Trump's trade war with China

The problem is that China is a bad actor when it comes to world trade. They openly steal IP, lie contentiously about what they are going to do and try to manipulate the market. It certainly is a problem that needs to be addressed.

The problem is that Trump seems to be utterly ignorant on how to actually address it.
What would you, an economic genius do differently....all ears!!!
Instead of perusing economic trade war with the world, I would have used our European and other allies to isolate China. Instead, Trump is isolating the US and trying to take on China without any real leverage leaving a wide open doorway for China to replace the US and become more dominant on the world stage. There is little reason for Xi to bother with making a deal here, Trump is helping him.

I already stated all of this.

You know as well as I Europe would never back Trump , hard enough to get them to pay their fair share of NATO!!!
They would have because we have enormous leverage over them. Well, at least we did have leverage - that has been squandered with tariffs on Europe as well. Trump has managed to diminish our power right before trying to go against China economically. That is monumentally ignorant.

And you are an economic duncevwith ourvover $600 billion of year buying from China and these economic tariffs are definitely hurting China badly...on top of their Hong Kong problems they are hemorrhaging money faster than they can replace it.... And who will replace over $600 billion in U.as. money....Europe?.....other Asia countries....South America....get real!
Who says Xi want to replace every dollar of that? The difference is that the US actually does care about the quality of life its people recive. You cant win reelection hwile pile driving your populace into poverty.

What Xi is looking for is not maximizing economic prosperity for his people. As a virtual dictator, he does not need that. Instead, Xi is looking to diminish US economic influence over the world and increasing China's economic influence over it. That directly leads to increasing Xi's power and influence. I doubt he cares if a million Chinese starve to death to achieve it either.

The real unsettling reality here is that it seems to be working. China's influence over international trade is INCREASING. Ours is decreasing. Trump is handing Xi exactly what he wants, something that Xi could simply not accomplish without Trump handing it to him.

A world with more Chinese influence is not a good one.
JP Morgan says new US tariffs will test China's ability to prop up its economy - CNBC.com
Aug 16, 2019 · New U.S. tariffs on Chinese goods could deal another blow to the Asian economic giant — and it's not clear how much more Beijing can
You drastically overestimate what economic hardships mean to Xi's power and underestimate what it means to Trump's power.
Europe is playing us as China is.....and being WE are the economic engine of the world we should be able to have FAIR TRADE
The whole worlds is playing with us and taking advantage of us. That is why we are the premier economy on the planet. It is why we, with less than 5% of the population, have managed to garner a full quarter of all the wealth on the planet.

Your position requires a massive amount of doublethink.

Trump is a changed, humbled man. the presidency has changed him.

the great weight of the presidency, with all its trappings and ceremony, has rested upon Trump's shoulders and humbled him, turning the hubristic NY businessman into a leader every american admires.

1. You would like to see all those people, just being dependent on the government would you not? So, is that what this is about? Reducing the working class to the Dole?
I'd rather see them clinging bitterly, but humanity intervenes.

I want to see them with good jobs, with good incomes and good lives.

I'm not sure where your hostility comes from, but I am beginning to see why you side with China in this trade war.

Because you hate the Americans you think it will help.

I am beginning to see why you side with China in this trade war.
It isn't China presently playing hardball with the prosperity of millions/billions. That sort of thing comes with consequences.

Last edited:
I'm not sure where your hostility comes from
Reading idiots insist others pull themselves up by their bootstraps when they're barefoot. It gets old quickly.

Thank you for not denying your hostility.

NOW your position makes sense. You side with the Chinese in the Trade War, because you are hostile to the Americans you think winning would help.

You would rather see those jobs and that wealth going to Chinese workers and the Chinese government, than to your fellow Americans.

I am beginning to see why you side with China in this trade war.
It isn't China presently playing hardball with the prosperity of millions. That sort of thing comes with consequences.

Sure it is. THey have been doing so for decades. Massive trade surpluses move jobs and wealth from HERE, to THERE.

And that is why you oppose it. You would rather see those jobs and wealth go to China, rather than to your fellow Americans.

Massive trade surpluses move jobs and wealth from HERE, to THERE.
US manufacturers move jobs and wealth from there to there. But you look pretty in victimhood. It suits you.

Rather it is US manufacturers moving factories, or Chinese factors growing the effect is the same. And both are included under "trade surpluses", you ass.

Pointing out the negative impact of such trade policy is legitimate and the only reason you pretend it is not, is because you hate those you think would benefit if we reversed this.

You are an anti-American asshole.

I have got good news, and I have got bad news. The good news is the Dow is up 373 points. We finally have surpassed where we were in January 2018.

The bad news is, the reason for the leap forward is that Chinese officials agreed to resume talks. Meaning, thanks to Trump, Wall Street is dependent upon what China does.

Thank you, Mr. President.

I have got good news, and I have got bad news. The good news is the Dow is up 373 points. We finally have surpassed where we were in January 2018.

The bad news is, the reason for the leap forward is that Chinese officials agreed to resume talks. Meaning, thanks to Trump, Wall Street is dependent upon what China does.

Thank you, Mr. President.

American corporations have adjusted to the reality of the US being the world's bitch on trade.

If Trump manages to fix that, it will upset their current business models.

Seems worth it, and I speak as someone heavily invested in stocks.

cabinet.meeting.harvey.jpg

“If I wanted to do nothing with China, my stock market — our stock market — would be 10,000 points higher than it is right now. But somebody had to do this. To me this is much more important than the economy,” our President said today.

Good Lord!

"Somebody had to do this." Why? We have the hottest economy the world has ever known. We have virtual full employment. The trade deficit is normal. Wealthier Americans buy more than the Chinese people. Our economy is 20% larger than China.

What is the freaking problem Trump is trying to solve? He has never answered that question. He just has said he is the "chosen one" who had deal with China.

That is typical Trumpian. Create a problem where none exists.

With a 237 point advance today, the Dow is still less than what it was in January 2018. Trump's trade war with China began in March 2018.

One person is pleased about the weakening of our economy -- Vladimir Putin, the communist dictator of Russia, Trump's mentor.
The problem is that China is a bad actor when it comes to world trade. They openly steal IP, lie contentiously about what they are going to do and try to manipulate the market. It certainly is a problem that needs to be addressed.

The problem is that Trump seems to be utterly ignorant on how to actually address it.

I would ask Trump to resign immediately to save America from economic catastrophe.

cabinet.meeting.harvey.jpg

“If I wanted to do nothing with China, my stock market — our stock market — would be 10,000 points higher than it is right now. But somebody had to do this. To me this is much more important than the economy,” our President said today.

Good Lord!

"Somebody had to do this." Why? We have the hottest economy the world has ever known. We have virtual full employment. The trade deficit is normal. Wealthier Americans buy more than the Chinese people. Our economy is 20% larger than China.

What is the freaking problem Trump is trying to solve? He has never answered that question. He just has said he is the "chosen one" who had deal with China.

That is typical Trumpian. Create a problem where none exists.

With a 237 point advance today, the Dow is still less than what it was in January 2018. Trump's trade war with China began in March 2018.

One person is pleased about the weakening of our economy -- Vladimir Putin, the communist dictator of Russia, Trump's mentor.

I would ask Trump to resign immediately to save America from economic catastrophe.

Some libs have admitted that the reason they oppose Trump, is that they hate the Americans an American victory would help.

You are an anti-American asshole.
Hoho. Me?!?

You're not even prepared to look after your dispossessed fellow citizens. Why do you hate Americans?

Your hate for them, some of them anyways, has already been admitted.

NOt sure why you are being weird about it now.

I'm showing you respect by taking your words seriously.

Don't you understand that?

As to me, I dont' want to see them on the Dole, or "clinging bitterly" or whatever.

I want them to have good jobs and good wages and good lives.

Forum List

Back