Trump's trade war with China

cabinet.meeting.harvey.jpg

“If I wanted to do nothing with China, my stock market — our stock market — would be 10,000 points higher than it is right now. But somebody had to do this. To me this is much more important than the economy,” our President said today.

Good Lord!

"Somebody had to do this." Why? We have the hottest economy the world has ever known. We have virtual full employment. The trade deficit is normal. Wealthier Americans buy more than the Chinese people. Our economy is 20% larger than China.

What is the freaking problem Trump is trying to solve? He has never answered that question. He just has said he is the "chosen one" who had deal with China.

That is typical Trumpian. Create a problem where none exists.

With a 237 point advance today, the Dow is still less than what it was in January 2018. Trump's trade war with China began in March 2018.

One person is pleased about the weakening of our economy -- Vladimir Putin, the communist dictator of Russia, Trump's mentor.
The problem is that China is a bad actor when it comes to world trade. They openly steal IP, lie contentiously about what they are going to do and try to manipulate the market. It certainly is a problem that needs to be addressed.

The problem is that Trump seems to be utterly ignorant on how to actually address it.

The problem is that China is a bad actor when it comes to world trade. They openly steal IP, lie contentiously about what they are going to do and try to manipulate the market. It certainly is a problem that needs to be addressed.

The problem is that Trump seems to be utterly ignorant on how to actually address it.

Post of the day!

Post of the day!
Idiot of the day!

“If I wanted to do nothing with China, my stock market — our stock market — would be 10,000 points higher than it is right now. But somebody had to do this. To me this is much more important than the economy,” our President said today.

Good Lord!

"Somebody had to do this." Why? We have the hottest economy the world has ever known. We have virtual full employment. The trade deficit is normal. Wealthier Americans buy more than the Chinese people. Our economy is 20% larger than China.

What is the freaking problem Trump is trying to solve? He has never answered that question. He just has said he is the "chosen one" who had deal with China.

With a 237 point advance today, the Dow is still less than what it was in January 2018. Trump's trade war with China began in March 2018.

One person is pleased about the weakening of our economy -- Vladimir Putin, the communist dictator of Russia, Trump's mentor.

What would you, an economic genius do differently....all ears!!!

Good Lord!

Should have gone to the WTO and put together a coalition of other countries who feel China is stealing from them. Made demands for change as a group. Instead trump started trade wars with everybody,

Good Lord!

Instead of perusing economic trade war with the world, I would have used our European and other allies to isolate China. Instead, Trump is isolating the US and trying to take on China without any real leverage leaving a wide open doorway for China to replace the US and become more dominant on the world stage. There is little reason for Xi to bother with making a deal here, Trump is helping him.

I already stated all of this.

Good Lord!

Instead of perusing economic trade war with the world, I would have used our European and other allies to isolate China. Instead, Trump is isolating the US and trying to take on China without any real leverage leaving a wide open doorway for China to replace the US and become more dominant on the world stage. There is little reason for Xi to bother with making a deal here, Trump is helping him.

You know as well as I Europe would never back Trump , hard enough to get them to pay their fair share of NATO!!! And you are an economic duncevwith ourvover $600 billion of year buying from China and these economic tariffs are definitely hurting China badly...on top of their Hong Kong problems they are hemorrhaging money faster than they can replace it.... And who will replace over $600 billion in U.as. money....Europe?.....other Asia countries....South America....get real!

JP Morgan says new US tariffs will test China's ability to prop up its economy - CNBC.com
Aug 16, 2019 · New U.S. tariffs on Chinese goods could deal another blow to the Asian economic giant — and it's not clear how much more Beijing can

Good Lord!

You know as well as I Europe would never back Trump , hard enough to get them to pay their fair share of NATO!!! And you are an economic duncevwith ourvover $600 billion of year buying from China and these economic tariffs are definitely hurting China badly...on top of their Hong Kong problems they are hemorrhaging money faster than they can replace it.... And who will replace over $600 billion in U.as. money....Europe?.....other Asia countries....South America....get real
And the China leader is worried about losing his next election?

Good Lord!

Should have gone to the WTO and put together a coalition of other countries who feel China is stealing from them. Made demands for change as a group. Instead trump started trade wars with everybody,
If other countries had felt that they would have stated it when Trump started...instead they went along with over 30 YEARS of China dominance!

Good Lord!

If other countries had felt that they would have stated it when Trump started...instead they went along with over 30 YEARS of China dominance!
Trump attacked everyone. Europe, Canada, Mexico... why would they take our side after we attacked them?

Good Lord!

The problem was Trump started a trade war with them before turning to China. Why would they join us after Trump attacked them first?

Anyone with more than half a brain knows you do not fight a multi-front war.

the US needs America, but it cant be just any america. it cant be an america where the US president is using the same bullying tactics as Putin, Bin Salman, and Kim!

Good Lord!

You know as well as I Europe would never back Trump , hard enough to get them to pay their fair share of NATO!!!
They would have because we have enormous leverage over them. Well, at least we did have leverage - that has been squandered with tariffs on Europe as well. Trump has managed to diminish our power right before trying to go against China economically. That is monumentally ignorant.

And you are an economic duncevwith ourvover $600 billion of year buying from China and these economic tariffs are definitely hurting China badly...on top of their Hong Kong problems they are hemorrhaging money faster than they can replace it.... And who will replace over $600 billion in U.as. money....Europe?.....other Asia countries....South America....get real!
Who says Xi want to replace every dollar of that? The difference is that the US actually does care about the quality of life its people recive. You cant win reelection hwile pile driving your populace into poverty.

What Xi is looking for is not maximizing economic prosperity for his people. As a virtual dictator, he does not need that. Instead, Xi is looking to diminish US economic influence over the world and increasing China's economic influence over it. That directly leads to increasing Xi's power and influence. I doubt he cares if a million Chinese starve to death to achieve it either.

The real unsettling reality here is that it seems to be working. China's influence over international trade is INCREASING. Ours is decreasing. Trump is handing Xi exactly what he wants, something that Xi could simply not accomplish without Trump handing it to him.

A world with more Chinese influence is not a good one.
JP Morgan says new US tariffs will test China's ability to prop up its economy - CNBC.com
Aug 16, 2019 · New U.S. tariffs on Chinese goods could deal another blow to the Asian economic giant — and it's not clear how much more Beijing can
You drastically overestimate what economic hardships mean to Xi's power and underestimate what it means to Trump's power.

1. You would like to see all those people, just being dependent on the government would you not? So, is that what this is about? Reducing the working class to the Dole?
I'd rather see them clinging bitterly, but humanity intervenes.

Good Lord!

You know as well as I Europe would never back Trump , hard enough to get them to pay their fair share of NATO!!! And you are an economic duncevwith ourvover $600 billion of year buying from China and these economic tariffs are definitely hurting China badly...on top of their Hong Kong problems they are hemorrhaging money faster than they can replace it.... And who will replace over $600 billion in U.as. money....Europe?.....other Asia countries....South America....get real
And the China leader is worried about losing his next election?
I guess you haven't heard that main land Chinese are joining the Hong Kong protests....he will have to put them down ruthlessly to stop it and become a real

Good Lord!

Trump attacked everyone. Europe, Canada, Mexico... why would they take our side after we attacked them?
To stop the attacks....duh

Good Lord!

You know as well as I Europe would never back Trump , hard enough to get them to pay their fair share of NATO!!!
They would have because we have enormous leverage over them. Well, at least we did have leverage - that has been squandered with tariffs on Europe as well. Trump has managed to diminish our power right before trying to go against China economically. That is monumentally ignorant.

And you are an economic duncevwith ourvover $600 billion of year buying from China and these economic tariffs are definitely hurting China badly...on top of their Hong Kong problems they are hemorrhaging money faster than they can replace it.... And who will replace over $600 billion in U.as. money....Europe?.....other Asia countries....South America....get real!
Who says Xi want to replace every dollar of that? The difference is that the US actually does care about the quality of life its people recive. You cant win reelection hwile pile driving your populace into poverty.

What Xi is looking for is not maximizing economic prosperity for his people. As a virtual dictator, he does not need that. Instead, Xi is looking to diminish US economic influence over the world and increasing China's economic influence over it. That directly leads to increasing Xi's power and influence. I doubt he cares if a million Chinese starve to death to achieve it either.

The real unsettling reality here is that it seems to be working. China's influence over international trade is INCREASING. Ours is decreasing. Trump is handing Xi exactly what he wants, something that Xi could simply not accomplish without Trump handing it to him.

A world with more Chinese influence is not a good one.
You drastically overestimate what economic hardships mean to Xi's power and underestimate what it means to Trump's power.
Europe is playing us as China is.....and being WE are the economic engine of the world we should be able to have FAIR TRADE

Europe is playing us as China is.....and being WE are the economic engine of the world we should be able to have FAIR TRADE

There is no such thing as FAIR TRADE. Fair is a fairy tale, life is not fair.

What we should strive for is mutually beneficial trade.

Trump is showing the world that we are maybe not the economic engine of the world, they are moving on without us, which is the very worst thing that could happen.

There is no such thing as FAIR TRADE. Fair is a fairy tale, life is not fair.

What we should strive for is mutually beneficial trade.

Trump is showing the world that we are maybe not the economic engine of the world, they are moving on without us, which is the very worst thing that could happen.
Which is why Jina is more than happy to have Trump pull us out of the WTO.

And that's not to say it's ok for Jina to deny entry to it's markets w/o giving up IP. But the EU negotiated their own deal on this in the spring, while Trump was busy starting fights with the EU as well as Jina.

Forum List

Back