutting off funding. It cannot be done via EO. Post 52 refers.
Says who? The executive branch has to approve each funding grant, so what stops them from simply not approving any grants to universities that don't comply?

You're onto something. Tie future funding into it.

Oh snap

How is that illegal?

It's not quite as simple as you are trying to make it out. The president REQUESTS funding from Congress, then they debate it and pass bills, sending it up to the president to be signed into law. No, Trump can't do it via an EO alone.

Budget Process

How Does the Federal Government Create a Budget?
There are five key steps in the federal budget process:

1. The President submits a budget request to Congress
  2. The House and Senate pass budget resolutions
  3. House and Senate Appropriations subcommittees "markup" appropriations bills
  4. The House and Senate vote on appropriations bills and reconcile differences
  5. The President signs each appropriations bill and the budget becomes law

I find it funny as hell when Trump says that he's gonna do something that he clearly can't, and his minions follow him blindly, saying how good Trump is.

Hey................Trumpettes..................read post 52 and you will see WHY Trump can't withhold federal funds by EO. He's gotta have help from a Congressional vote in order to be able to do so, he can't do it via EO alone.

Hey, I'm all for free speech, even if I don't agree with it. That isn't the point though, the point was that Trump said he was going to do something via EO that he clearly can't. That shows that neither Trump nor his supporters know much about how government works.

Wow, I'm impressed. Keep it up, and pretty soon you will be using your other hand to count even higher.

Stfu you annoying troll.

Yes, I see how truth annoys you.

Stfu you annoying troll.

It was a troll post, dipshit.

Go away ya annoying twit.

Stfu you annoying troll.

And that means something coming from the Troll Queen.

Stfu you annoying troll.

I thought TRUMP was visiting the queen?

Stfu you annoying troll.

Wanna compare ratings, shitstain?

more like obama shutting down journalists he doesn't like.
or anti-fa and colleges shutting down conservative speakers
or maybe facebook, twitter, google and many other tech giants shutting down right wing based sites.

but hey - get mad at trump for saying something stupid - of which it was - but show me any real effort to investigate SNL and prove it was anything more than a passing stupid comment you put away to take out in moments like this to be an ass you've always wanted to be.

That's really scary. Every word the POTUS utters has world attention and impact. Has for a long time. Our current president's remarks are seen as nothing more than a passing stupid comment. Is that what you goofy trump supporters hoped for?.
yet the words of previous POTUS's never seemed to bother you.

not playing your one way street pom pom waving ass bullshit. you should know this by now. should the day ever arise you wish to talk intelligently and without bias, hit me up.

til then you're a useless jr high jr varsity cheerleader 4th string substitute.

wave your pom poms high.

Never knew a previous POTUS to lie as often or say as many really dumb things. Trump has taken those things to a whole nuther level.
the media lies at least as much about trump has he "lies"

where's your equal opportunity rage?

oh yea - POM POM bitches don't do that.

You keep stretching. You'll get that straw yet.
YAY DEMS!!

You got that shit DOWN!

We’re really doing our college kids a disservice by not exposing them to different points of view.
Valerie

What's wrong with exposing college students to all points of view as opposed to one?

Curious minds wish to know...

Yeah, I'd like to know that, too.

You would know, had you finished high school and attended the U; you would know that most survey courses do in fact offer courses in, "Comparative Religion", "Comparative Governments" and in Economics; only Kellyanne Conway and Stephanie Sanders offer Alternative Facts.

You would know, had you finished high school and attended the U; you would know that most survey courses do in fact offer courses in, "Comparative Religion", "Comparative Governments" and in Economics; only Kellyanne Conway and Stephanie Sanders offer Alternative Facts.

They had real courses when I was in school, not faggoty Marxist ones. Humanities was bad enough, but that bullshit there takes it to a whole 'nother level.

Btw, you come across as a high school sophomore.

They had real courses when I was in school, not faggoty Marxist ones. Humanities was bad enough, but that bullshit there takes it to a whole 'nother level.

I do? Examples please. In my defense I never posted or thought to post, "not faggoty Marxist ones". BTW, what school did you attend that limited free speech?

I do? Examples please. In my defense I never posted or thought to post, "not faggoty Marxist ones". BTW, what school did you attend that limited free speech?

They were just starting that as I was getting out, so none.

How is that illegal?

It's not quite as simple as you are trying to make it out. The president REQUESTS funding from Congress, then they debate it and pass bills, sending it up to the president to be signed into law. No, Trump can't do it via an EO alone.

Budget Process

Are you claiming that Congress explicitly approves each and every funding grant?

Wrong.

Stfu you annoying troll.

I thought TRUMP was visiting the queen?

Different queen.

Trump can't do this via executive order. If federal funds are to be withheld, Congress has to be the one to do it.

Trump Can’t Cut Off Berkeley’s Funds by Himself. His Threat Still Raised Alarm.

Yes, the federal government has the authority to withhold federal funds like financial aid from colleges that engage in certain activities, Mr. Hartle said. And it has the authority to attach conditions to the money it gives out. The Solomon Amendment, for instance, requires colleges to admit ROTC or military recruiters to their campus or risk losing money.

But Congress would have to act to give the government the ability to take away federal funds for controversies involving the First Amendment, Mr. Hartle said.

The government also couldn’t pull funding from Berkeley by retroactively saying the institution’s federal money is contingent on protecting free speech, said Alexander (Sasha) Volokh, an associate professor of law at Emory University.

"If the funding comes explicitly with strings attached, which is that you must adequately protect free speech on your campus if you want these funds, and if the university takes these funds knowing the condition, that’s one thing," he said.

The U.S. Supreme Court has weighed in several times on strings attached to federal funding, Mr. Volokh said, and has determined that such conditions must be clearly stated in advance and related to the matter being funded.

Protect free speech is very vague and that will not hold up. There has to be a specific definition of what protecting free speech means. For example will white supremacists and neo-nazis like the Proud Boys be protected? Do Republicans want to open that can of worms?

How is that illegal?

Because the courts can overrule Trump.

How is that illegal?

Budget Process

Are you claiming that Congress explicitly approves each and every funding grant?

Wrong.

Congress has to authorize the withholding of funds by the executive branch. They cannot do it on their own.

Forum List

Back